Governor Doyle not running for re-election in 2010

By The Associated Press and Leader-Telegram staff
August 16, 2009

MADISON - In a news conference Monday, Gov. Jim Doyle is expected to outline his future political plans, and a person who was informed of the decision tells The Associated Press that the governor will not seek re-election in 2010.

The person, who was not authorized to announce the decision, told the AP that Doyle would make it public Monday. The person says Doyle will serve out the rest of his four-year term.

Doyle's office had released a one-sentence statement Saturday saying he would announce his plans Monday. Because he has not committed to seeking a third term, speculation has swirled he would not run again.

Doyle spokeswoman Carol Andrews would not comment beyond Saturday's statement.

State Rep. Pat Kreitlow, D-Chippewa Falls, said Saturday night he had heard Doyle might not run for a third term.

"The best I can say at this point is that if it were true, he certainly has deserved the ability to change direction after two great terms of service to the people of Wisconsin," Kreitlow said by phone. "If he wants to seek some new challenges, that is certainly within his right, and we wish him all the best whether it's after this term or any time in the future.

"Until we know what his plans are, I'll continue to be very supportive (in his quest) to help Wisconsin emerge from this economic downturn,"Kreitlow said.

Brian Westrate, Eau Claire County Republican Party chairman, said Saturday night that Doyle would face a tough re-election in 2010, because of the state budget and other decisions driven by Democratic leadership.

"I think he got out of town before the sheriff showed up," Westrate said.

Doyle wanted to leave office and claim two good terms without having to face a long, protracted fight in the 2010 race, Westrate speculated.

Doyle, 63, has given undefined answers in the last month about where his future lies.

When asked about a prospective Obama post by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel last month, Doyle said, "I have no intention of doing anything but serving out this term."

Doyle was an early backer of President Barack Obama and campaigned aggressively in Wisconsin and across the country.

Several Republicans already are running for governor, most notably Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker and Mark Neumann, a former congressman who represented southeastern Wisconsin. Expected Democratic candidates include U.S. Rep. Ron Kind of La Crosse, Lt. Gov. Barbara Lawton and Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett.

It's been a rough year for Doyle. Faced with a record high $6.6 billion budget shortfall, Doyle raised anger among Republicans and the business community for increasing some taxes. But he avoided raising general sales or income taxes, a move many saw as a sign he was positioning himself for another run. He also has been aggressively raising money, having collected $2 million to date.

http://www.leadertelegram.com/story-new ... KT3H6G60FP