Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Virgina Tech Student Stabbed To Death And Decapitated

Another tragedy at Virginia Tech. Another Chinese exchange student kills another newly arrived Chinese exchange student. They should screen people for mental illness for student visas!

Virginia Tech Student Stabbed to Death on Campus Was Decapitated
    Thursday, January 22, 2009

Xin Yang

BLACKSBURG, Virginia — Alone and in a new country, graduate student Xin Yang reached out to other Chinese students at Virginia Tech when she arrived two weeks ago, trying to establish her life on campus.

She went to social events with international students, got in touch with the campus center that works to help them adjust and appeared to be making friends as she settled into her accounting program, those who had met her said.

But one of the friendships may have led to her death: Police say she was decapitated with a kitchen knife while having coffee with a Chinese doctoral student in a campus cafe Wednesday night.

The killing stunned a campus that still has vivid memories of the mass slayings in April 2007, when a student gunman shot 32 people and then took his own life. The stabbing was the first slaying on campus since then.

"An act of violence like this brings back memories of April 16," university President Charles Steger said. "I have no doubt that many of us feel especially distraught."

It appeared Yang had met her accused attacker, 25-year-old Haiyang Zhu of Ningbo, China, only recently, said Kim Beisecker, the director of Cranwell International Center, which works with international students. Zhu, a doctoral student in agricultural and applied economics, had been assisting her in adjusting to life at Tech, something the 500 Chinese students often do for new members in their community, she said. They both attended functions for international students, she said.

RelatedStories
    Federal Officials: At Least 32 Dead After Virginia Tech University Shooting "She was a very sweet young woman," she said. "He was known as a polite young man."

Though they apparently didn't know each other well, school records listed Zhu as one of her emergency contacts. Beisecker said that may have been because Yang knew few people on campus.

"As best we know, she had made a fair number of friends, but only in the last week," Beisecker said.

What led to the attack is also a mystery: About seven other people who were in the coffee shop told police that the two hadn't been arguing before the attack. Beisecker said there hadn't been previous signs of trouble between them.

Police received two 911 calls shortly after 7 p.m. Wednesday, and were on the scene in a little more than a minute to take Zhu into custody, Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum said.

Zhu was charged with first-degree murder and was being held without bond at the Montgomery County Jail. His attorney, Stephanie Cox, did not return a call seeking comment Thursday.

Classes were held as usual Thursday and the sprawling 2,600-acre campus appeared normal, with students skateboarding, talking on cell phones and chatting with friends.

Tasha Lockhart, a sophomore from Ocean City, Md., went to her biology class in the Graduate Life Center's auditorium Thursday afternoon. She said she felt "a little bit" wary. Her instructor told students to be aware of exits that were away from the main entrance in case of trouble, she said.

After the arrest, a campus alert system put in place after the mass shootings by Seung-Hui Cho in 2007 sent out messages to 30,000 subscribers by e-mail, text messages and telephone voice mails Wednesday night, University spokesman Larry Hinckler said.

Because a suspect was in custody, the messages were sent out as notifications rather than as emergency alerts, he said. He said 60,000 messages were sent in about a half hour.

The school offered counseling to students, faculty and staff, and officials contacted students who were injured in the mass shootings as well as the families of victims.

"It was a very retraumatizing kind of experience," said Debbie Day, director of the Office of Recovery and Support.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,481406,00.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This is absolutely disgusting. I am so tired that so many foreign nationals coming here and filling spots in colleges which should be the right of Americans.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    This is absolutely disgusting. I am so tired that so many foreign nationals coming here and filling spots in colleges which should be the right of Americans.
    I once heard a rumor that Michigan State University has an 'International Student Center' where special mixers and get togethers are held where only foreign students are admitted and American students are barred from attending.

Vortex I disagree. I came here originally on a student visa and I can tell you that you pay alot more than in state students. You also have to follow immigration law as you get a visa through the university. You need to prove you have enough money to complete your degree and must have health insurance. Infact you can get deported if you don't. You are also required to take a minimum of 4 classes per semester or else you can be deported. Students are also told that you cannot work illegally or you will get deported if you get caught and people have been. If you come into financial hardship you can apply for a permit to work but that depends on your grades and it also determines how many hours you may be able to work if you are approved. Should a person be approved they are only allowed to work on campus and if they don't they too can be deported once they get caught. In fact those are the most enforced immigration laws out there. I would rather see this than colleges and universities giving illegals out of state tuition rather than the international students they are. Miami Dade College does that and if you have followed the articles I posted about the Gomez brothers you would see it is true. They are both illegals as their parents overstayed a visa and if the sons were international students they would have not risked being deported. There were used to try and push for the Dream Act. If they are considered out of state they pay the same tuition as an international student but don't have to follow the same rules an international student does as they do not have a visa.

Millere: the university I went to had events for international students as well. It is not so much to bar Americans as it is trying to allow those from other countries to be with people who have also left families behind in a distant country and are going through the same experiences. I never attended any of those events as I felt no need to do so and there are many others who felt the same. Yet others unfortunately need to be around those who came from the same country they are from.