Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

States hire foreign teachers to ease shortages

States hire foreign teachers to ease shortages

Updated: Today at 4:18 p.m.

BAY MINETTE, Ala. — The school system in coastal Baldwin County - 60 miles by 25 miles of Alabama farmland framed on two sides by waterfront towns - was short on teachers, especially in courses such as math and science.

So short, in fact, that district officials went around the world last year, with expenses paid by a teacher recruiting firm, and brought back Michel Olalo of Manila and 11 other Filipinos to teach along the shores of the Gulf Coast and Mobile Bay and in the communities in between.

That raised some eyebrows in Baldwin County, where nine out of 10 people are white, just one in 50 is foreign-born and, as the county's teacher recruiter Tom Sisk noted recently, "Many of our children will never travel outside the United States."

Yet school administrators throughout the U.S. are plucking from an abundance of skilled international teachers, a burgeoning import that critics call shortsighted but educators here and abroad say meets the needs of students and qualified candidates.

"All my friends were applying," said Olalo, hired through San Mateo, Calif.-based Avenida International Consultants to teach physics. "I thought, why don't I try it? Luckily, when I was lined up for an interview, it was people from Baldwin County."

The U.S. Department of Education doesn't monitor how many foreigners are working in American classrooms, spokeswoman Elissa Leonard said, but a federal survey released in May confirmed the dearth of math and science teachers, chiefly due to retirement by baby boomers.

As far back as five years ago, the National Education Association estimated that up to 10,000 foreigners already were teaching U.S. students in primary and secondary schools, mainly to fill vacancies in math, science, foreign languages and special education.

The largest single sponsor of foreign teachers, according to the NEA, is Chapel Hill, N.C.-based Visiting International Faculty, which claims it has 1,500 teachers from more than 55 countries in districts in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland and California. The firm has placed teachers mostly in the South as it branches out from its Chapel Hill base, spokeswoman Leslie Maxwell said.

Critics view the international teacher market as a quick fix that can frustrate students and foreign hires alike.

If foreign teachers "are recruited into schools and communities lacking the kinds of support that all new teachers need, they may not stay," said David Haselkorn, policy research director at the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation in Princeton, N.J., which recruits recent college graduates with education degrees and professionals from certain fields to teach in low-income communities.

Janet Lipscomb, president of the Parent Teacher Organization at Foley High in Baldwin County, said the students liked the Filipino teachers but some experienced a "communication gap," particularly when students used slang.

"The students cut up a lot. Some of that may have been misinterpreted by the teachers," said Lipscomb, a substitute teacher at the high school.

But Chris Fredrick, an 11-year-old at Cedar Grove Middle School in Decatur, Ga., enjoys the earth science class taught by Uzma Masood, who was recruited by Georgia-based In-talage Inc. to come from Hyderabad, India.

"I like her. I like what we do in class. We're active in the class. We're not just sitting there all day," he said.

On a recent school day, students were highly responsive to Masood as she constantly walked around the classroom and encouraged students instead of just lecturing them.

"I like her class because sometimes if we don't understand something she'll break it down for us," said Pedruna Adams, also 11.

Masood, 32, wearing black pin-stripe pants, a turquoise Indian tunic and a black hijab on her head, spoke with an accent as she conducted activities that got students up out of their seats in the classroom, which looked typical for 6th grade. Big block letters cut out of blue construction paper were across the front, above the white board: EXPLORE THE WORLD THROUGH SCIENCE.

"I always introduce myself on the first day and tell them I'm from a different country and explain that I have an accent and they can ask me if they don't understand something. Usually within two or three days they get used to it and don't have any problems," Masood said.

"She is a wonderful teacher," said Agnes Flanagan, principal of the school. "I don't understand some people's philosophy of not wanting visiting teachers. I wouldn't mind having a building full of them. She's very dynamic and the kids love her."

Philippine Education Secretary Jesli Lapus said the Philippine teachers hired for U.S. classrooms are those most proficient in English and who look at America as "a second home ... it's not like a strange place."

"These teachers, they all grew up reading American books," he said.

Proponents note that international teachers typically have a higher level of subject expertise in the classroom and can expose young students to a new culture.

Also, the pool of candidates overseas is much bigger than locally.

"We interviewed 180 applicants in five days" in Manila, Sisk said. In the U.S., he did not meet that many candidates on visits to 20 or 30 colleges.

Immigration officials say the temporary work visas used to hire foreign teachers create no path by themselves to permanent U.S. residency, and teachers have no advantage over any other group seeking the visas.

For foreign teachers, the U.S. job market offers much better pay than at home. Lapus said the starting monthly salary for a public school teacher there is about $300 a month. In Alabama, the starting salary set by state law is about 10 times more - a minimum $36,144 for a teacher with a bachelor's degree and no experience.

"This is the global rule of the game now," Lapus said in an interview in Manila.

He said the hiring of Filipinos for U.S. jobs is a testament to their competence and is a loss, but not a large one, to the Philippine education system, which has 500,000 public school teachers and some 30,000 new ones taking the licensing exam each year.

"We cannot even absorb all those who pass," he said.

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/3540975/
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This is just insane.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Parents with GEDs could have taught school lessons; what is wrong with these school officials.

Related post explaining I-9s usage:
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-131673.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Masood, 32, wearing black pin-stripe pants, a turquoise Indian tunic and a black hijab on her head, spoke with an accent as she conducted activities that got students up out of their seats in the classroom, which looked typical for 6th grade. Big block letters cut out of blue construction paper were across the front, above the white board: EXPLORE THE WORLD THROUGH SCIENCE.
    I vehemently object!!! I don't care what country a person is from but this flagrant display of religiion with the hijab is not needed in a science class. The French outlawed even wearing headscraves in their school institutions:

THIS WAS from 2003!!!
    French scarf ban comes into force
    A law banning Islamic headscarves and other religious symbols from French state schools came into effect on Thursday, the first day of term.
    So far, most pupils have been observing the law by removing the headscarf or other symbols before entering school.

The lives of two French reporters, held by Iraqi militants who want the ban scrapped, still hang in the balance.

The French government has refused to give in to the militants, who have threatened to kill the two.

But Paris is continuing a diplomatic effort to secure their release.

HEADSCARF BAN
    Ban proposed in December 2003 and backed by parliament in March
    Came into effect at start of new school year on 2 September
    Lays down that "conspicuous" religious items may not be worn in schools
    Forbidden items will include Muslim headscarf, Sikh turbans, Jewish skullcap and large Christian crucifixes

French education authorities with a large Arab population were on high alert on Thursday. Teams of mediators were on hand to intervene in any dispute.

Schools have been told not to automatically exclude pupils who arrive wearing headscarves, but to try and avert a showdown through dialogue.

The law, which affects 12 million children, calls for a period of dialogue, although Education Minister Francois Fillon has stressed that there is no room for negotiations.

"There is no question today of excluding. It is a question of convincing," he said.

As classes opened, one Muslim girl in the working-class Paris suburb of Aubervilliers said she had left her headscarf at home.

"I was always treated badly and I felt uncomfortable, so I decided to take it off," Nadia Arabi, 16, told the Associated Press before heading through the gates of Henri Wallon school.
    The ban is not only affecting Muslims. Sikhs argue that their turbans are not religious symbols.

Young Sikh Ranjit, 15, went to the Jean-Rostand school in the Parisian suburb of Villepinte on Thursday morning to get his new timetable, wearing a thin strip of material on his hair rather than his customary turban, AFP news agency reports.

Unity

The ban is designed to maintain France's tradition of strictly separating state and religion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3619988.stm

Some school districts are simply hiring foreign workers because they are cheaper, and because good teachers don't get paid nearly what they should.

Let's think about paying better and getting better and why not think about educating our own.

There is also the problem of language. I don't know about some foreign teachers, by my daughter had some in college that she could not understand. One in particular in a class she had to have to keep her scholarship. It was a subject many had had in high school, but ours didn't offer it.

She kept asking the teacher to repeat and she was rude to her. She went to her counselor and was told she couldn't help her.

She just dropped the subject and lost her scholarship.

I have friends that loved teaching but had to quit because they werent paid enough. Its a real shame. Why dont teachers receive better pay? Because its part of the NAU plan to REPLACE Americans with foreign labor at half the cost.

AMERICA: WAKE UP! IF WE CONTINUE TO HAVE A-HOLES RUNNING OUR COUNTRY, WE ARE ALL REPLACABLE. NO ONE'S JOB IS SAFE ANYMORE, NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU KNOW OR HOW WELL YOU PERFORM.

Get on the phone with your reps and DEMAND that you get what you are paying them for!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I would rather see Americans who work in other professions be recruited instead of foreign teachers being brought in to teach our students. They have talked about successful people in business or others being teachers to help fill in gaps.

Ephesians 4:32
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

MW
    Personally, I think this all goes back to "cheaper" labor. The foreign teachers will work for less pay.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

My daughter came home for a year to add some courses in order to become a teacher.

She worked full time, sang in church choir for pay, took heavy courseload.

A friend of hers from AZ, emailed her an article that stated one of the school districts there (Scottsdale, I' pretty sure), were going to solve their money problems, by bringing in foreign teachers, and forcing retirement of some eligible.

It is all about money -