Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

1,000 get possibly fake flu vaccin

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3422308

Oct. 28, 2005, 8:51AM
    1,000 get possibly fake flu vaccine
    By ARMANDO VILLAFRANCA
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

More than 1,000 Exxon Mobil employees received flu shots last week with a vaccine now being investigated by the FBI to determine its authenticity.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is testing samples of the vaccine.

The flu shots were given to about 1,000 Exxon Mobil employees and 80 contractors during a Health Fair Oct. 19-20 at the company's Baytown complex of refinery and chemical plants.

Jeanne Miller, a spokeswoman for Exxon Mobil in Baytown, said a state-licensed independent physician's office was contracted to administer the shots. Miller would not identify the office.

In the past, she said, a company medical team administered the flu shots to employees at that plant.

She said the FBI notified Exxon Mobil at its corporate offices earlier this week that it was investigating the authenticity of the vaccine.

Miller did not know whether the investigation had been ongoing or had stemmed from the use of the vaccine at the Baytown complex.

The FBI in Houston referred all comment to the U.S. Attorney's Office.

In a statement released Thursday, U.S. Attorney Chuck Rosenberg said a preliminary investigation does not show the vaccine to be harmful, but measures were being taken to ensure its safety.

"Those known to have received the fake flu vaccine have been notified and steps are being taken to ensure their well being," he stated. "We are also attempting to ascertain whether others might have received a fake vaccine."

If a fake flu vaccine was used, he said, those responsible for its use will be prosecuted for fraud.

Miller said all 3,800 employees at the Baytown complex and contractors were notified Wednesday.

"We have not received any reports of illness potentially related to the vaccine," she said.

She said Exxon Mobil also recommended that employees given the flu shot should be tested for blood-borne pathogens, or germs.

armando.villafranca@chron.com
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Since Exxon Mobil profits were up 75% for the third quarter of this year with TEN BILLION in revenues, I have a hard time working up any sympathy if they all get the flu!
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsie
    Since Exxon Mobil profits were up 75% for the third quarter of this year with TEN BILLION in revenues, I have a hard time working up any sympathy if they all get the flu!

Anything that can disrupt the flow of fuel and raise prices is concerning enough. Our local news reported on how many people in the area think that it is a "conspiracy" that gas prices are so high right now. Gee I wonder why. I think we all know about Enron and the fake energy crises in CA.

The main thing that concerns me is that you have someone giving shots to people under the guise of vaccinations. I hate to think of what the ramifications would be if someone more deviant than the loon that did this pulled this off.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

I just heard on TV that the person who worked for a home health agency was arrested for this. I also heard something else but I'm NOT POSITIVE I heard it right. I THOUGHT they said something about the shots being given at a retirement home. I need to VERIFY!
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

At the least, I smell another class action law suit coming on against Exxon. Gas prices going up to cover their possible losses of course.

BTW, gas is 2.15-2.19 in Corpus Christi. It's 2.69 here but has fallen from 3.49 which was the going rate after Katrina.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

OKAY, jp! I just heard the whole story on the news. Either 1400 or 1500 of the people who got the fake vaccine were Exxon Mobil employees and 14 or 15 were people from a NURSING HOME. THAT is despicable.