Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks ALIPAC!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thanks ALIPAC!

Just wanted to say thank you to ALIPAC and weveryone else here.

Not only am I receiving the benefit of learning (waking up to) what's going on and all, but believe it or not, this place has also given me a health benefit!

Yep, I'm trying to quit smoking. Only a few months ago I was smoking at least a pack a day. I've graduated myself down to about 1/4 of that. Thanks to you all here, I've noticed I'm smoking even less than that.

Thank you!
    I don't care what you call me, so long as you call me AMERICAN.

You can do it! And what a feeling...free to breath and no more bondage!!! Excellent ~ congratulations on getting started and now go all the way to defeat that ball and chain!
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Thanks, I'm working on it. It's going to be a while longer, but I'm definitely making seriuos progress. In part because of this place.

Good for you! I quit in 2003! Hang in there. It's all about willpower.

Chewing Gum helps. Once you get past the first week or so, it gets much easier.

When you conquer it, never ever-ever touch another one. I've heard more people say, it hooked them again, with just one. My Dentist was clean for 15 years but had just one at a party and relapsed.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I have quit for 5 years now after 3 times trying. I know it's hard but the benefits of breathing easier, having your taste and smelling ability back and a healthier ,longer life are great incentives!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I tried gum, patch, cold-turkey and those didn't work for me. What is working is finding ways to make it as inconvenient as possible and basically weaning myself off at the sametime.

For example, I used to smoke in the house and was up at a pack a day. Now, I only smoke outside (not even in the garage) and only a 1/2 cigarette every couple + hours.

Thanks to this place, it's making it that much easier for me.

Oh yeah, and I have no intentions of relapsing. We want to start a family and I most certainly will not smoke with kids around.

I quit several years ago, still get the urge every here and there, the outrageous price now is the biggest thing that keeps me from relapsing

Sunflower seeds are supposed to help too, unsalted of course, you can usually get them cheaper buying it bulk..
    The American Conservative

Bail out families, not usurers and speculators.

Yeah, even the nastiest cigarettes (generic menthols ) are expensive.

(Yes, I even switched what I smoked to help in psyching myself out. )

Re: Thanks ALIPAC!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladydrake
    Just wanted to say thank you to ALIPAC and weveryone else here.

Not only am I receiving the benefit of learning (waking up to) what's going on and all, but believe it or not, this place has also given me a health benefit!

Yep, I'm trying to quit smoking. Only a few months ago I was smoking at least a pack a day. I've graduated myself down to about 1/4 of that. Thanks to you all here, I've noticed I'm smoking even less than that.

Thank you!
    Good luck to you Ladydrake on quitting smoking. I can't brag because I haven't quit yet. It's been six years since the last time I tried. I've been thinking of trying again. Thinking rather than doing but at least it's a start.

Tried the patch and the gum years ago. Another option which I believe would have been effective in my case if I hadn't been going through a nasty separation then divorce around the time of my last attempt to quit, is Zyban, a prescription drug also marketed under the name Welbutrin. Welbutrin (spell?) manufactured by Glaxo is an anti-depressant. After some time (I suppose) patients who took this and also smoked noticed a decrease in their desire to smoke. So, Glaxo started also marketing the drug under the name Zyban for smoking cessation.

I do believe if I didn't have the other serious stresses in my life at the time, this drug would have helped. After a short time taking it, I noticed it made the cigarettes taste nasty and reduced the physical desire to smoke. However, there was still the routine, psychological cigarette habits that were hard to break. While taking Zyban, I noticed that just out of habit depending on the time of day, what I was doing or during morning coffee time, I would reach for a cigarette even though it didn't taste good and some of the physical nicotine withdrawal symptoms were lessoned.

Don't mean to sound like a commercial here, but I do believe that this Zyban would likely have worked if I wasn't also going through severe emotional stresses at the time. It certainly was easier to lay off the cigarettes while on this drug than when I tried the patch or gum.

It's been 5-6 years since I've read anything on Zyban and smoking cessation. I hope it's still around, because when I try to quite smoking again whenever that may be, this will be my first choice of an aid.

P.S. I'm not employed by Glaxo and don't benefit in any way from mentioning Zyban. After six years since I took it, I don't know if it's still available. But , at that time, some insurance carriers would cover all costs minus the co-pay.
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me

For me, trying to quit while being stressed out is definitely NOT the best time to try.

I don't think you sound like a commercial. I mean anyone I've met who has quit or trying to quit is excited and naturally they just want to share what has worked for them.

I actually got the idea of my method from my dad. He'd gotten some little computer thingy that would sound an alarm to let him know when he could smoke. And it weaned him off. Only difference is I'm doing it without the "timer" (?).

I think that once you find what works for you, by all means take the bull by the horns!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast