Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Who sent soldiers into an Alabama town last week?

Who sent soldiers into an Alabama town last week?

Who sent 22 military police and an Army officer into the tiny Alabama town of Samson last week after a gunman went on a rampage that left 11 people dead?

That's what the U.S. Army would like to know.

The Associated Press reports that an Army spokesman says the military has launched an inquiry to find out what happened, why the troops were sent from nearby Fort Rucker, what they did while there and whether any federal laws were broken.

Law enforcement authorities in Samson and the county were stretched to the limit after the killing spree. But, as the AP notes, authorization from the governor or president is typically required for the deployment of federal troops on U.S. soil.

The 131-year-old federal Posse Comitatus Act generally prohibits federal military personnel or federalized National Guard from taking on a domestic law enforcement role.

(Photo of U.S. Army troops in downtown Samson by Mark Wallheiser, Reuters)

Posted at 12:38 PM/ET, March 18, 2009
    ----------------------------------------------------

You can see the photo and post a comment about this article on the USA TODAY Online site at this link:

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/20 ... oldie.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

ooops, looks like the shadow government forgot to tell the President what they were doing again. Hate it when that happens, Obama at least has to have time to come out and do a song and dance and pretend like he is calling the shots right?

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Having lived next to a military base, our local government and base officials worked close together. I think that's what happened here, the Mayor called up the base commander and he lent them a few MPs. A big percentage of the people in this town are probably military so it's no big deal to them.

At least that's my take, I don't think anyone above base commander level was involved.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Bowman
    Having lived next to a military base, our local government and base officials worked close together. I think that's what happened here, the Mayor called up the base commander and he lent them a few MPs. A big percentage of the people in this town are probably military so it's no big deal to them.

At least that's my take, I don't think anyone above base commander level was involved.
    In the San Diego area it isn't unusual to see Navy Military Police driving on public street and highways as they go from base to base up as far as Camp Pendleton north of Oceanside. If they see an accident, a fire or a crime in progress they will stop and take control of the area until the local police arrive on the scene. It's called mutual aid. If the military needs assistance they will in turn call in the local law enforcement.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

USA TODAY

USA TODAY

Army reviews troop use after fatal Ala. shootings

Posted 1m ago

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — The Army said Wednesday it opened an inquiry into whether federal laws were broken when nearly two dozen soldiers were sent to a south Alabama town after 11 people died in a shooting spree last week.
    State officials said the deployment of 22 military police officers and the provost marshal from Fort Rucker was requested neither by Republican Gov. Bob Riley nor the White House, which typically is required by law for soldiers to operate on U.S. soil.

Col. Michael J. Negard of the Army Training and Doctrine Command at Fort Monroe, Va., said officials are trying to determine who ordered the soldiers to Samson, who requested them, why they were sent and what they did there.

"In addition to determining the facts, this inquiry will also consider whether law, regulation and policy were followed," he said. He declined further comment.

Former Samson resident Michael McLendon, 28, fatally shot nine victims in the town and killed a 10th in a neighboring county. The March 10 spree ended when McLendon killed himself, and the soldiers arrived in the hours after.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Florida | White House | Virginia | Marine | Congressional Research Service | Bob Riley | Fort Rucker | Samson | Doctrine Command | Fort Monroe | Army Training | Michael McLendon | Stephen Gordon
    Investigators said McLendon was despondent over his inability to hold a job and his failure to become a Marine or a police officer.

Riley isn't concerned whether the military overstepped its bounds, said Press Secretary Jeff Emerson.

"From what I understand it was a few folks who came to direct traffic or help where they could," Emerson said. "If it had been more than what it was there might be a reason for concern, but these folks just came to see if they could help and left."

The White House press office did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

Reporters and curious citizens poured in after the slayings, overwhelming the town of 2,000 near the Florida state line. Samson is about 35 miles from Fort Rucker, the Army's main helicopter training base.

Samson's tiny police force and county officers were stretched to the limit after the shootings, which left investigators with at least seven different crime scenes to check for evidence.

Samson Mayor Clay King said he did not know why the soldiers showed up in town, but he was glad they did.

"The only function they did was directing traffic. They took drinks and snacks to other people working crime scenes," King said. "I'm proud they were here."

Residents said soldiers from Fort Rucker, a major employer in southeastern Alabama, have a reputation for helping nearby communities in emergencies.

According to a summary by the Congressional Research Service, federal law generally prohibits the armed forces from being used as domestic police. Exceptions include emergencies, when troops can help civilians but don't directly act as police.

The chairman of the Libertarian Party of Alabama, Stephen Gordon, said while many are worried about the use of Army troops in civilian police roles, he doubts there was anything nefarious about the soldiers in Samson.

"There is no apparent harm here, but the principle still needs to be upheld," Gordon said. "The barrier has been lowered for the next time, and we really need to take a look at what happened.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    You can post a cmment on the USA TODAY Online site at this link:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2 ... ings_N.htm
    NO AMNESTY

The last thing I am going to worry about is well-armed American troops in my community. I trust them more than I do the non-English speaking roaming out late at night.
    Another thought: maybe these guys were just on leave and hated to leave their uniforms and guns behind.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    The last thing I am going to worry about is well-armed American troops in my community. I trust them more than I do the non-English speaking roaming out late at night.
    Another thought: maybe these guys were just on leave and hated to leave their uniforms and guns behind. :lol:
    I agree with preferring to have U.S. troops in town rather than illegal alien gang members, or any gang member for that matter.
    A local news show quoted the police chief as saying that the troops didn't have any guns of any type on them.
    NO AMNESTY

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    ooops, looks like the shadow government forgot to tell the President what they were doing again. Hate it when that happens

Maybe they're using this to get a head start !

I have faith in the men and women of the U.S. military.

I trust that they know right from wrong and will do the right and legal thing here in their own country.
    NO AMNESTY