The World Wildlife Federation is actively urging U.S. members to contact their Congressional representatives on behalf of passage of "Cap and Trade" legislation this year. From their website:

Take Action on Climate Change

U.S. Activists: Please call your members of Congress and urge them to pass strong climate and clean energy legislation this year. Calling and registering your support is one of the most important steps you can take to ensure that Congress passes a strong climate bill.

Call 1-866-220-0044 and ask for your senators. Tell them you want to see them pass strong climate change and clean energy legislation this year.

Get more info about this campaign

You can also email your members of Congress using the sample letter below.

Complete the form below with your information.

To greatly increase your impact, personalize the subject and body of the message below. Want advice on how to edit your message?

(edit)

Dear [Decision Maker],

As your constituent and someone who is greatly concerned about both the future of the U.S. economy and the future of our planet, I am writing to ask you to support legislation to invest in a clean energy future for the United States while reducing the pollution that is causing climate change.

The House of Representatives has taken an important first step by passing the American Clean Energy and Security Act. Before the end of the year, the Senate needs to act and the full Congress needs to send the strongest possible bill to the president's desk. I urge you to support efforts to finalize and pass strong and effective legislation to address climate change and jumpstart our clean energy economy.

* Please personalize your message
We are already feeling the effects of climate change here in America. In June, the White House released a sobering report detailing significant impacts from climate change in every region of our country--from droughts in the Southeast, to floods in the Midwest, to wildfires in the West. If Congress doesn't act, these damages will only become more severe, posing enormous and potentially catastrophic costs to our environment and our economy.

Your support could be decisive in determining the legacy we leave our children. Will it be a healthy, safe and prosperous future? Or one ravaged by the worst impacts of climate change--impacts that could have been avoided?

We need strong legislation that will make our nation more energy independent and create a foundation for sustainable economic growth. By investing in a clean energy future, we will rebuild our economy and ensure that the U.S. is able to compete and thrive in the 21st century. Energy technology will be an economic engine of the future. I want your support for that new industry--and the jobs it will create.

Please act to transition our economy to clean, alternative and renewable sources of energy, generate new clean-energy jobs and greatly increase our energy efficiency. By doing so, you will help make our nation more secure by helping to break our addiction to oil and our dependence on energy from unstable or hostile regimes. I also urge you to take immediate and aggressive steps to reduce global warming pollution so that we can avoid severe and irreversible disruptions to our climate and the negative environmental and economic impacts that will result.

Action by Congress will be critical to achieving a new international agreement on climate change, which is the only way we can effectively address this global problem. Please ensure that climate legislation invests in global solutions to climate change by helping less developed countries reduce their emissions and adapt to inevitable climate change impacts - impacts that threaten to destabilize their societies and create risks to our own national security. Among these investments should be measures to reduce emissions from tropical deforestation, which is one of the leading causes of climate change. In addition to their role in stabilizing the climate, tropical forests are home to much of planet's biological diversity as well as rich human cultures that depend on them for survival. The bill recently passed by the House includes important provisions to help avoid the destruction of tropical forests. Please work to make certain that these provisions and the resources to support them are included in the final bill.

I ask you, as my representative in Congress, to ensure that we leave our children and grandchildren a world that is safe and prosperous. Please support efforts to finalize and pass the strongest possible bill to jumpstart America's clean energy future and aggressively tackle global climate change.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]
[Your Address]
[City, State ZIP]

https://secure2.convio.net/wwf/site/Adv ... ion&id=335