Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maryland (2010)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Maryland (2010)

Maryland (2010)

Public Benefits – Requirement of Proof of Lawful Presence
    House: Hearing 2/09 at 2:00 p.m. – 1/27

HOUSE BILL: 343

Sponsored By:
    Delegate O'Donnell

Entitled:
    Public Benefits - Requirement of Proof of Lawful Presence

Mission: (support) HB343

Task: call, fax, e-mail

Synopsis:

Requiring that adults provide proof of lawful presence in the United States before receiving public benefits; requiring State units and political subdivisions that provide public benefits to verify the lawful presence of persons in the United States; requiring applicants for public benefits to produce specified types of identification and affidavits; etc.
    History by Legislative and Calendar Date

Legislative date is used to record history occurring in the Chambers otherwise Calendar date is used. Explain Legislative Date and Calendar Date
    Any actions occurring today are available in the proceedings and hearing schedule

House Action

Bill is in the House - First Reading Appropriations
    File Code: State Government - Regulations and Procedures
    Prior Year Introduction As: HB 1234/09 - APP

1/27
    First Reading Appropriations
    Hearing 2/9 at 2:00 p.m.

Senate Action
    No Action

http://mlis.state.md.us/2010rs/billfile/hb0343.htm

Text of Bill-
    http://mlis.state.md.us/2010rs/bills/hb/hb0343f.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

Bill: HB 1012 (support)

Sponsored By:

Delegate Jenkins

Entitled:
    Report and Record Immigration Status - Division of Correction and Division of Parole and Probation

Mission: (support) HB 1012

Task: call, fax, e-mail

Synopsis:
    Requiring the Division of Correction and the Division of Parole and Probation to forward specified information from a specified case record and presentence investigation report, respectively, to the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency if the case record or presentence investigation report indicates that the inmate or the individual has an immigration status; etc.

House Action:

Bill is in the House - First Reading Judiciary
    File Code: Public Safety
    Crossfiled with: HOUSE BILL 1264 SENATE BILL 227

2/15
    First Reading Judiciary
    2/16
    Hearing 3/23 at 1:00 p.m.
    ----------------------------------------------------

Bill: HR 4627

Mission: (Support)

Task: Call, fax, e-mail

Synopsis:

The Criminal Penalties for Unauthorized Employment Act of 2010 is designed to replace the current pattern or practice of violations determination as a prerequisite to imposition of criminal penalties against employers and instead authorize imprisonment for any individual with direct hiring authority who knowingly hires an illegal alien.

Under Rep. Kratovils legislation any individual with direct hiring authority who hires an unauthorized alien would be subject to a punishment of $25K and/or 1 year in prison per violation, with penalties increasing for repeat violators.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Contact Information:

State Website:
    http://www.maryland.gov/portal/server.pt?

Governor
    Martin O'Malley
    Contact Webmail Form:
    http://www.governor.maryland.gov/index.asp

State Senators:

http://www.msa.md.gov/msa/mdmanual/05se ... senal.html

House of Delegates:
    http://www.msa.md.gov/msa/mdmanual/06hs ... hseal.html

Legislation in Process:
    http://mlis.state.md.us/

Session
    Jan 9 - Apr 7

Casa De Maryland will do everything and anything to stop this.

They control our state.

Please advise anyone you know in Maryland to show up to support this, as I am certain Casa will be out in full force and bus in loads of illegals to plead their case.
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

http://mlis.state.md.us/2010rs/billfile/hb1012.htm

HOUSE BILL 1012
    Bill is in the House - First Reading Judiciary
    File Code: Public Safety
    Crossfiled with: HOUSE BILL 1264 SENATE BILL 227

Sponsored By:
    Delegate Jenkins

Entitled:
    Report and Record Immigration Status - Division of Correction and Division of Parole and Probation

Synopsis:

Requiring the Division of Correction and the Division of Parole and Probation to forward specified information from a specified case record and presentence investigation report, respectively, to the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency if the case record or presentence investigation report indicates that the inmate or the individual has an immigration status; etc.

History by Legislative and Calendar Date

Legislative date is used to record history occurring in the Chambers otherwise Calendar date is used. Explain Legislative Date and Calendar Date

Any actions occurring today are available in the proceedings and hearing schedule

House Action

2/15
    First Reading Judiciary
    2/16
    Hearing 3/23 at 1:00 p.m.

Referenced from this post in NEWS
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-188925.html

Jenkins’ first bill keeps immigration theme
    Originally published February 19, 2010, 5:17 PM
    By Meg Tully, News-Post Staff

ANNAPOLIS — Newly sworn-in Delegate Charles Jenkins has brought one of his top issues from Winchester Hall to the Maryland State House.

Jenkins, a Republican, introduced his first piece of legislation this week, tackling illegal immigration.

He introduced a bill that would require state corrections institutions to submit reports to the U.S. Customs and Enforcement Agency on the immigration status of inmates.

The state Division of Correction already reports when an inmate is suspected to be from a foreign country — under the bill, any information collected about immigration status would also be forwarded.

The proposal would be somewhat similar to the policy implemented locally by Sheriff Chuck Jenkins, where deputies, working with ICE, check the status of everyone in the local jail. It has resulted in more than 500 people being referred to ICE based on their immigration status.

www.fredericknewspost.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KRATOVIL INTRODUCES CRIMINAL PENALTIES FOR UNAUTHORIZED EMPLOYMENT ACT OF 2010

States News Service
    February 22, 2010
    WASHINGTON, D.C.

The following information was released by the office of Maryland Rep. Frank M. Kratovil, Jr.:

Today, Rep. Frank Kratovil Introduced H.R. 4627, the Criminal Penalties for Unauthorized Employment Act of 2010.

The legislation expands the criminal and civil penalties that apply to employers who knowingly hire unauthorized aliens.

A key to ending illegal immigration is reducing the incentives for individuals to cross the border looking for work, said Rep. Kratovil.

"We need serious enforcement of the rules already on the books, but we also need to let employers know that they too are breaking the law and damaging our economy when they hire undocumented, illegal immigrants."

The Criminal Penalties for Unauthorized Employment Act of 2010 is designed to replace the current pattern or practice of violations determination as a prerequisite to imposition of criminal penalties against employers and instead authorize imprisonment for any individual with direct hiring authority who knowingly hires an illegal alien.

If passed, the bill will significantly increase the maximum terms of imprisonment, criminal fines, and civil fines that apply for such violations.

Under current federal law, criminal penalties for knowingly hiring an unauthorized alien only apply upon a showing that a person or entity engages in a pattern or practice of violations.

If a pattern or practice of violations can be established, the individual is subject to a fine of $3,000 for each illegal alien and/or imprisoned for a maximum of 6 months for the entire pattern or practice.

Under Rep. Kratovils legislation any individual with direct hiring authority who hires an unauthorized alien would be subject to a punishment of $25K and/or 1 year in prison per violation, with penalties increasing for repeat violators.

Employers who hire illegal immigrants are not only breaking the law, but they are also undermining the legal immigration system, creating an unfair advantage over employers who are playing by the rules, and hurting American workers, said Rep. Kratovil.

We can't make progress toward reducing illegal immigration until we get serious about cracking down on the bad actors who are creating the incentives.

In the coming weeks, I will be discussing this bill with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle and building momentum in the Congress to get it passed.

http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/En ... 85&start=2

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-189143.html
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

MARYLAND IS A BASKET CASE!

My poor - Once Beautiful State- has been taken over by far left nut jobs from Montgomery County and Prince Georges County. We are a SANCTUARY STATE. Our corrupt officials are in cahoots with CASA de Maryland and they DO control our legislature. I've been there many times and seen it.

I am going tomorrow to OPPOSE a BOND bill for funding for CASA de Maryland and Identity (another illegal alien support group) It is beyond my comprehension how these dirt bags can ASK FOR MORE TAXPAYER MONEY TO FINANCE THEIR Lawless groups! Maryland has a 2 billion dollar deficit, unemployment is very high and we are totally disgusted with our leadership!! EVERYONE I SPEAK TO IS FED UP !!! www.helpsavemaryland.com

Md. bill seeks crackdown on illegal immigrants
    By: Hayley Peterson
    Examiner Staff
    March 22, 2010

Maryland State Police would assume the power of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers to identify, investigate and detain illegal immigrants under a bill moving through the General Assembly.

The legislation would make Maryland the first state in the nation to mandate 287(g), a federal program that allows local police officers to nab illegal immigrants.

"This will get illegals on a federal fast track out of the state," said Del. Patrick McDonough, R-Baltimore and Harford counties, sponsor of the bill. "We have special units that go out and serve warrants, we have drug strike forces ... and this will be a criminal-illegal-immigration strike force."

The bill would require a select number of state police to undergo four weeks of training with ICE.

Maryland State Police opposes the measure, according to spokeswoman Elena Russo.

Opponents of 287(g) say the program encourages racial profiling and that it's costly compared with newer measures such as Secure Communities -- an ICE initiative that uses detainees' fingerprints to identify illegals.

Prince William County in Virginia shells out $1.5 million annually for 11 officers trained to serve as ICE agents, said Corey Stewart, chairman of the county Board of Supervisors. Prince William has identified 2,350 illegal immigrants since implementing 287(g) three years ago, Stewart, a Republican, said, adding that the county's violent crime rate has dropped 38 percent in the same period. He speculated that the program is driving illegal immigrants out of Prince William and into Montgomery County. Seven other law enforcement agencies in Virginia use 287(g), and Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell, a Republican, made a campaign promise to enforce the program statewide.

Frederick County is the only jurisdiction in Maryland using 287(g). McDonough said the county has detained 600 illegal immigrants in the last two years using the program.

In the District of Columbia, the chief of police and members of the D.C. Council have traditionally opposed 287(g).

"We don't want our local law enforcement to become immigration enforcement officers," Councilman Jim Graham, D-Ward 1, said during an oversight hearing on the police department.

Nationwide, 67 local law enforcement agencies in 25 states have implemented 287(g) since its inception four years ago. In that time, ICE has trained 1,075 officers who have identified 130,000 "potentially removable" aliens, according to the Department of Homeland Security.

www.washingtonexaminer.com

My Letter to the governor

Dear Governor O'Malley,

Please support legislation to ensure that those who live and work in Maryland are here legally, and that businesses that hire illegals will be penalized in a meaningful way. Please also support legislation to remove any benefits that are not constitutionally required for illegals.

This is not a conservative issue; it is a progressive one. Illegal employment is destroying our way of life. Progressives before us fought—some gave their lives—for safe working conditions, decent wages, and a 40-hour work week. The 2002 decision of Hoffman vs NLRB said an illegal is not due back pay if fired for joining a union. The effect of this, taken together with federal law making illegal the hiring of illegal aliens, is to permit firing at will. While the Supreme Court’s decision is correct, to fire at will without the disincentive of back pay means employers can without concern circumvent employment laws, leveraging illegals against citizen workers who become concerned for their own jobs.

Unless and until we remove the attractions that bring illegal aliens here, we will continue to have this problem. Although the federal government wants to "solve" this problem once again by legalization, it only tells the world that, if you can sneak in and do not get caught, we'll change our law for you again because our law means nothing to us. Since Ronald Reagan’s amnesty, workers’ rights have steadily eroded. While other factors are also at work, the recurring importation and legalization of illegals has greatly contributed to that erosion. It is madness to keep repeating a solution that doesn't work—that is, if a stop to illegal migration is truly the result being sought.

Sincerely,
    “Claiming nobody is listening to your phone calls is irrelevant – computers do and they are not being destroyed afterwards. Why build a storage facility for stuff nobody listens to?.” Martin Armstrong

Re: MARYLAND IS A BASKET CASE!

Quote Originally Posted by trixie
    My poor - Once Beautiful State- has been taken over by far left nut jobs from Montgomery County and Prince Georges County. We are a SANCTUARY STATE. Our corrupt officials are in cahoots with CASA de Maryland and they DO control our legislature. I've been there many times and seen it.

I am going tomorrow to OPPOSE a BOND bill for funding for CASA de Maryland and Identity (another illegal alien support group) It is beyond my comprehension how these dirt bags can ASK FOR MORE TAXPAYER MONEY TO FINANCE THEIR Lawless groups! Maryland has a 2 billion dollar deficit, unemployment is very high and we are totally disgusted with our leadership!! EVERYONE I SPEAK TO IS FED UP !!! www.helpsavemaryland.com
    Yes. PG is predominately black, and 88% oppose legalization. I will check out the website you show--thanks for the info!
    “Claiming nobody is listening to your phone calls is irrelevant – computers do and they are not being destroyed afterwards. Why build a storage facility for stuff nobody listens to?.” Martin Armstrong

Letter to candidate for governor, bob Ehrlich

Dear Mr. Ehrlich,

I am asking you to, at a minimum, support and, if elected, implement the federal 287(g) program for Maryland, including a mandate for all counties to implement the program.

I am a Democrat. Maryland is a sanctuary state, and recent estimates are we pay about $700 per taxpayer to support illegal aliens in our state. (http://www.helpsavemaryland.com/)

This doesn't account for the remittances that leave our state's economy for other countries. For my county, PG, the cost to taxpayers is estimated at $200 million. PG piggyback is the highest in the state in part because we have become a sanctuary county. Most illegals come to work here, and their families stay in their country of origin. If there is a "path to citizenship" all these families will likely come here, further increasing my tax burden at both state, county, and federal levels.

PG is majority black; 88% of blacks and a majority of Caucasians oppose legalization. I see black anger--deep anger--when I go shopping and Spanish speakers are there. It is often expressed to me even though I don't know the person, haven't said anything, or made a look. More than once I've heard comments in line at the grocery store from blacks and other Caucasians about "there go my tax dollars" when seeing an immigrant with a fist full of food stamps, a child in hand, one in the stroller, and one on the way. I could do a lot with my $700 back, and it would be good for Maryland as well as for me when I spend it here. The thing is, most of the politial class are not in tune with the voters on this issue.

Sincerely,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast