Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

UB

10 questions with UNC Chancellor Holden Thorp

UNC-Chapel Hill Chancellor Holden Thorp (Photo by Dan Sears)

Ask Anything: 10 questions with UNC Chancellor Holden Thorp

Posted: Feb. 3, 2009

Mr. Thorp, my daughter is currently in the third grade. Going to college is something we hope she'll decide to do. What can we as parents anticipate tuition to be in the next 10 years? At what age/grade do you feel is best for young people to really start deciding what they want to do in life? – Bridget Allen, Timberlake

Before I answer your question, I’d like to thank you for asking this. It gives me a chance to explain why I work in higher education. The fact that you’re hoping that your daughter will go to college and that her life will be shaped by that dream is what gets all of us up in the morning and gets us excited about our work, which is difficult in these challenging times we’re in.

The potential and idealism of the young people of our state and country motivate us to work tirelessly to build an environment where they can follow their dreams. We need the future accomplishments of your daughter and so many like her to get our society where we need to go. So thank you!

As far as tuition goes, predicting the future is very tough, particularly during these extraordinary economic times. What I can tell you is that for the last several years, tuition and fees have risen between 5 percent and 6 percent each year at public colleges and universities nationally.

Costs vary considerably by school, but Carolina has always been committed to affordability, and our tuition is lower than any of our national peers. We’re proud of that and we feel that we are a truly public university in a time when many of our peers are raising tuition dramatically. So while I can’t give you a precise number, I can say with confidence that Carolina will be a very affordable option for your daughter.

As far as what to study, students often exhibit a clear aptitude or interest for a certain field when in high school, or even earlier. I decided on chemistry because I had a great high school chemistry teacher who nurtured and encouraged me. But even students with fairly firm interests continue to explore new areas of study once at Chapel Hill – that’s the value and importance of a liberal arts education, which is such a vital part of what makes our country innovative and different from many others.

I got very interested in art history and jazz history in college, and they have both been important in my life. We expect students to be able to make an informed choice of a major – and a career interest area – by the end of their sophomore year. So this gives your daughter 12 years to make a decision!

Recently, UNC System President Erskine Bowles created a commission and held a forum to discuss the potential need for adopting a hate crime policy. I was curious where you sided on this issue and if you thought there was a need to restrict speech on campus. Thanks! – John Eick (UNC Class of 2011), Chapel Hill

I applaud President Bowles and the commission for devoting time and attention to this topic. With UNC Senior Vice President Harold Martin leading the efforts, I know this process will be conducted thoughtfully as the commission decides what to recommend to President Bowles. Harold is a smart, experienced and careful guy, so this process will be handled well.

Adopting a hate crime policy is not the same thing as restricting free speech. According to FBI reporting guidelines, hate crimes are not separate or distinct crimes, but traditional offenses motivated by the offender’s bias – based on race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity or national origin. That means that if someone threatens violence or assaults someone and they are motivated by the victim’s race, religion or some other trait, the act may be a crime, as well as a “hate crime.â€
    If you ain't mad, you ain't payin' attention = Terry Anderson.

Chancellor Holden Thorp:
    At Carolina, we’re proud of our tradition of free speech and vigorous public debate. I think the policies and traditions we have around expression on campus have served us well over the years. We strive to be a place where all viewpoints can be expressed and heard.
    Except at the Tom Tancredo event last night!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Why do you allow illegals (no matter from what country) to attend your colleges? – Michael, Raleigh

Because it’s the policy of the UNC system. Undocumented students are eligible to be considered for admission as undergraduates at all UNC campuses, including UNC-Chapel Hill, based on their individual qualifications. They pay out-of-state tuition rates and, under the policy, may not receive any state or federal financial support.

They also compete as out-of-state students for admission. The process is the same as for North Carolinians, but because there are many more applicants and many fewer spaces, the competition is especially tough. The students who make it through this competition have been chosen based on their strengths as students and as individuals
    So there it is. Illegal aliens taking college seats from American students.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

No, we don’t penalize white males for their race – or for being male, for that matter. We also don’t evaluate students exclusively based on their scores and GPAs. Our admissions committee members read each application, one by one and over and over again, so that they can understand each candidate as fully and as fairly as possible
    Then what the heck do you base it on? Who's successfully completed dronedom?