Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tea Party offers a way to change Washington

USA TODAY'S READER'S Opinions

Tea Party offers a way to change Washington
    Danny Hart - Puryear, Tenn.

I think it is a great idea to start a new political party. Count me in. It is time for the American people to wake up, stand up and let Washington know enough is enough (" 'Take America back,' " Opposing view, Political rebellion debate, Feb. 5).

It is a shame that Democrats and Republicans cannot work together to come up with a health care package that will be fair to all. It is a shame that when they do put a plan together, it includes millions of dollars in pork barrel projects. It makes you wonder who our government is working for — Main Street or Wall Street? We can afford to send billions of dollars to other countries, but we can't even take care of our own people's health care.

I am tired of all the bickering in Washington. We need a party that is of the people and for the people. We need change in Washington. We need to clean house. I encourage all Americans to let your voice be heard on Election Day. Let's send a strong message to Washington.

Palin's support is puzzling
    John E. Colbert - Chicago

No better indicator of an educational crisis exists than the fact that Sarah Palin leads the list of potential Republican presidential candidates for 2012. Her apparent popularity also indicates the sorry state of the Republican Party.

She spoke at the Tea Party convention — apparently aided by a grade- school style cheat sheet on her palm. Her speech was void of specifics, filled with inept reasoning and petty, nasty, insulting shots at President Obama. One shudders to think she could easily have been a heartbeat away from the presidency after '08. We cannot blame Palin: She is who she is, limited intellectually, no doubt, and an opportunist, like many others.

One does, however, have to question the judgment, minimal competence and patriotism of those who would consider putting her in charge of our country.

People pay attention
    Larry Brayton - Wasilla, Alaska

The key to Sarah Palin's strength is that no matter what she says, both those who like her and those who dislike her pay great attention.

I am reminded of my early years as a journalist when print dominated the media and any aspiring politician would say, "Write what you wish about me but do spell my name correctly."

Movement lacks diversity
    Charles L. Freeman - Los Angeles

I, for one, remain completely mystified that the news media are not asking Sarah Palin and other leaders of the Tea Party movement why there wasn't this "populist" (white) anger back when George W. Bush was busy running the country into the ground during his eight years in office and why this so-called movement is virtually all white.

Could it be that Attorney General Eric Holder was correct last year when he said that when it comes to race, America is a "nation of cowards"?

(At the National Tea Party Convention: The GOP vice presidential candidate for ’08, Sarah Palin, speaks in Nashville on Feb. 6 with help in hand./Ed Reinke, AP.)

Posted at 12:10 AM/ET, February 15, 2010 in Letter to the editor, Politics - Letters
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    You can post a comment at this link:

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2010/02/ ... .html#more
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I like the idea of a third party but as long as Palin, or anyone else who supports amnesty for millions of illegal aliens, is involved you can count me out.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Count me out too. The problem with our country isn't really our political parties, it's the agendas and confusion of our people. Get straight, line up the priorities, and pursue solutions, no matter what the party of the person may be. My priorities this election year are as many of the following steps to saving our country that we can meet by electing people who support them.

1. stop illegal immigration
    2. pass the FairTax, HB 25 and SB 296
    3. protect our trade
    4. legalize/regulate/tax under 2 the illegal drug trade
    5. drill baby drill

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The biggest issue has been the corporate infiltration of the government by big money that has the public servants on strings like puppets.

The need of obscene ammounts of money to just get elected is rediculous. Look at the last presidential election. The dems spent something like half a billion on the campaign for Obama. For a job that pays 1.6 million over a 4 year period?

Something is definitely wrong here. Although it should be an obvious indicater as to why our public servants don't serve their constituents. They owe allegance to something more powerful, even though the people outnumber them 100 to 1.

This brings me back to a statemenrt from Thomas Jefferson.

"It can never be too often repeated that the time for fixing every essential right on a legal basis is while our rulers are honest, and ourselves united. From the conclusion of this war, we shall be going downhill. It will not then be necessary to resort every moment to the people for support. They will be forgotten, therefore, and their rights disreguarded. They will forget themselves, but in the sole faculty of making money, and will never think of uniting to effect a due respect for their rights. The shackles, therefore, which shall not be knocked off at the conclusion of this war will remain on us long, will be made heavier and heavier, till our rights shall revive or expire in a convulsion."

1782, Notes on the State of Virginia, Bergh 2:225.

It doesn't matter what party. As long as public servants can be bought and paid for, by those with the gold, then the golden rule will apply. We the masses will not matter as long as money and power is king.

As long as public servants can be bought and paid for, by those with the gold, then the golden rule will apply.
    Hard to compete against those that have control of the printing press.

Substitute, debt based dollar for shackles;

The shackles, therefore, which shall not be knocked off at the conclusion of this war will remain on us long, will be made heavier and heavier, till our rights shall revive or expire in a convulsion."
    Where does a dollar come from? Well right now they are being printed up as debt. No debt, no money. It is right in front of us! Want more money? Take on more debt America. How is that debt driven consumer based economy thingey working for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by roundabout
    As long as public servants can be bought and paid for, by those with the gold, then the golden rule will apply.
    Hard to compete against those that have control of the printing press.

Substitute, debt based dollar for shackles;

[quote:mtych9py]The shackles, therefore, which shall not be knocked off at the conclusion of this war will remain on us long, will be made heavier and heavier, till our rights shall revive or expire in a convulsion."
    Where does a dollar come from? Well right now they are being printed up as debt. No debt, no money. It is right in front of us! Want more money? Take on more debt America. How is that debt driven consumer based economy thingey working for ya?[/quote:mtych9py]

That's the trouble roundabout. It is isn't working. There are so many holes in the dyke, that it will eventually erode away completely, and the flood will be horrific when it does break.

Wonder why things in Washington never change for the better, they only get worse and worse?

Contracts with America, Hopey, Changey? Party of smaller government? Party of compassionate conservatives? Yee-haw! Chumps!

Only when the dollar is examined by many Americans will change for America move in the direction that you can believe in.

Til then, trillions of dollars and much power is at stake.

Place your bets gentlemen.

Find our current (?)dollar(?) in the Constitution. Can you say hood-winked?

Quote Originally Posted by roundabout
    Wonder why things in Washington never change for the better, they only get worse and worse?

Contracts with America, Hopey, Changey? Party of smaller government? Party of compassionate conservatives? Yee-haw! Chumps!

Only when the dollar is examined by many Americans will change for America move in the direction that you can believe in.

Til then, trillions of dollars and much power is at stake.

Place your bets gentlemen.

Find our current (?)dollar(?) in the Constitution. Can you say hood-winked?
    Actually you can. It say no state shall emit bills of credit.