Comment Section Alert!

Study finds foreigners in 80pc of new jobs

By Robert Winnett, Deputy Political Editor
Last Updated: 2:41am GMT 12/12/2007

Have your say Read comments

More than 80 per cent of new jobs created by Labour over the last decade have gone to foreign-born workers, a new analysis of official figures claims.
# Mohammed to beat Jack as top UK boys' name
# Have your say: Are too many jobs going to foreign workers?

The Statistics Commission found in a study that 1.4 million of the 1.7 million jobs created since 1997 had been filled by those born overseas.
advertisement

Chris Grayling, the shadow work and pensions secretary, said last night: "The reality is that for all the billions spent by Gordon Brown on welfare-to-work programmes all he actually seems to be doing is creating British jobs for foreign workers."

The Statistics Commission was asked to study the proportion of foreign workers filling new jobs in Britain following confusion over Government statistics released in the autumn.

After publishing incorrect data, ministers said that 2.1 million jobs had been created in the past decade - 54 per cent of which, or 1.1 million, had gone to foreign workers.

However, the Statistics Commission said the proportion of new jobs going to foreigners was as high as 81 per cent.

Firstly, it used a lower estimate - 1.7 million - for the number of new jobs created since Labour came to power. This figure is lower because it excludes jobs taken by people over pensionable age.

It also used a higher estimate of 1.4 million for the number of foreign workers who have taken these jobs. This includes the 1.1 million in the Government figures, plus an additional 300,000 workers who were born abroad but have British citizenship.

By using these estimates, it came up with the higher proportion of 81 per cent.

The Commission says that Government departments are discussing which one should become the standard measure.

Frank Field, a former Labour minister who requested that the Statistics Commission study the figures, said: "I'm sure that 81 per cent is the most valid figure otherwise it would never have been released.

"It is now even more urgent that the Government controls our borders from Eastern Europe."

Last night, the Department of Work and Pensions defended its use of the lowest figure.

A spokesman said: "The best estimates for the number of jobs that have gone to foreign nationals since 1997 still stand and have been confirmed by this report.

"Of the 2.1 million increase in employment since 1997, about 1 million were UK nationals and 1.1 million foreign nationals."

Have your say

Print this page as text only
Email this story

Post this story to: del.icio.us | Digg | Newsvine | NowPublic | Reddit

Related articles
Mohammed to beat Jack as top UK boys' name
9 December 2007: No accent too thick for a UK job, says minister
5 December 2007: UK to launch scheme for high-flying migrants
4 November 2007: Economic effect of immigration is unclear
Comments

Forget conspiracy theories. Issues such as illegal immigration, free trade, de-industrialization, and the worldwide destruction of Judeo-Christian values make sense after reading this book:

The Shock Doctrine
by Naomi Klein
Posted by Arnold G on December 12, 2007 6:16 PM
Report this comment

Great Britian and America are both being invaded by the third world. Our governments welcome these invaders and their third world "culture" with open arms. Neither of our peoples want to become a third world nation, yet governments ignore our wishes.
Something is rotten in Denmark.
Posted by Kevin on December 12, 2007 10:59 AM
Report this comment

Most people do not realise how the self empoyed British working man has been destroyed by this huge influx of East Europeans, legal and illegal. I used to be a self employed builder but because of the cut rate Poles and other immigrants all my work dried up. I started up a small removals company but soon found that the immigrants were into that as well. Now I am working as a landscaper scrabbling for work, keeping one step ahead of the Poles.
All indigenous, home grown self employed grafters will tell the same story. It's been devastating for us as we watch our work being taken by foreigners.
How did this country survive and run an Empire without all these immigrants for the past few thousand years?
Posted by Des on December 12, 2007 10:38 AM
Report this comment

We think its bad now but it will get worse because the "big three" are actually proud of their "achievements" and don't see that there is a problem because they are the problem. Ironically the public tend to vote for them. I've switched.
Posted by Ian Edwards on December 12, 2007 9:35 AM
Report this comment

Too many jobs going to foreign borns? Certainly not. English isn't English any more. It's foreign.
Posted by rub on December 12, 2007 3:56 AM
Report this comment

You poor Brits deserve your trouble because you let these people in with no requirements. Now you pay the price. I doubt there will be a Britian in twenty years. Only another backward Muslim nation.
Posted by Jeremiah Ray on December 12, 2007 12:51 AM
Report this comment

I was born here to Polish parents and yes Britain (England especially) is tragically losing it's identity. You only need to go to Europe to see how countries there have a vastly more homogenous indigenous make-up. I honestly believe the social, class & ethnic divisions have been purposefully created:-, divide & conquer. The politicians we know of do not make the decisions in the UK, but rather the real people in power live behind the scenes; who are they and what medium/long term agenda are they (successfully!) implementing? I'd start by looking at everyone who's come here in the last 15 years and means test them on: (i)English language ability; (ii)+/- financial contribution into the 'National Pot', ie have they been scrounging benefits for themselves & numerous kids or have they paid taxes & NI; If the criteria aren't met I'd deport them to their country of origin and they're dependants; they'd have no say on any material ownership as they were scrounging on benefits. Then, for example, your Somalian refugee with 3 kids would have all scrounging payments removed and in order to get any health care for her or her kids she'd have to prove that she's not a scrounger. By the way, just in case I'm labelled a racist, the same would apply to Caucasian Europeans! Manufacturing would be rebuilt in this country, all the (angry & I don't blame them) working class would be re-educated, weaned off benefits and given their country back. I'd destroy the rampant & destructive consumerism and attempt to bring back a sense of kinmanship and nationhood. Please don't call me a racist nationalist or say my views are similar to Hitler! Instead, please try and see that most people I converse with feel the same as I do!
Posted by Peter Rozkowiec on December 11, 2007 10:40 PM
Report this comment

i am deeply saddened that our cultural heritage is being lost in a sea of immigrants not willing to embrace the culture and ways of their adopted homeland, why come to live in a new country with different traits to your native country if your native country is the reason you seek a new start.
Posted by robert lloyd on December 11, 2007 8:46 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...reigner111.xml