Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Keep up the pressure! From Colorado Senator King:

"thanks for the email. I do not support the bill. Keith

False Hope for Illegal Immigrants

Having started three charter schools in Colorado Springs and constantly fighting to empower Colorado's students, I have come to understand the value of a quality education.

The result of quality higher education is the opportunity for skilled, meaningful work. This is something that is not accessible to illegal immigrants even if they attend universities and are given instate tuition. Senate Bill 170 would give them false hope for their future.

So why don't these students just become legal residents? Well it's not that easy. Denver Post columnist Tina Griego states, "The law says if you entered the country illegally - even if you were still in diapers when you did it - then you must return to your home country to be processed for legal re-entry." Continuing, she writes, "It is for this reason that State Sen. Chris Romer's amendment to his in-state tuition bill requiring students to sign an affidavit declaring intent to pursue citizenship is a well-meaning but empty gesture" (Immigration 101 Might Change Minds, March 10, 2009).

Due to the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996, if a resident that is here illegally is offered postsecondary education benefits all citizens must be offered the same benefit - regardless of their state residency status. This means that if SB-170 was passed residents from any state could come into a Colorado college and request instate tuition. This issue has been brought up before the courts in California. If all out-of-state students were granted instate tuition status, higher education revenue losses would be somewhere around $263,890,969 (Colorado Department of Higher Education).

This bill was originally claimed to have no fiscal impact on the state. When it came up in the Senate Education Committee, I decided it needed to be sent to the Appropriations Committee so they true fiscal impact could be determined. My motion failed in committee, but my motion was accepted on the floor. Now in Appropriations, SB-170 is running into bipartisan opposition.

We have compassion for these young men and women, but I do not believe it is appropriate for us to give them false hope."
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Is there any point in calling if you don't live in the state? I usually find they ask where I am from.

I sent emails to all of them, but I am getting alot of replies asking for my "address" and such. So they can verify I am a constitutent of theirs. hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by vmonkey56
    NJ - I am calling and getting answering machines. I have been reading who is for and not for these bills. We may have to start residents.
    Fill the Voice Mail systems with your messages please!

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I sent an e-mail too, but I am from Rhode Island. I am so disgusted with Rhode Island!!

On it. Will send out emails.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Quote Originally Posted by Emanon
    I sent emails to all of them, but I am getting alot of replies asking for my "address" and such. So they can verify I am a constitutent of theirs. hmm.
    So they ignore American's voices but listen to foreign criminals?
    I bet very few of the supporters live in their districts.

Instead of your address give them your qualifications as an American citizen!!
    Taxes paid and any military service for you and your ancestors.

They need to listen to us since this will be part of the national immigration debate starting next week, plus 80% of Americans are against it.

WARNING

You now only have this afternoon and tonight to complete your missions in NJ, CO, and Wisconsin!

Please fill those voice mail systems and email boxes with your messages as rapidly as possible.

The bad news out of Arkansas is confirmed and ALIPAC will redeploy all national volunteers to Arkansas early Thursday morning.

Please complete the missions in these three states and be ready to roll early Thursday morning.

Details.
    BREAKING: Arkansas: In-State Tuition Proposal Advances
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-871391.html#871391

Everyone please keep calm and focused!
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-151170.html

W

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12