Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

JAK
    Lakewood, CO

Mayor Steve Burkholder
    Mayor's Office: 303-987-7040
    sburkholder@lakewood.org

Councilmember Vicki Stack was elected to a four-year term in November 2005.
    303-233-2574
    svstack@aol.com

Councilmember Cheryl Wise was re-elected to a second four-year term in November 2003. She is owner and president of Copper Fields Events Chateau in Wheat Ridge.
    303-232-2097
    cjjwise@att.net

Councilmember Debbie Koop was re-elected to a second four-year term in November 2005. She owns A Golden Moment Video Productions in Lakewood.
    303-374-3223
    councilwomankoop@msn.com

Councilmember Bob Murphy was re-elected to a second four-year term in November 2003.He is the owner of a Lakewood food brokerage firm.
    303-234-1137
    Gourmark@msn.com

Councilmember Sue King was elected to a four-year term in November 2005. She is a Realtor with RE/MAX 100, Inc.
    303-202-2225
    susaneking70@msn.com

Councilmember Ed Peterson was elected to a four-year term in November 2003. He is CEO for Annandale Consultants Inc.
    303-988-8045
    edpetersonward3@juno.com

Councilmember Doug Anderson was elected to a four-year term in November 2005.
    303-988-1616
    doug@councilmananderson.com
    (I hope you get fired ASAP!)

Councilmember Ray Elliott was re-elected to a second four-year term in November 2003. He is CFO of Controlled Products Systems Group, Inc.
    303-987-7766
    relliott@controlledproducts.com

Councilmember Diana Allen was elected to a four-year term in November 2005. She is the Public Information Officer for the Westminster Fire Department.
    303-942-0895
    dallenward5@yahoo.com

Councilmember Mike Stevens was re-elected to a second four-year term in November 2003. He is a broadcast consultant.
    303-988-2483
    jmsmcz@aol.com

Emailed all of the above.

Form Letter.

Will post reply.
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

JAK

Dear Ms. XXXXXXXX:

Thank you for taking your time to contact me. While I believe we each have nothing but the best of intentions for the City of Lakewood, on the issue of immigration we disagree. I hope we can find areas of agreement where we can work together to make Lakewood the best small government possible.

Again thank you
    Doug Anderson
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Pending Hazelton decision: Empower my City? Subdue ACLU?

If US District Judge James M. Munley, who has barred the City of Hazleton PA from enforcing certain laws until he can decide whether they are constitutional saying, "The case is very convoluted...", has ruled on the case (pending since March 2007), I can't find the news. However, can someone elaborate on whether a Federal Court decision in favor of Hazleton might help free other city officials from litigious intimidation by the ACLU, et al, as well as just what is "convoluted" about this case?

While some $200,000 donated to Hazleton by private citizens enabled the city to hire five lawyers including Kris Kobach, a U of M-Kansas City law professor with the Immigration Reform Law Institute, who made most of Hazleton's arguments at trial, twenty lawyers descended upon Hazleton, including those from the ACLU of Pennsylvania, ACLU's Immigrants' Rights Project, the Puerto Rican Legal Defense and Education Fund, the Community Justice Project, the law firm of Cozen O’Connor and local attorneys George Barron, David Vaida and Barry Dyller, to oppose the citizens there in their efforts to pursue their own convictions.

Hazleton is simply trying to find a way to discourage illegal aliens taking residence there by requiring renters to "furnish proper identification showing legal citizenship or permanent residency" in order to obtain an Occupancy Permit costing a mere $10. Upon refusal or neglect to comply, a notice with reasonable time to correct, or take steps to correct, a violation is issued. Conviction may result in fines from $100 to $300 for renters and $1,000 for landlords.

The ACLU would have you believe Hazelton created a very vague, broad definition of an "illegal" immigrant,would punish [those] who do business with these immigrants, [u]require business owners, landlords and city employees to become experts in distinguishing valid forms of identification[u], and impose huge penalties on business owners who get it wrong.

The ACLU, on its own website, says,

[quote]This new law created a very vague, broad definition of an “illegal

I haven't heard anything new on Hazelton. I gave to their support but haven't heard anything. Is it in limbo?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12