Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Think $700 Billion Is the Limit? Think Again

Think $700 Billion Is the Limit? Think Again

Monday, September 22, 2008 3:00 PM

Beltway press releases notwithstanding, $700 billion is not the maximum the U.S. Treasury may spend under the terms of Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson's proposed Wall Street bailout.

It's just the ceiling on the outstanding amount at any one time.

The proposal does not in fact set forth an expenditure limit. Instead, it gives Treasury virtually imperial powers, making decisions by the Secretary "non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

And while purchases are "intended to be residential and commercial mortgage-related assets" Treasury will have the power — after consulting with the Fed — to buy other, unspecified assets as well.

Paulson "is asking for a huge amount of power,'' New York University economist Nouriel Roubini told Bloomberg News. "He's saying, 'Trust me, I'm going to do it right if you give me absolute control.'"

Meanwhile, Barron's reports that an additional $150 billion in write-downs may be ahead at the very time that external sources of liquidity, like sovereign wealth funds, are drying up.

All of which means that the U.S. taxpayers will wind up paying more of the final bill, or the Fed will have to orchestrate additional mergers between financial institutions that will reduce the impact of capital inadequacy, analysts say.

Because rising unemployment makes raising taxes difficult — and because the Fed's resources already are seriously depleted — bank consolidation seems to be the more likely of the two.

How much money is $700 billion, by the way? It's comparable to the hard cost of the Iraq war and it's more than the Pentagon's annual budget.

http://moneynews.newsmax.com/streettalk ... 33229.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

April
    LET ALL ROAR NO TO THE BAIL OUT!!!

TALK RADIO LIST:

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-76263.html

U.S. SENATE AND HOUSE CONTACT INFORMATION:

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-63874.html

TOLL FREE

Congressional Switchboard Numbers

800-833-6354
    866-340-9281
    877-762-8762
    866-808-0065
    888-355-3588
    866-220-0044

Think 700....tripple it.....think 12 million illegals....think again.....they hit the low end to soften the blow.....either way.....we loose.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    The Washington insiders never were worth a damn at math!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I know this problem is more complex then want meets the eye, but it is my understanding that the heart of the problem is the housing market, and the failed / defaulted sub-prime mortgages.

My main question on this topic is (And why haven’t we heard anyone talking about it): “How many of these failed / defaulted home loans were to illegal aliens? How many failures are the result of deportations, and how many from the illegal just dropping everything and going back to they’re country of origin. (And without a care in the world!)

Also what about all the failed / defaulted credit cards and retail store accounts given to these “now gone homeâ€
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>