While Obama & the Democrats are Seeking Gun Confiscation, State Republicans Are Squashing Gun Owner’s Rights

Tim Brown for Freedom Outpost
March 19, 2014

We have reported extensively on how the Obama administration and the Democrats in Washington, along with Republicans, have been pushing for an ultimate goal, which is gun confiscation. However, many people are under the impression that just because an elected official or candidate has an "R" behind his name, that person is all for gun owner's rights. Nothing could be further from the truth and here's the evidence.

The first example is my home state of South Carolina. Republicans in the State legislature killed a bill, sponsored by Republican Senator Lee Bright, that would allow for unrestricted rights to carry your gun lawfully. It's called Constitutional Carry. Only four Republicans voted for it! I thought these guys were the people always talking about our rights and personal responsibility, but no, in many cases they are wanting to coddle the people and treat them like children, just like Democrats.

SC State Republican Senator Larry Martin told one of his constituents who asked him to vote for the bill, "If the Second amendment has been as you interpret it, why hasn't SC law reflected that for the last 140 years? I'm sorry but you are describing an 'unlimited' right that has never been the case with the Second Amendment. My view of the 2nd Amendment has always been the right to own guns and keep them in our homes, business, and property and not to wear a gun whenever to wherever I pleased."

The problem is that nowhere in his statement does he address "bearing" those same arms. Why doesn't SC law reflect the Second Amendment? Because progressives like Martin have been making the laws for all that time since the time following Abraham Lincoln, and the War to Enslave the States. Why does he only stop at 140 years? Why doesn't he go back further, back to the founding or even prior to the founding of the United States? That should tell you something right there.

But it isn't just in South Carolina. Tennessee Republicans did the exact same thing. In January, I told you that State Senator Mae Beavers (R) introduced SB1607, 2014 Tennessee Firearms Freedom Act. On Tuesday the Senate committee voted to kill the bill.

While three Republicans (Campfield, Green and Bell) voted in favor of advancing the bill, three Republicans (Kelsey, Overby, and Stevens) joined Democrat Senator Finney against it. Senator Ford, a Democrat, abstained.

According
to Michael Lotfi, "Those Republicans voting against the bill attempted to cite that federal law was supreme over state law, which would make Beavers' bill in violation of Article VI, Clause 2 of the United States Constitution. This clause is often cited as the 'Supremacy Clause.'"

"However, these Republicans are misinterpreting the clause," he continued. "The clause reads: 'This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land… [emphasis added].' This means that only laws, which are passed in pursuance to the federal Constitution, can be considered supreme over state laws."

Before anyone goes off on me for pointing these things out and tells me "Please stop the infighting," let me suggest that this is not "infighting." This is tyranny versus liberty, and it doesn't matter if it comes from the Republicans or the Democrats, the issue is how they overreach their authority and how they fail to defend the liberty of the people.

Notice that not all Republicans were against these bills. In fact, it was Republicans who introduced them. However, it should be clear that there are enough infiltrators in the Republican Party to demonstrate that they do not believe the rhetoric they espouse during election season.

These are the Republicans in name only that must be removed and replaced with men who will honor their oath and protect the liberty of the people.

There will also be those that say, "No, they are merely looking for 'common sense gun control.'" Oh yeah? Where does that end? I'll tell you. It ends where tyranny's gun control always ends: gun confiscation. Once that has been accomplished, the next step is extermination. That is the pattern that was historically followed all throughout the bloodiest century in history, the twentieth century. The most common cause of unnatural death during that time? Democide: Death by government. It's resulted in nearly 300 million people being murdered at the hands of their own governments. That's not a fear tactic, it's just the facts.

We would do well to remember the words of Patrick Henry:

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." Patrick Henry- June 5, 1788

Let's stop begging government to exercise the liberty that is to be protected and start demanding they do only that which they have been authorized to do.

freedomoutpost.com/2014/03/obama-democrats-gun-confiscation-state-republicans-squashing-gun-owners-rights/