Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

WSJ: The NAACP and Black Abortion by William McGurn

July 15, 2008
    MAIN STREET
    By WILLIAM MCGURN

The NAACP and Black Abortions
    July 15, 2008;*Page*A17

At the Good Counsel shelters for homeless pregnant women in New York, yesterday was business as usual: pregnant moms getting ready to deliver, other mothers feeding their children, still others going off to school or training for new jobs.

There is a striking fact about these women: most are African-American. "These moms are attracted to Good Counsel because they know they will be in an environment where their baby is considered as beautiful and as worthy of life as any other," says Executive Director Chris Bell.

Yesterday was not business as usual at the 99th annual conference for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. For one thing, the first African-American to head the presidential ticket of a major party was on hand. Yet there was another interesting appearance that went mostly unmentioned. This was a protest by African-American pro-lifers; many NAACP members; who can't understand why America's most venerated civil rights organization turns a blind eye to what they say is the abortion industry's practice of targeting poor minority neighborhoods.

These folks include the Rev. Clenard Childress, a New Jersey pastor who runs a Web site called blackgenocide.org1; the same language the Rev. Jesse Jackson used before he threw in his lot with the Democratic Party. These folks include Day Gardner of the National Black Pro-Life Union, and Levon Yuille of the National Black Pro-Life Caucus. And these folks include Dr. Alveda King, a niece of the Rev. Martin Luther King who says she knows what abortion does to a woman; because she had two of them before her change of heart.

"I remember when I was pregnant and considering a third abortion," she says. "I went to Daddy King [her grandfather and Martin Luther King's father]. He told me, 'that's a baby, not a blob of tissue.' Unfortunately, 14 million African-Americans are not here today because of legalized abortion. It's as if a plague swept through America's cities and towns and took one of every four of us."

What Dr. King is alluding to is that abortion disproportionately affects African-Americans. A fact sheet from the Guttmacher Institute puts it this way: "Black women are 4.8 times as likely as non-Hispanic white women to have an abortion." The Centers for Disease Control further report what this means: While about one out of every five white pregnancies ends in abortion, it's nearly one out of every two for African-Americans.
    The debate can get uncomfortable.

Pro-lifers point to Planned Parenthood's origins in the eugenics movement. Indeed, these unpleasant associations recently resurfaced after pro-life students at UCLA hired actors to call up Planned Parenthood clinics posing as donors. In one call, the actor expressed his dislike of affirmative action, and said that he just felt that "the less black kids out there, the better." The woman responded, "understandable, understandable" and went on to say she was "excited" about the donation. Other calls yielded similar embarrassing results.

On the other side, of course, are the maternity homes and Crisis Pregnancy Centers. Planned Parenthood and their allies accuse these centers of posing as medical clinics, offering religion instead of science, and of "traumatizing" pregnant women by showing them things like sonograms. It's an odd complaint from a group that runs a Web site called Teenwire2 – which offers adolescents tips on everything from anal sex to a crude, animated condom game.

Given that the overwhelming majority of women who have abortions are over age 20, showing one a sonogram or telling her "Jesus loves you" seems pretty tame stuff.

Planned Parenthood has every legal right to pursue its business. But if; as our pro-choice friends like to say; we really want a world where abortion is more rare, could not the NAACP help?

Just imagine if this institution used its voice and resources to ensure that, beside all those Planned Parenthood clinics located in our minority neighborhoods, African-American women could find another kind of place. A place not unlike Good Counsel; where a scared young pregnant woman could carry her baby to term, complete her education, train for a new job, and be treated with the love and respect that a mother needs and deserves.

In other words, could not the NAACP work for a society where pregnant African-Americans had two doors open to them? Planned Parenthood's not going anywhere, so the first would still lead to America's largest abortion provider, a business that has already eliminated millions from America's population. But the other would lead to people whose business is of a vastly different order: welcoming these children into the world, and getting their moms the help they need to live lives of purpose and dignity.
    Then again, that would give women a real choice.

Write to MainStreet@wsj.com3

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121607809378852557.html*Hyperlinks in this Article: (1)

http://www.blackgenocide.org (2) http://www.teenwire.com/ (3) mailto: MainStreet@wsj.com (4) http://online.wsj.com/opinion (5) http://forums.wsj.com/viewtopic.php? t=3309

Copyright 2008 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

McGurn fails to go into the impact that illegal immigration has on the Black abortion rate.

Employers at the small business level have shown a preference for Latino immigrants over young Black males. The more immigrants the more choices for an opening.

Legal immigrants are here with our consent illegal immigrants are not. Illegal immigrant job competition has a direct impact on availability not only of jobs but indirectly on the American fertility rate. During the first three months of pregnancy the pregnant women have the time to become fully focused on the fact that the unemployed fathers are poor sources of child support.

The couples planning children tend to delay until they can raise them with the same degree of comforts that they had as children. A great many now delay until later in life due to the lower wages for jobs caused by immigration. Black Abortion is the more brutal side of this.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

During the first three months of pregnancy the pregnant women have the time to become fully focused on the fact that the unemployed fathers are poor sources of child support
    Shame more don't think about that before they sleep with them in first place.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    During the first three months of pregnancy the pregnant women have the time to become fully focused on the fact that the unemployed fathers are poor sources of child support
    Shame more don't think about that before they sleep with them in first place.
    Absolutely! I'm forty years old, educated and make good money, but I have not had children because I simply could not afford to do so. That choice had nothing to do with illegal immigration. But it had much to do with personal responsibility. And by no means am I trying to imply that i'm perfect. God knows I have made plenty of mistakes in my life. Certainly, I empathize with any woman who finds herself in that situation.

Also, I notice you used the word "fathers" as opposed to "husbands" Richard. Was that intentional ?

I would have to believe that a Husband in a committed relationship, would be more willing and able to afford the responsibilities that go along with being a father. Certainly, out of wedlock births present their own unique challenges, which are complicated if the "father" is ill prepared to face those responsibilities because of lack of education and or other factors.

I do agree that illegal immigration has a devastating impact on the African American community, especially those who may be in ther lower social economic class. But it also has a detrimental impact on everyone in the lower social-economic class who have to compete with the supressed wages that illegal invaders bring to the market.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

What often happens in the lower income community regardless of color is that the couples first pregnancy comes before marriage.
    When the pregnancy occurs they think "can we take care of our responsibilities to provide for our household". That level of provision is actually a rather subjective decision. The couple thinks of what they had when they were being raised and if the two parents are from the Third World then it is lower.

I do agree that illegal immigration has a devastating impact on the African American community, especially those who may be in ther lower social economic class. But it also has a detrimental impact on everyone in the lower social-economic class who have to compete with the supressed wages that illegal invaders bring to the market.
    Exactly. In spite of what they keeps saying, there are poor people of all races not to mention what used to be middle-income jobs that were lost as well. Carpentry, roofing etc. Trades....where skill is involved even if you don't have a formal education. Factory work....atleast whats left paid better than it does now, because of unlimited illegals.

What I don't like about the pro-life crowd is this idea that if abortions were illegal, somehow all these babies would be born. They unfortunatly have forgotten, abortions of some type have been going on for ions and are even done in 3rd world countries. Crude and barbaric methods that often times ended up in the death of both the mother and child. Many by still poor people who couldn't afford another child or that tragic teenage mis-hap. Not to mention countless suicides, drug overdoses or other means to end the pregnancy. Men who would beat the woman because they didn't want to feel "trapped" by a baby. I agree they should have more accessable options for those who want to keep their babies and have a supportive environment if the father and parents aren't......but I don't by this black genocide business. Not to mention it seems this is results from just Planned Parenthood....a low cost option for people.....but not the only place who treat women or offer abortions. So I don't think it's an accurate picture.