Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

April
    Ford to open new plant in Mexico

The investment was announced at the presidential compound in Mexico City
    US giant Ford is to invest $3bn (£1.5bn) in a new car plant in Mexico, the biggest investment in the country's manufacturing sector.

The move is a blow to American car workers who had hoped the factory would be built in the United States.

Ford has lost more than $15bn (£7.5bn) over the past two years and says the new facility is crucial to its future.

Mexican President Felipe Calderon hailed the announcement as a "turning point" for his country.

The new factory, and other changes to Ford's Mexican operations, are likely to create an estimated 4,500 jobs in Mexico, where car workers earn substantially less than their American counterparts.

Mr Calderon made the announcement with Ford president Alan Mullaly at the presidential compound in Mexico City on Friday.

"We want Mexico to be an automotive country, one that is competitive and with the most advantages so that the worldwide automotive industry will establish itself here," Mr Calderon said.

Mr Mullaly said: "We are convinced the geographic location as well as Mexico's highly qualified labour force and economic stability make this decision the right one for our business."

Environmental concerns

The factory will build Ford's new Fiesta sub-compact car, which is the company's attempt to shift towards the fast-growing market for smaller, more fuel-efficient cars.

It will be located near Mexico City and the plant is expected to start delivering the Fiesta to the US market in 2010.

The BBC's Duncan Kennedy in Mexico City says Ford, the second largest car manufacturer in the US, is being hit by the slowdown in consumer spending and soaring oil prices.

Drivers are moving away from Ford's traditional stable of bigger trucks and Sports Utility Vehicles because of rising fuel prices, plummeting house prices and concerns about the environment, he says.

The decision to invest in Mexico will be a blow to the United Auto Workers union, which reached a cost-cutting agreement with Ford in a bid to make US plants more competitive.

The company had also hoped its programme of slashing cut-price vehicles to car hire companies would help ease its financial woes.

But earlier this month, Ford announced it was abandoning its goal of making its loss-making North American business profitable next year.

Ford's plans in Mexico also include moving one of its factories from large truck to small car production, and opening a new diesel engine line at another plant.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7428952.stm

Has this been reported to Capital Hill?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    Make your choice, both are made in America:

My recommendation - save the environment and buy the bicycle.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

April
    Ford to open new plant in Mexico
    Good!!! I hope the illegals all go there to get those jobs!
    The country is too dangerous for an American to go work in it.
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

1973 Mach1? NICE!! I would LOVE to have that car! So beautiful!
    It was the Edition that was Red, White & Blue. It was mostly white with Red and blue pinstriping.
    The interior was those 3 colors too!

I see why guys in the country park the cars out back and never get rid of them.
    I would love to look at that out my window... even junked I miss it that car.

It was a fastback with a 351 Cleveland engine.
    I could pull the front tires off the road even in 4th.
    Did it have dual-carbs? Hummmmmmm, I forget.
    Wrong color but how can you NOT love this style ....
    Look at the PRICE! I paid $2500!
    http://www.cars-on-line.com/35694.html
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

My experience has been different. I have owned American and Japanese cars. Ive had about 15 cars in my lifetime and the Toyotas and Hondas were the best. I drive a Toyota that gets 36 - 40 mpg. On our recent trip to ID we put 2800 miles on that car and it cost us under $200! :P

I'm all for buying American, but when it comes to fuel/cars - I'd rather make some Japanese guys some $$ instead of the Saudis!!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12