Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

University of Calif. admissions rule angers Asian-Americans

University of Calif. admissions rule angers Asian-Americans

By Terence Chea, Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO — A new admissions policy set to take effect at the University of California system in three years is raising fears among Asian-Americans that it will reduce their numbers on campus, where they account for a remarkable 40% of all undergraduates.

University officials say the new standards — the biggest change in UC admissions since 1960 — are intended to widen the pool of high school applicants and make the process more fair.

But Asian-American advocates, parents and lawmakers are angrily calling on the university to rescind the policy, which will apply at all nine of the system's undergraduate campuses.

They point to a UC projection that said the new standards would sharply reduce Asian-American admissions while resulting in little change for blacks and Hispanics, and a big gain for white students.

"I like to call it affirmative action for whites," said Ling-chi Wang, a retired professor at UC Berkeley. "I think it's extremely unfair to Asian-Americans on the one hand and underrepresented minorities on the other."

FIND MORE STORIES IN: United States | California | San Francisco | University of California | Lowell
    Asian-Americans are the single largest ethnic group among UC's 173,000 undergraduates. In 2008, they accounted for 40% at UCLA and 43% at UC Berkeley — the two most selective campuses in the UC system — as well as 50% at UC San Diego and 54% at UC Irvine.

Asian-Americans are about 12% of California's population and 4% of the U.S. population overall.

The new policy, approved unanimously by the UC Board of Regents in February, will greatly expand the applicant pool, eliminate the requirement that applicants take two SAT subject tests and reduce the number of students guaranteed admission based on grades and test scores alone. It takes effect for the freshman class of fall 2012.

Some Asian-Americans have charged that the university is trying to reduce Asian-American enrollment. Others say that may not be the intent, but it will be the result.

UC officials adamantly deny the intent is to increase racial diversity, and reject allegations the policy would violate a 1996 voter-approved ban on affirmative action.

"The primary goal is fairness and eliminating barriers that seem unnecessary," UC President Mark Yudof said. "It means that if you're a parent out there, more of your sons' and daughters' files will be reviewed."

Yudof and other officials disputed the internal study that projected a drop of about 20% in Asian-American admissions, saying it is impossible to accurately predict the effects. "This is not Armageddon for Asian-American students," Yudoff said.

At San Francisco's Lowell High School, one of the top public schools in the country, about 70% of the students are of Asian descent and more than 40% attend UC after graduation.

"If there are Asian-Americans who are qualified and don't get into UC because they're trying to increase diversity, then I think that's unfair," said 16-year-old junior Jessica Peng. "I think that UC is lowering its standards by doing that."

Doug Chan, who has a teenage son at Lowell, said: "Parents are very skeptical and suspicious that this is yet another attempt to move the goalposts or change the rules of the game for Asian college applicants."

One of the biggest changes is scrapping the requirement that applicants take two SAT subject tests. UC officials say the tests do little to predict who will succeed at UC, no other public university requires them, and many high-achieving students are disqualified because they do not take them.

The policy also widens the pool of candidates by allowing applications from all students who complete the required high school courses, take the main SAT or ACT exams and maintain a 3.0 grade-point average. Under the current policy, students have to rank in the top 12.5% of California high school graduates to be eligible.

Students still have to apply to individual campuses, where admissions officers are allowed to consider each applicants' grades, test scores, personal background, extracurricular activities and other factors but not race.

The policy is expected to increase competition for UC admission. This year the university turned away the largest number of students in years after it received a record number applications and cut freshman enrollment because of the state's budget crisis.

"I'm getting all sorts of e-mails from parents, alumni and donors who are quite upset by the action UC took," said state Assemblyman Ted Lieu, chairman of the Legislature's 11-member Asian-American caucus.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/ ... sian_N.htm
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

End in-state tuition for illegals then there will be plenty of room for Americans of all races!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Asian-Americans are the single largest ethnic group among UC's 173,000 undergraduates. In 2008, they accounted for 40% at UCLA and 43% at UC Berkeley — the two most selective campuses in the UC system — as well as 50% at UC San Diego and 54% at UC Irvine.

Asian-Americans are about 12% of California's population and 4% of the U.S. population overall.
    Something in these numbers bothers me.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I'd say this PROVES that there are a limited number of acceptances to the colleges of America and that DENYING ILLEGAL ALIENS entry is in order!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The policy is expected to increase competition for UC admission. This year the university turned away the largest number of students in years after it received a record number applications and cut freshman enrollment because of the state's budget crisis.
    How many American students and LEGAL residents were denied admission? How many illegal aliens were admitted?

Illegal aliens should be banned from all colleges in the US.
    "

Perhaps Asian-Americans are just to polite and too well educated to start screaming racism at every turn. Where is the ACLU? I would not be surprised if they and their buddies are behind this policy change attempt, all on behalf of the poor, poor illegals.
    I have no idea if race is a question on the application or if there needs to be a photo attached to a student's application to UC, but IMO, the only thing colleges should be looking at is grade scores, not color, and not lowering standards for the sake of "equality."

Living in a Chinese neighborhood I see first hand what is happening. Their kids have no childhood. I hardly ever see any on the streets after school hours. They do not participate in any local sports programs such as Little League, soccer or Pee wee footbal etc. The only 'sport' they do participate in seems to be handball.

The parents that can afford to, hire tutors, especially to train for the Specialized High School exam that determines admission to the six premiere High Schools in NYC. All six of which now have student bodies constisting of over 50% asians.

My oldest son, a strait A student, attended Brooklyn Tech because he always found 'testing' very easy. My youngest son, also a strait A student, didn't excell at 'testing' and missed admission to BT by exactly ONE test question. Upon inquiry I found out the 'cut off' score had been raised from 470 to 480 and Jr. had gotten a score of 477.

Upon further inquiry I learned about 'The Bridge Program' which allowed students who just missed the grade to attend a six week summer class that if passed gained them admission. For Brooklyn Tech each middle school in Brooklyn was granted 15 set aside admissions under this program. It was 'prioritized' though. First priorty going to children who have lived in the US for less than 2 years. The second priority being for students who spoke English as a second language. Lastly came the financially disadvantaged. My American son did NOT qualify. As you ALL KNOW Immigration Status is not considered!

Damn it, now I'm furious all over again!