Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

US military / fake personae on Facebook and Twitter

I saw this one on Fark.com.

Fark headline;

US military spends millions on software for manipulating fake personae on Facebook and Twitter

Actual headline;

Exclusive: Military’s ‘persona’ software cost millions, used for ‘classified social media activities’

Most people use social media like Facebook and Twitter to share photos of friends and family, chat with friends and strangers about random and amusing diversions, or follow their favorite websites, bands and television shows.

But what does the US military use those same networks for? Well, we can't tell you: That's "classified," a CENTCOM spokesman recently informed Raw Story.

One use that's confirmed, however, is the manipulation of social media through the use of fake online "personas" managed by the military. Raw Story recently reported that the US Air Force had solicited private sector vendors for something called "persona management software." Such a technology would allow single individuals to command virtual armies of fake, digital "people" across numerous social media portals.

These "personas" were to have detailed, fictionalized backgrounds, to make them believable to outside observers, and a sophisticated identity protection service was to back them up, preventing suspicious readers from uncovering the real person behind the account. They even worked out ways to game geolocating services, so these "personas" could be virtually inserted anywhere in the world, providing ostensibly live commentary on real events, even while the operator was not really present.

When Raw Story first reported on the contract for this software, it was unclear what the Air Force wanted with it or even if it had been acquired. The potential for misuse, however, was abundantly clear.

A fake virtual army of people could be used to help create the impression of consensus opinion in online comment threads, or manipulate social media to the point where valuable stories are suppressed.

Ultimately, this can have the effect of causing a net change to the public's opinions and understanding of key world events.

'Classified social media activities'

According to Commander Bill Speaks, the chief media officer of CENTCOM's d

Snip...

Link to the story;

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/02/2...ia-activities/

Link to the Fark comments:

http://www.fark.com/comments/6004900...cebook-Twitter

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Haven't Facebook and Twitter been used to help organize protests in the middle east recently? Perhaps the CIA and/or the military wants to be able to encourage or discourage that kind of thing in the future? Weaponizing Facebook. What's next?
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by patbrunz
    Haven't Facebook and Twitter been used to help organize protests in the middle east recently? Perhaps the CIA and/or the military wants to be able to encourage or discourage that kind of thing in the future? Weaponizing Facebook. What's next?
    The fark headline says Facebook and Twitter. It doesn't mean they really were. Then you may have a point.

I don't think the CIA would encourage that sort of thing. That would just be encouraging we the people to rise up and we the people are all in the same boat world wide now. Then you did add discourage. ?

The thing that came to my mind was the flood of new members it seemed we got a while back.

Other sites seem to have people interject nonsense when a discussion is rolling.

Who knows. I suppose we will just have to watch and listen.

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneSapper7

Sorry AirborneSapper7. I didn't see those stories or I wouldn't have posted this.

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    The thing that came to my mind was the flood of new members it seemed we got a while back.

Other sites seem to have people interject nonsense when a discussion is rolling.
    Its gone through my mind many, Many times... those little things that make you say what the hell was that
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)