Trans-Texas Corridor

On November 13, the Texas Department of Transportation, in coordination with the Federal Highway Administration, released the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) for the proposed I-69/Trans-Texas Corridor project.

Using existing highways will be the first consideration as state transportation officials continue work to identify an alignment for I-69/TTC from far South Texas to Northeast Texas.

The report recommends continued environmental studies and public comment on the narrower study area to see where I-69/TTC can be located while minimizing environmental impacts. It proposes using existing highways first with new corridors as a secondary option.

In January 2008, TxDOT will hold 10 Town Hall Meetings along the corridor. The scheduling of town hall meetings is a direct result of public comment that citizens want more opportunity to ask questions and get answers about the Trans-Texas Corridor.

In February, TxDOT will begin the formal public hearings on the environmental study. Forty-six public hearings will be held throughout the study area with the focus strictly on the DEIS document. The format for these hearings is designed to gather public comments solely on the document.

“We are doing what the public asked us to do and that is look at existing highways first,â€