Why are Gonzales' amigos so silent?
By Raul Reyes

Alberto Gonzales looked lonely sitting at that long red table as he answered questions during a congressional hearing last week about his role in the firings of eight federal prosecutors. Facing withering criticism, the nation's highest-ranking Latino seemed to have become a national piñata, with both Democrats and Republicans lining up to take a good swing at him.

If I weren't so appalled by his record as attorney general, I could almost feel sorry for my fellow Chicano. Almost.

Even as he fights to keep his job, Gonzales still has plenty of amigos. For the past two years, the national Hispanic leadership has been his ongoing enabler. When Gonzales was nominated to become U.S. attorney general in 2005, Democratic Sen. Ken Salazar of Colorado welcomed him to the Senate Judiciary Committee. Major Hispanic organizations lined up to support the White House counsel who was poised to make history.

Back then, I was disappointed that so many Hispanic leaders supported Gonzales because he was "one of us," overlooking his dismissal of the Geneva Conventions in the war on terror and his role in the memo that said torturing suspected al-Qaeda members abroad "may be justified." He also supported President Bush's decision to engage in warrantless wiretapping of Americans. If any other political figure had shown such disregard for the constitutional separation of powers and civil liberties, Latino groups would have been in an uproar. Instead, the League of United Latin American Citizens and the Latino Coalition have been strangely silent regarding Gonzales, as has been the National Council of La Raza.

Latino elected leaders have also been reluctant to break ranks. Florida's Sen. Mel Martinez, the lone Latino Republican, has expressed support for Gonzales. Presidential candidate and New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson admitted he hasn't called for Gonzales' resignation — "It's because he's Hispanic. I'm honest."

I admire Richardson and the Latino groups that have made great contributions to society. They have helped people realize that we Latinos need to be judged for our capabilities and accomplishments, not on the color of our skin. For these same reasons, giving Gonzales a pass on the basis of his ethnicity is unacceptable.

Gonzales' problems have nothing to do with his heritage. He has chosen to be a servant of the president, rather than of justice and equality. In doing so, he has failed all Americans. It is unfortunate that the accompanying void of Latino leadership has failed the Hispanic community as well.

Raul Reyes is an attorney in New York and a member of USA TODAY's board of contributors.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2007/04/ ... nzale.html