Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Another view from SC Senator

Subject: Re: smoke and mirrors show

The Senate Bill does the things you have asked for in making it illegal to knowingly and willfully hire an illegal immigrant, illegal to transport and/or harbor an illegal immigrant. The Senate Bill is the only bill that includes private employers. The House Bill only addresses contractors that work for state government.

The hang up has been on the three forms of identification that can be used to establish legal status. For government contractors, eVerify (a Federal Government Databased established between Home Land Security and Social Security Administration) and a valid SC Driver's License or SC DMV Identification Card can be used. For Private Employers, the Senate added the Federal I-9 form as there are error problems associated with eVerify. EVerify has a high error rate (>10%) for immigrants and even a 6% error rate for US Citizens. We felt this was too high and could deny legals who are here following the rules a job.

Any forms can be beat. Just think how many young people under 21 have a SC Driver's License that shows them to be 21 or older. However, the real bottom line is our Bill makes it against the law to hire illegals, makes it against the law to transport illegals, and makes it against the law to harbor illegals, regardless of what form is used.

If we can get the House to go with our Bill, we can get this done quickly. If the House would pass a Bill that included Private Employers, we could adopt that Bill. I do think we will get Illegal Immigration Reform done this year, inspite of what you read in the Post and Inquirer.

Thanks for your comments,

Paul

Another Explanation

Thank you for your e-mail and I appreciate your legitmiate concerns
    about immigration and the need to be able to protect our borders as well
    as many other concerns. Please allow me to give you a short legislative
    history for I as well as you am somewhat confused. In February after
    long hours, we were not able to get e-verify only passed after several
    votes and philibusters. Please remember that with Senate rules which
    we are dealt with, a few senators were able to kill the Common Law
    marriage bill even though women, church groups and the probate judges wanted
    to pass. So in the Senate, our founders wanted a process which took
    compromise in order to get things passed, very unlike the House. But we
    DID pass a fairly strong bill that for the first time involved ALL
    employers, gave a cause of action if fired and replaced with an illegal,
    andhad E-verify but with it I-9. E-Verify does allow us to know if it
    is a valid and not a fake social security card, but does not prevent 20
    illegals from using the same card [ to my understanding ]. I-9's
    require different id's but the federal government has NO review process or
    enforcement process.

Now I am only a dentist but the new Senate version has both e-verify
    and a new animal called SC Verify, which in my view might just be the
    strongest bill in the country. YOU DECIDE. With SC Verify the state
    creates something similiar to the I-9 BUT because it is created by the state
    [ not like the federal I-9] it can and will be enforced with fairly
    drastic monetary penalties. The analogy is that if you lie on your
    federal taxes the state cannot do anything to you because it is a federal
    issue with federal forms. BUT if you lie on you state taxes the state
    can and will come after you.So with SC Verify, you have to turn in your
    employees records and if you are shown or someone such as a competitor
    charges you with illegals, then you WILL be audited by the state since
    these are STATE forms and you will have very severe penalties depending
    on your neglience level.

Again, this is a system that seems for the first time to have major
    penalties for employers. It is a questionof supply and demand. If
    employers can not offer employment due to the risk of major penalties, then
    there is no reason for illegals to stay in SC. It makes sense to me but
    you need to decide. However it is a bill that is much stronger than I
    thought that we could get through the Senate with its rules. For
    people who speak against it, I personally believe that they do not
    understand the FULL aspects of the bill or they have OTHER AGENDAS. But again I
    am only a dentist trying to to my best. Sincerely Ray

The Honorable Raymond E. Cleary III
    State Senator
    District 34

May 28, 2008
    South Carolina Lawmakers Compromise on Illegal
    Immigration Bill

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 03:14 PM
    By Robert Kittle

The House and Senate have finally reached an agreement on an illegal immigration reform bill, and Governor Mark Sanford has indicated he will sign it into law. It still needs official approval from both bodies, but lawmakers who’ve been working on a compromise say that’s just a formality at this point.

The sticking point for weeks has been how businesses would verify whether their workers are here legally. The House wanted businesses to use as an option E-Verify, a federal system for checking workers’ status online. But the Senate wanted to create a new state version of a form similar to the federal I-9 form. Senators have now agreed with using E-Verify.
    The bill will create a 24-hour telephone hotline and website to report illegal immigrants. It will require all employers to verify their employees’ status by making sure they have a valid SC driver’s license, a license from another state that has the same eligibility requirements as SC, or through the E-Verify system.

Full story at link:

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-117213.html
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Immigration reform passes Legislature
    Tim Smith, STAFF WRITER, May 29, 2008

COLUMBIA -- After years of wrestling with the issue, the Legislature today gave final approval to a compromise plan for immigration reform that will require all employers in the state to verify the legal status of new workers. The House voted 94-16 to concur with a proposal approved by the Senate this week, sending the bill to Gov. Mark Sanford, who said he would sign it. "Working together, we've put forth a bill that will make a difference when it comes to illegal immigration in South Carolina, and I look forward to signing it when it reaches my desk," Sanford said in a statement afterward. The bill requires all employers, no matter their size, to verify the legal status of their new workers beginning next summer, though businesses with fewer than 100 workers would have until the summer of 2010 to do so, and to use the federal electronic verification database or state driver's licenses.

More to story at link:
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-117337.html
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

VICTORY!!!!
    Posted on Wed, Jun. 04, 2008
    Sanford signs illegal immigration bill
    By SEANNA ADCOX - The Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. --Gov. Mark Sanford signed legislation Wednesday that threatens to temporarily shut down businesses and fine them up to $1,000 per worker if they employ illegal immigrants.

Sanford, surrounded by about 20 legislators, said the measure reasserts the rule of law in South Carolina - cracking down on the "wink-and-nod" employment of illegal immigrants. He and legislators said they hope the ideas spread and force Congress to act.

"The message is loud and clear: Stop the silent invasion of this state," said Senate President Pro Tem Glenn McConnell, R-Charleston.

Legislators boasted the measure is the most strict and effective anti-illegal-immigrant bill in the country. Lawmakers made the law increasingly tougher as debate progressed, with constituents becoming more frustrated by the federal government's inaction on the issue.

"It's certainly one of the toughest, if not the toughest," said Larry Frankel, state legislative counsel in the American Civil Liberty Union's Washington office.

Rep. Thad Viers, R-Myrtle Beach, predicted the law will lower the state's unemployment rate, at 5.9 percent in April, because immigrants will "self-deport" and make more jobs available.

But immigrant advocates warn lawmakers may regret what they've done.

Other states to pass comprehensive efforts include Arizona, Oklahoma and Colorado. Georgia passed the first in 2006.

Arizona lawmakers have since considered creating a guest-worker program in the state to fill labor shortages. On Wednesday, a federal judge blocked parts of Oklahoma's anti-illegal immigration law, saying it's likely unconstitutional.

"The problem with bills that are so harsh is they end up hurting businesses who have problems finding employees," said the ACLU's Frankel. "It's also driving people out of state. Some people think, 'That's great; they're illegals,' but it drives out people who are just not willing to be discriminated against because people assume they're illegal."

Frankel said the legislation could worsen the economic downturn's affects in South Carolina.

Sanford's signing ceremony, on the next-to-last day of session and a week before primary elections, ends months of often contentious debate between the House and Senate on a law legislators said at the beginning of the year would pass within a few weeks.

The debate centered on whether private businesses with no state contracts should be required to verify their workers, and how to legally enforce the requirements.

Under the final version, all employers must either check new hires' Social Security number through a federal online database called E-verify or hire workers with a driver's license from South Carolina or another state with strict requirements.

Employers caught not checking their workers can be fined between $100 and $1,000 per worker, and if an investigation finds they knowingly hired an illegal immigrant, their business can be temporarily shut down, up to 30 days on first offense and five years if caught a third time.

The state Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation will investigate complaints and can randomly audit companies.

Advocates for Hispanics came to the Statehouse on Thursday to urge the governor to reconsider, calling the measure unfair to hardworking immigrants trying to provide for their families and a burden to small business owners.

"We're just human beings who want a prosperous life," said Diana Salazar, director of the Latino Association of Charleston, an American-born citizen who said her great-grandmother came here illegally with just pennies in her pocket.

She was surrounded by about 15 legal and illegal immigrants with signs reading "America was built on immigrants" and "We are not terrorists or criminals!"

Salazar warned the law will hurt the state's two top industries, tourism and agriculture, because citizens don't want the hard labor. She said election-year politics will have economic consequences.

"There's no way I will be picking those vegetables in 90-degree heat," she said. "Who does the housekeeping at all those fancy hotels?"

The bill also bans adult illegal immigrants from receiving public aid, bars illegal immigrants from attending public colleges and requires them to pay out-of-state rates for private colleges. It creates felonies for harboring or transporting illegal immigrants and for forging documents.

Critics have warned it could lead to racial profiling.

Nationwide, more than 1,560 immigrant-related bills were introduced last year, with 240 becoming law. More than 1,100 bills were introduced in the first quarter of this year, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-698466.html#698466

Posted on Wed, Jun. 04, 2008
    A look at S.C.'s new illegal immigration law
    The Associated Press
    The following are highlights of the illegal immigration bill signed into law Wednesday. It will:

- Require all businesses to verify that newly hired employees are in the country legally. Public contractors with at least 500 employees must begin verifying their new hires by January. All other businesses must follow by July 2010.

- Create civil fines up to $1,000 per worker for failing to verify.

- Require employers to temporarily shut down if an investigation finds they knowingly hired illegal immigrants.

- Ban illegal immigrants over 18 from public assistance, with some exceptions such as emergency medical care.

- Create a felony, punishable by up to five years in prison, for falsifying documents.

- Make it a felony to transport or harbor illegal immigrants, though it provides exceptions for some charities, such as churches and soup kitchens.

- Ban illegal immigrants from attending public colleges and bar them from winning state scholarships or grants. They would have to pay out-of-state tuition at private colleges.

- Allow fired workers to sue their former employers if they're replaced by illegal workers within 60 days.

- Bar gun sales to illegal immigrants.

http://www.charlotte.com/205/story/654367.html

Read more at alipac link:
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-698466.html#698466

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123