Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Spring ahead before going to bed

Spring ahead before going to bed

First anniversary of extended Daylight Saving Time
    Sat Mar 08, 2008

Don't forget to set your clock ahead one hour before going to bed tonight, Saturday, March 8.

Homeowners and businesses across North America will spring ahead tonight for tomorrow's first anniversary of our switch to extended DST, and the annual, sudden addition of daylight into our evenings.

The brainchild of Benjamin Franklin in 1784, Daylight Saving Time has been ticking off people since Germany, and then England, first tried it in 1916. Moving clocks ahead in spring gained a solid foothold during the energy rationing of World War II and the U.S. stretched DST to nine months during the oil crisis in the mid-1970s.

Our current additional six weeks of Daylight Saving Time – three in March and three in October/November – show some actual savings. The province's Independent Electricity Service Operator found a small drop in energy demand and use, says spokesperson Martine Holmsen.

During last March's extra three weeks' Daylight Saving Time, peak evening demand dropped 225 megawatt-hours, roughly the peak demand of a community the size of Guelph.

"We'd like to see the results over a greater period of time," says Holmsen. "But anything that can reduce electricity demand and consumption is a good thing."

As always, it is recommended you change the batteries in your fire alarms, to coincide with the time change.

-- with files from Torstar Network
    http://newsdurhamregion.com/news/Breaki ... icle/95015
    From the Border Movie:

I will not sell my country out ~ I WILL NOT!
    I'd like to see that pride back in AMERICA!!!

You hardly ever hear any mention of our vulnerable school children who are exposed to more dangerous conditions from increased darkness in the mornings while they're walking and waiting at school bus stops! For this reason only, I think they should leave the time alone!!! Of course, when is the last time our government has paid homage to their frequent lip service that: "our children are our future???"

UT ..just ONE illegal is too many, let’s start w/the usurper & his cronies..!! ;)

Re: Spring ahead before going to bed

Quote Originally Posted by safari
    "..Don't forget to set your clock ahead one hour.."
    Does AliPac's site automatically adjust for this, or do we have to reset our time in preferences.. ?
    No need for ‘mass roundups’, simply ENFORCE EXISTING law*& MANDATE the worker ID, ..but SEVEN amnesties? Hmm, WHO cried wolf?!

Good question as the posting times don't always match with my clock and date.

Your cpu SHOULD automatically update (mine had once I rebooted).

From the Border Movie:

I will not sell my country out ~ I WILL NOT!
    I'd like to see that pride back in AMERICA!!!

UT ..just ONE illegal is too many, let’s start w/the usurper & his cronies..!! ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by safari
    "..Good question as the posting times don't always match with my clock and date..".

[Yeah, I see AliPAc's times are still back an hour, might have to do it manually.. ]

"..Your cpu SHOULD automatically update (mine had once I rebooted)..."

[CPU..? my PC of course, has already adusted the time back at 2am.. ]

No need for ‘mass roundups’, simply ENFORCE EXISTING law*& MANDATE the worker ID, ..but SEVEN amnesties? Hmm, WHO cried wolf?!