Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Televisa's Acapulco correspondent killed

By NATALIA PARRA, Associated Press Writer
    Sat Apr 7, 4:30 AM ET

ACAPULCO, Mexico - The Acapulco correspondent for Mexico's top television news network was shot to death late Friday, the latest in a wave of journalist killings that has made Mexico one of the most dangerous countries for reporters in the Western Hemisphere.

Televisa's Amado Ramirez was shot by two gunmen who were waiting for him at his car after his radio show, state security official Felipe Flores said. He died on the steps of the nearby Hotel California as he tried to escape. Televisa confirmed the death on their nightly broadcast.

The shooting happened on the outskirts of Acapulco's busy central plaza, which was packed at the time with tourists and hundreds of people attending a Good Friday Mass at the resort's cathedral. No one else was injured.

The gunmen escaped, and the motive for the killing was not immediately clear.

Ramirez had covered Acapulco for Televisa for more than a dozen years, reporting on everything from crime to politics.

His radio program on Friday focused on criticizing leftist Guerrero state Gov. Zeferino Torreblanca for refusing to give his second state-of-the-state address in front of state lawmakers. The governor instead chose to give his report in written form.

The Miami-based Inter-American Press Association has reported an alarming number of journalists slain in Mexico, on orders from drug gangs, with seven journalists killed since October, two disappeared and eight reporting death threats.

Since taking office Dec. 1, conservative Mexican President Felipe Calderon has sent federal police and soldiers into drug strongholds across Mexico, including Acapulco, but violence continues.

Also Friday evening in Acapulco, a shootout between police and alleged kidnappers left one suspect dead and another wounded, Flores said. A businessman believed to have been held by the kidnappers was released unharmed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070407/ap_ ... r_killed_3

Why do people continue to vacation in Mexico?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I bet most of them have no idea what is happening there. The evening news doesn't report on this stuff, and unless Americans look for the information, all they see are the pretty commercials on TV. Especially scary, if they are traveling with kids.

Isn't it scary that Mexico is so dangerous, yet there is no travel warning? It just goes to show you how bad the other countries are that are on the list.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... _1764.html

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... s_970.html

I stopped vacationing in Mexico after my cousin was killed there by a truck driver with no breaks and then the Government of Hexico blackmailed our family for money to receive his body for burial
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

That is terrible, sorry for your loss. Did the US government help you at all?

Wonder if the State Department has issued a warning about vacationaing in Mexico yet.

Anyone still sending their kids there for spring break?

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Dixie,
    I believe I have heard about warnings along the border towns several months back...

CC as for the Government helping...I don't remember ...but they would not let his wife or children leave with the body till all the players who billed where paid..The Doctor and hospital and the ambulance...and so on...Yes his death was very profitable for the Mexican officials...you know certificates and so on...very expensive in HEXICO
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

I am so sorry for your loss. I went once several years ago and I will never go again. They are a very uncompassionate people. They seem to only worship money and blackmail for more money. I am disgusted with what they put you family through and it should serve as a warning to all Americans to stay out of Mexico and keep their culture out as well.

Dixie I love that avatar. It's very funny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast