Tea partyers' protest sales-tax efforts in Gilbert

Gilbert rally criticizes increases on ballot

Parker Leavitt -
Mar. 14, 2010 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic .

"Tea party" tax opponents met at "ground zero" in Gilbert on Saturday in protest of state and local sales-tax-increase measures on the ballot this spring.

About 200 opponents of the proposed increases - a quarter-percent sales-tax hike in Gilbert and a 1 percent hike statewide - gathered at the Gilbert Municipal Center to voice displeasure for "wasteful" government spending.

"I am sick and tired of paying taxes to government that wastes my money," said Sarah Crawford, Gilbert resident and chairwoman of Families for Responsible Government.

Crawford was among a handful of concerned residents who spoke against the tax proposals, which go before voters May 18.

Several candidates also attended Saturday's rally, including U.S. Senate hopeful J.D. Hayworth and gubernatorial candidate Barry Hess.

Hayworth told an appreciative crowd that the self-described tea-party protesters are often misunderstood and portrayed as "angry revolutionaries."

"I think they're frustrated but hopeful," Hayworth said. "It's not a matter of rage. It's a realization that the American dream that we all embraced and want for our kids is fading."

The protest brought together a unique blend of conservative ideologies.

In his speech, former Gilbert Councilman Dave Petersen, who helped organize the rally, blamed the rise of taxes over the last century for a decline in family values. "The more you're taxed, the more is taken from the families," he said. "So the wives and mothers have to go out of the home to earn a living, thus leaving the kids to do their own thing."

Jim Pinkerman came from Mesa to represent the Wisconsin-based John Birch Society, which was founded in 1958 to oppose the spread of communism in the U.S., he said.

Pinkerman said the organization believes that abolishing the Federal Reserve System and paper money, not implementing higher taxes, is the best solution to the economic crisis.

Hess, who is running for governor as a Libertarian, said he not only opposes both sales-tax measures but also wants to abolish the personal-income tax.

"If we need to spend less, I certainly favor an unorganized militia to protect ourselves," Hess said.

The quarter-percent increase in Gilbert's sales tax would generate an estimated $7 million per year for the town's general fund. Local officials have said the new revenue would be dedicated to funding public safety.

At recent council meetings, a handful of Gilbert residents have spoken in favor of the tax, saying it would preserve the town's safe reputation.

Event organizers said they hope future protests draw more people.

"It's very difficult to get something started from scratch, but we're very proud of the effort of the people that showed up," organizer Kevin Ross said. "It got everything started. This is going to be a two-month campaign."

http://www.azcentral.com/community/gilb ... t0314.html