Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Supreme Court Rules For Colorado Baker in Same-Sex Wedding Cake Case

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Supreme Court Rules For Colorado Baker in Same-Sex Wedding Cake Case

Supreme Court rules for Colorado baker in same-sex wedding cake case

June 4, 2018

Ariana de Vogue

The Supreme Court ruled narrowly in favor of a Colorado baker who refused to bake a cake to celebrate the marriage of a same sex couple because of a religious objection.

The ruling was 7-2.

The court held that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission showed hostility toward the baker based on his religious beliefs. The ruling is a win for baker Jack Phillips but leaves unsettled the broader constitutional questions the case presented.

The ruling, written by Justice Anthony Kennedy, is not the wide-ranging ruling on religious liberty that some expected. It is tailored to the case at hand with the justices holding that members of the Colorado Civil Rights Commission showed animus toward Phillips specifically when they suggested his claims of religious freedom was made to justify discrimination.

The case was one of the most anticipated rulings of the term and was considered by some as a follow up from the Court's decision two years ago to clear the way for same sex marriage nationwide. That opinion expressed respect for those with religious objections to gay marriage.

This story is breaking and will be updated.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...ase/ar-AAydeak
    Last edited by GeorgiaPeach; 06-04-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I’m the Masterpiece Cakeshop baker. Will the Supreme Court uphold my freedom?

By Jack Phillips

April 26

Jack Phillips is the owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop in Lakewood, Colo.

Many people have asked me how I’m feeling as I await the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling in my case, Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission. My answer changes moment by moment because my feelings are a whirlwind. More than anything, though, I wonder if there will be a place in the community for me when the dust settles. Will this big, diverse country of ours still have room for me and the millions of others who share my beliefs about marriage?

At times, my concerns are quite specific. I consider whether I’ll ever again get to do the wedding art that I loved. Will I get to see that gleam in a bride’s eye when my cake design captures her vision for the big day?

Will my shop survive the 40 percent loss of business that we suffered when the government forced us to decide to stop designing wedding cakes? Or will everything that my wife and I worked for be gone?

I also wonder whether the people who have taken an interest in my case truly understand who I am and how I operate. It’s really quite simple: I serve everyone, but I can’t create custom cakes that express messages or celebrate events in conflict with my faith. That is why I told the gentlemen who are suing me that, even though I couldn’t design a custom cake to celebrate their same-sex marriage, I’d be happy to sell them anything else in my shop or create a cake for them for another occasion.

Everyone is welcome in my shop — be it homeless folks (many of whom I’ve befriended over coffee, cookies and conversation), the two men who are suing me, or anyone else who finds their way in. The God that I serve, whose arms are open to all, expects that of me, and it is my joy to obey Him. But creating a cake that celebrates a view of marriage in conflict with my faith is not something that I can do.

It is troubling to imagine what the future looks like for me and the millions of others — whether Muslims, Orthodox Jews or fellow Christians — who believe as part of their faith that marriage is the union of a man and a woman. After years of my state telling me that I must hide, ignore or reject that belief, my sense is that we just don’t belong anymore.

The government’s hostility toward my beliefs has spread through pockets of my community. My life and the lives of my family have been threatened repeatedly. Last year, one man swore that he’d shoot me in the head, and another threatened to kill me with a machete — all for declining to create a wedding cake. The threats and harassment have been so bad at times that my wife has been too afraid to set foot in our shop.

If the Supreme Court rules against me, I fear it will only get worse. The law, I’ve come to learn, not only dictates what you may do, but it also teaches what you ought to do. If the highest court in the land banishes my beliefs from the marketplace, that will embolden others to continue treating me with scorn and contempt.

That sort of ruling will also exclude people who share my beliefs from certain artistic work and creative professions. I shudder to think what I’d say if my granddaughter one day tells me that she wants to design wedding cakes like I did. I guess I’ll tell her that she must choose between the faith we taught her and the wedding-cake artistry I showed her.

But if the court upholds my freedom to serve all people while declining to design cakes that celebrate certain events, that would welcome me back into the community from which I’ve been estranged. Those who are opposing me in court have compared me to racists and argued that I’m deserving of their fate — social marginalization. But a ruling for me would reject all that and declare to the world that my faith is not a scarlet letter.

We all want to belong. I’m no different. The Supreme Court’s decision in my case will say a lot about the First Amendment. But I sure hope the court makes it clear that I belong, too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.6d841e9f4cdf
    Last edited by GeorgiaPeach; 06-04-2018 at 11:23 AM.
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

What Bias? Media Calls Supreme Court 7-2 Decision in Favor of Christian Baker a “Narrow Win”

Jim Hoft

June 4, 2018

On Monday the Supreme Court ruled in a 7-2 vote in favor of Christian baker Jack Phillips.

The Supremes ruled Phillips had the right to refuse to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple.

Gay activists protest the Masterpiece Cakeshop in 2012. Owner Jack Phillips faced charges for not baking a wedding cake for the gay couple. (Free Republic)

The liberal media immediately went into spin mode.

The mainstream media called the 7-2 decision a “narrow win.”

NPR reported: In Narrow Decision, Supreme Court Decides In Favor Of Baker Over Same-Sex Couple

The AP: BREAKING: Supreme Court rules narrowly for Colorado baker who wouldn’t make same-sex wedding cake.

NBC
    : In narrow ruling, Supreme Court gives victory to baker who refused to make cake for gay wedding

Reuters: Supreme Court hands narrow victory to Christian baker from Colorado who refused for religious reasons to make wedding cake for gay couple

USA Today:
    Narrow Supreme Court ruling in favor of baker refusing to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple did not resolve whether other opponents of same-sex marriage, such as florists and photographers, can refuse commercial wedding services to gay couples.

Donald Trump Jr. noticed the liberal bias.

Donald Trump Jr.

@DonaldJTrumpJr

·
    I am reading about a 7 - 2 vote. Pretty sure that's not narrowly... At least 2 dem leaning justices must have agreed.
    AP Politics

@AP_Politics

BREAKING: Supreme Court rules narrowly for Colorado baker who wouldn’t make same-sex wedding cake.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...-a-narrow-win/
    Last edited by GeorgiaPeach; 06-04-2018 at 02:20 PM.

(Tweets at Link)

Yes, the Masterpiece Cakeshop decision was ‘narrow’

June 4, 2018

Chris Pandolfo

On Monday the Supreme Court handed down its ruling in the case of a Colorado baker who was penalized after he refused to bake a cake for a same-sex couple’s wedding, citing his religious objection.

The court ruled 7-2 in favor of Masterpiece Cakeshop, holding that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission was hostile to the baker because of his religious beliefs. Many conservatives were quick to celebrate the ruling as a victory for religious liberty.

Some also criticized the media for reporting the 7-2 decision as “narrow.”

But as CR senior editor Daniel Horowitz and others have explained, the ruling itself, not the split of justices, is narrow and does not resolve the controversy over constitutional protections for free exercise of religion vs. anti-discrimination laws.

Don’t be confused. The decision is narrow in the sense that it does not answer the question of whether an individual with religious convictions opposed to gay marriage may decline to serve a gay wedding.

https://www.conservativereview.com/n..._campaign=crfb

Last edited by GeorgiaPeach; 06-04-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    What Bias? Media Calls Supreme Court 7-2 Decision in Favor of Christian Baker a “Narrow Win”
    To quote Roseanne, "’cause you’re a goodhearted person who can’t do simple math.” These left-wing reporters can't do simple math!

So this big win, (not narrow, 5-4 is narrow, 7-2 is wide margin), supports artistic expression protected under the First Amendment. Well, I hope ABC is watching, because if the baker can refuse a cake for gays, Roseanne can make a joke about Jarrett. Get the ducks lined up!!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn