Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Tests reveal dozens of TB carriers , but no danger

GREAT NEWS

May 15, 2008, 12:09PM
    Tests reveal dozens of TB carriers, but no danger

By RUTH RENDON
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

TOOLS
    Email Get section feed
    Print Recommend
    Comments (3) Yahoo! Buzz
    About 30 students and staff members of Galena Park High School tested positive for tuberculosis but none are symptomatic and contagious, officials said today.

In all about 258 students and staff members were given skin tests on May 5 as a precaution after a student tested positive and showed symptoms of the disease in April.

Rita Obey, a spokeswoman for Harris County Public Health and Environmental Services, said the standard procedure for those who tested positive during the screening was to get a chest X-ray. Those testing positive numbered about 12 percent, she said.

"We don't get concerned until the number approaches 30 percent," Obey said.

TB generally is spread through the air from one person to another by sneezing, coughing or speaking. Those who breathe in the air containing TB germs can become infected. Typically, only close contacts such as family members, friends, classmates and co-workers are considered to be at risk.

Most people who become infected, however, do not get sick. Only about 10 percent go on to develop TB disease and show symptoms, including a bad cough, pain in the chest and weakness. Only those with symptoms are contagious.

Those identified for screening at Galena Park High School had the most contact with the infected student during the spring semester.

The Galena Park High School student diagnosed with TB hasn't been at school since April 4.

The screening earlier this month was the second time this year that Galena Park school district students have been screened for TB.

In January, 19 of 150 North Shore Senior High School students and faculty who were tested had a positive skin test result, indicating exposure to TB.

ruth.rendon@chron.com

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5782423.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Tests reveal

No Danger? Really? Then why do taxpayers have to pay for hundreds of TB tests for these students?
    This is not the only school in Texas found to have active TB.

I recently was signing up my daughter for pre school and one of the requirements for me as her parent was to get a tb test. There were tons of people there with the same pink paper I had both days I had to go and most didn't speak english. Am I surprised? No I am not. Since i live in san diego and our government lets in who ever.

About 30 students and staff members of Galena Park High School tested positive for tuberculosis but none are symptomatic and contagious, officials said today.
    Pose no danger--not at this time but these 30 people have latent TB which could become active at a later time. Am tired of how this is minimized.

"The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic state itself. That, in its essence, is fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or any controlling private power."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)