Traditional Christmas recital at Italian school cancelled to not offend children with other beliefs

By Paul Dijks 18 November 2018

S-F / shutterstock.com

The traditional Christmas recital was to happen in Terni, in the centre of Italy, but the headmaster has taken the decision to forbid it as to ‘not to offend pupils of different religions who are in the school’.
Italy’s most popular and trusted Interior Minister, Matteo Salvini, responded on Facebook:
“Christmas is approaching and “school leaders” appear again to prevent children’s performances. Does it just look like a contradiction for me? It’s not just about religion, it’s about history, roots, culture. Long live our traditions, I do not stop! Let’s spread!”

Terni Councillor Valeria Alessandrini has said: “Needless to emphasise the disappointment and bitterness I felt in learning the news. I hope there will be a rethinking in this sense in consideration of the respect of those Christian values that are part of our history and our cultural heritage.
Respecting those who profess other religions does not mean having to renounce by force to recognise our roots, indeed.
Only by respecting what we have been and, therefore, what we are, we will succeed in making others understand that everyone is free to profess their faith, but is also required to respect the history and culture of the country where he lives.
I hope that children and young people of the institute will be allowed to live and share with their peers and their parents the most beautiful, intense and meaningful moments of Christmas “.

https://voiceofeurope.com/2018/11/ch...UYL4uI.twitter