Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Upland restaurant clashes with Minuteman project members

Upland restaurant clashes with Minuteman project members
    By Sandra Emerson
    Posted: 05/16/2009 07:43:41 PM PDT

UPLAND - A group of Minuteman Project members complained to city officials after a recent argument with an Upland business owner and police over a Cinco de Mayo celebration.

The group held American flag rallies May 5 to encourage people to celebrate the Fourth of July or other significant days in American history rather than Cinco De Mayo.

After seeing a large Cinco De Mayo sign outside Graziano's Italian Restaurant and Bar, the group decided to take a photo with their flags next to the sign.

The incident resulted in a yelling match involving the Minutemen, the restaurant owner and employees, who called the Police Department.

"We found it ironic that eight moms and dads holding American flags on a public sidewalk - the police were called in and we were told to give our names and would be subject to arrest," said Robin Hvidston, a member of the Minuteman Project, at Monday's City Council meeting.

"We felt in Upland a day laborer has more rights than an American citizen on a public sidewalk holding an American flag."

Before taking the photos, the group went into the restaurant to speak with the owner and give him a pamphlet on the American flag.

"Basically they were insinuating that I was un-American, and I was assuring them that I have every right to conduct my business the way I see fit," said Danny Guida, owner of Graziano's. "They were very demanding and aggressive in their tactics and disrupting my whole
    front lobby."
    The group was asked to leave, but a confrontation began when the owner saw they were taking photos next to his sign.

"My main point was to ask if that was the way they felt about small business and the free market, and they didn't have an answer for me," Guida said.

"That was the main objective I wanted to get across."

Police made a report, but no one wanted to press charges, police Sgt. Cliff Mathews said.

The purpose of the flag rallies on Cinco De Mayo was to make residents aware of the insignificance of the holiday to the people of Mexico, said Raymond Herrera, a member of the Minuteman Project.

"In Mexico they don't even celebrate Cinco De Mayo, but here it is a beck and call to have beer-drinking parties all over America and make the American people believe there is significance to it - that it's the liberation of the people of Mexico, and it is not even anything close to that," Herrera said.

"Obviously, Graziano's has freedom of speech and obviously in our country we can display signs and utilize freedom of speech allowing both of us to go forward and express our view points," Hvidston said. "In retrospect, if we had known officers would be called to the scene we absolutely would not have taken the photo."

sandra.emerson@inlandnewspapers.com

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_12387989
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I could not defend either side, people have a right to be proud of their origins and the restaurant had better things to do than chase Minutemen
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ELE

Illegals refuse to learn our language and dis-spect us.

The American people are angry and frustrated, they see their homeland being overcome by third world people that steal their jobs, fill their hospitals, take over their schools, bring crime and much disease. And these invaders are given HUD housing, social services, education, protection under our laws and so much more and yet they march in the streets of America demanding more money. And they somehow think they have the right to Amnesty. As a group, they are rude and hateful to the American people. Also, the government that proclaims to love and care for the American people clearly favors the illegals over the American people. Corruption and filthy lies fill our government from the top level all the way local government.

So I am not surprised that the MinuteMen American citizens lost it, frankly I am surprised that more Americans have not shown their anger and fear about the take over of their culture and country.

I do not advocate violence but I can understand how seeing the Mexican flag could set many Americans off.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)