Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Swiss minaret ban condemned by Vatican

Swiss minaret ban condemned by Vatican

The Vatican has condemned the Swiss ban on the construction of Islamic minarets as a 'blow to freedom of religion'.

Published: 11:57AM GMT 30 Nov 2009

The comment by a Vatican spokesman followed criticism from across Europe.

On Sunday voters in Switzerland voted yes to a referendum which bans the building of minarets on top of mosques used by the country's small Muslim minority.

Earlier on Monday the French foreign minister, Bernard Kouchner, said he was "scandalised" by the Swiss decision and said it represented a "show of intolerance" by France's neighbour.

He said it was a "negative" move because banning the construction of Muslim mosque towers amounts to "oppressing a religion".

He told France's RTL radio: "I hope that the Swiss will go back on this decision rather quickly."

Muslim groups in Switzerland and abroad condemned the vote as anti-Islamic.

In staunchly secular France, legislators are holding discussions that could lead to a ban on the burka - the face-covering Islamic veil.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... tican.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Perhaps the Vatican would like to build a monestary in Saudi Arabia?

French have always been a pecular people to me, but this makes me wonder what they have been ingesting. To protest a sovereign nation's right to make its own laws is duplicity at the utmost.
    Duplicity as quite a few years ago the French banned headscarves in public schools. Now what would be more disruptiive to citizens? Headscarves on school children or minarets with prayer calls before dawn?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by roundabout
    Perhaps the Vatican would like to build a monestary in Saudi Arabia?
    LOL! I'd love to see that happen and then hear his explaination as to why it was bombed.