Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Taneytown , MD Focus Campaign VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Synopsis
    Resolution No. 2006-20, English As The Official Language of Taneytown, was not approved at this time, but held over for more discussion.
    Activist Instructions

We need ALIPAC Activists to make calls, send letters, faxes, and e-mails to all members of the Taneytown Council asking them to please pass the ordinances to make English the official language. You may want to share with them some articles about what other cities are doing and some of the problems and public attitudes (polls) about illegal immigration.

Examples

Dear Councilman _________:

I am calling/writing today to ask you to please follow the lead of Hazelton, PA and pass strict immigration measures in Tameny as soon as possible. The federal government is not adequately securing our border or enforcing our existing immigration laws. I feel it is incumbent upon our states and cities to take action to protect communities from illegal immigration. Illegal immigration has many negative repercussions for our communities including depressed wages, increased health care costs, increased costs to taxpayers, increased crime, infectious diseases, and lost American jobs.

I hope you will stand with the vast majority of Americans that want our laws enforced and our communities and tax dollars protected from illegal aliens.

Please pass these ordinances as soon as possible. A majority of your constituents support this effort.

Thank You,

Contact Information

http://www.ci.taneytown.md.us/

17 East Baltimore Street
    Taneytown, MD. 21787
    Phone410) 751-1100
    Fax410) 751-1608
    lmhess@taneytown.org

The Mayor and Council meet in the City Council Chambers at 7:30 P.M. on the second Monday of each month for their regular Council Meeting and on the Wednesday before the Council Meeting for their Workshop Meeting.

W. Robert Flickinger Mayor
    410.751.1100 50
    wrflickinger@taneytown.org

Councilmen

Darryl G. Hale Mayor Pro Tem
    410.751.1100 50
    dkhale1@verizon.net

James L. McCarron Jr.
    410.751.1100 50
    jmccarron@qis.net

Paul L. Chamberlain Jr.
    410.751.1100 50
    paulchamberlainjr@yahoo.com

Oliver L Glass
    410.751.1100 50

Jacquelyn J. Boisvert
    410.751.1100 50
    cdboisv@verizon.net

News

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... =taneytown

Taneytown council calls for business in one language

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... =taneytown

Nov. 14, 2006 Advocates: English as official language sends negative message

Oct. 2006 Taneytown Newsletter page 3
    http://www.ci.taneytown.md.us/documents ... R.2006.pdf
    Push for official English expands

Focus Campaigns Status
    Launched 10/17/2006
    ACTIVE
    Completed Date:
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Completed. I will post all comments.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Make Sure

Hello,

Make sure you have the name of the town correct. I know of a Taneytown, MD, but I've never heard of that other name that was used. Of course I could be mistaken, but please double-check the name of the town.

Thanks,

Ostrich
    (formerly lived in MD)

It is Taneytown, MD
    END OF AN ERA 1/20/2009

Letters sent to all above. Will post all replies.
    END OF AN ERA 1/20/2009

DONE

Are we called keyboard warriors?
    We the People. You the Invader

Re: DONE

Quote Originally Posted by houston
    Are we called keyboard warriors?

Right now that seems fitting.

Sent emails to Mayor and Council Members, will post replys.
    Build the dam fence post haste!

My replly from Paul Chamberlain City Council Member. You know guys I debated on whether or not to post this reply because it was embarrassing to me, the more I thought about it, the more I knew he was right, I should have taken the time to write an individual letter to him of why I thought they should make English the official language. I usually do write individual letters I got tired last night and just used the form letter for this focus campaign.So here goes my blistering return email from Councilman Chamberlain. I am going to write him an email and apologise and tell him just why I feel they should make english the official language there.

I appreciate your email. However, I do not appreciate receiving a FORM LETTER EMAIL from differnet individuals.

I am aware of what my constituents believe in and will work towards implementing Ordinances and Resolutions as quickly as I can.

Please in the future refrain from sending me a pre-written email and address the issue or issues from your Heart.

Sincerely,
    Paul
    Paul E. Chamberlain, Jr.
    Taneytown City Council
    240-446-8986

I wrote Paul Chamberlain another letter from the heart since he resented the form letter so much and this is my response from him

I am the Councilman on the City Council that is pushing for English as the Official Language for the City of Taneytown. I believe that I have the votes necessary to pass this. After our recent MML convention, I have realized the need to make this a Chartered Amendment for the City of Taneytown with an Ordinance as well.

The members that need convincing on this matter are the others. I understand the importance of what you are trying to accomplish and will work not only with our town but others to get the necessary legislation passed, starting with English as the Official Language!

Please do a search for "English as the Official Language for Taneytown" and you will see what I have been trying to do so I can convince people (the few) that this is what the majority of people want.

I have been on CNN - Lou Dobbs (September 12th), WBAL radio (September 14th), FOX 5 news as well as other news organizations, trying to get the word out!

Here is my most resent Letter to the Editor which appeared in the Carroll County Times on Monday, October 23rd.

Letters to the Editor for Monday, October 23, 2006

Monday, October 23, 2006

English language can unite us

Editor:

This is in response to those who disagree with English as the official language for the City of Taneytown, the state and the United States.

I adamantly disagree with those few individuals who expound the notion of having two or more languages.

This issue is not about English only. America has always based its strength on diversity. However, this strength was based on one common language. It is not being said that you cannot speak your native language at home, with family and friends or at your place of Worship.

In the U.S. there are more than 300 languages spoken. In Maryland more than 100. And in Carroll County more than 20. Do those who disagree suggest that we learn every language in order for us to communicate with each other?

If those against English as the official language had been paying attention to the most recent studies, they would clearly see that better than 86 percent of Americans, and this includes many immigrants, believe that English should be the official language, and obviously I do as well.

To become a U.S. citizen, one must be able to speak, write and read the English language. So, one must ask why we have a problem with non-English speaking U.S. citizens.

Those that wish to have more than one language spoken are only hurting the very people who need help the most. We have to do more to provide the necessary tools for our legal immigrants to learn English. Without this help, most legal immigrants will never succeed in our society and will have the lower paying jobs and fewer benefits.

For those who wish to have us speak other languages, how can one expect us to learn all the different languages spoken? Should we then also have all our road signs, laws, newspapers, etc. in all the different languages as well? Can the English language be translated into other languages without changing its intent and/or meaning? I think not.

Let's stop segregating and start bringing communities together. There is a lot of work ahead of us to accomplish this endeavor, so let's stop being politically correct. Let's do what is right for America and our diverse population.

This is not about where you came from. This is about keeping America the greatest place to live, work and raise a family. We are one people. We are Americans.

Paul Chamberlain

Taneytown

The writer is a councilman for the City of Taneytown.

nitty,

Your wonderful!

Dixie

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast