Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

The FMCSA has been asking for the publics input for about 3(?) years or so now.

When was the last time you saw this issue raised on the major networks? Radio or TV? The vast majority of the general public is still in the dark or just learning about this issue. Imagine their shock when they find out that they were involved in a accident with a Mexican national driving a big truck. The driver jumps out, "No habla." I wonder how many will report to court on their court date? American trucking companies and the American population will pay for the increased insurance premiums. JMHO

By the way the radio show late at night that talks alot about this issue is, "The Trucking Bozo" show. Out of Nashville I believe.

This issue raises vast amounts of questions, and so far very few answers.

Trucking jobs pay decent wages, alot of truckers are from very rural areas, their income helps to support the "red" areas of our country. Back to the garden!

As noted previosuly, it appears the public comment period for this ends tomorrow (7/9), so PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR PUBLIC COMMENTS ASAP.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This President has now gone way beyond the pales of any acceptable behaviour for an Elected Official. A Tactical Yield Nuclear device such as an SS-20 Mirv Warhead (there are some missing from Russian Arsonals) could easley be transported and shielded from Neutron Detectors inside a tractor trailer. So what's to stop a senario like this from taking place? This is insane and must not be allowed to happen under any circumstances
    “In questions of power…let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” –Thomas Jefferson

I just sent in my comment expressing my outrage.

In LA there must be at least two to three big rig accidents every week. Imagine what kind of gridlock we'll have to endure and how many more accidents and lives lost. This is so sickening.

I made a discovery on a trip to San Diego last weekend.

It used to be if you saw a severely overloaded truck and passed it, the nationality of driver was pretty easy to guess.

On the trip last weekend I was almost always wrong.

I guess there is not many jobs anybody isn't willing to do.

I've often said it will be either them that join us in obeying the law or us that join them in the lawlessness.

How else are we going to compete.

The world is getting to be such a dangerous place, a man is lucky to get out of it alive.
    W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by redpony353
    BISMARCK: THINK THEY CAN ONLY DRIVE IN LIKE SEVENTY MILES OR SO....AND THEN THEY HAVE TO DROP THEIR CARGO WITH AMERICAN DRIVERS. SO THERE MUST BE SOME STATISTICS SINCE THEY DO COME INTO THE STATES. BUT VERY LITTLE BECAUSE MOST OF THEIR DRIVING IS IN MEXICO. I DONT KNOW IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO GET MEXICAN STATISTICS. I THINK THAT WOULD BE THE WAY TO GO ABOUT IT. BUT I DONT EVEN KNOW WHERE TO START WITH THAT.
    RP,

Please distinguish between:

[1] Mexican trucking companies & trucks....

[2] Mexican bussing companies & busses

The latter already have access to the USA.
    'Tolerance' just means 'Take it!'
    It's not about conforming your mind to reality — but conforming reality to your mind (your mind over matter, not matter over you).

WHAT I WROTE:

Dear Sir or Ma'am,

I oppose this proposed "pilot program" (to allow 100 Mexican trucking companies access to our highways) in the harshest possible terms. As your own FMCSA docket acknowledges, the current moratorium that denies these Mexican domiciled trucking companies access to our country was imposed in 1982 precisely because of Mexico's refusal to play fair and allow our trucks reciprocal access to its roads. Even today, Mexico flatly denies our trucks ANY access to Mexico, as your own docket acknowledges. And your own docket further acknowledges that you have had to screen Mexican trucking companies for crimes ranging from traffic violations to drug smuggling and hauling hazardous materials.

In short, Mexico has never shown itself to be a respectable and trustworthy trading partner. Thus, I seriously question the willingness and ability of Mexican motor carriers and drivers to adhere to our country's strict safety rules, as well as the administration's actual preparedness and willingness to ensure Mexican truck drivers actually obey our homeland security and immigration rules. The fierce pressure that the President is applying to push forward this "pilot program", despite vociferous opposition from Congress and the American People, is clear and unambiguous proof that this approval process is being driven (even forced) by politics and agendas — rather than a truthful analysis of America's best trading and mercantile interests.

I understand that the FMCSA has broached these safety concerns, as laid out in your docket. However, I must re-emphasize that the safety measures the FMCSA has put in place are only adequate IF Mexican trucking companies are receptive to the need for safety and fair play. And yet, once more, the very reason the laws that the FMCSA is seeking to relax were created in the first place was because of unfair play by Mexico. Further, your own docket acknowledges that Mexico, despite its past transgressions and poor reputation on this very issue of 'reciprocity', has not even come to the bargaining table with a complete plan for reciprocity for our trucking firms. Instead, it is merely "finalizing an application form and procedures for use by interested U.S. motor carriers."

Mexico has by no means assuaged America's just concerns regarding Mexico's willingness to play fair. Until it does, the Bus Regulatory Reform Act of 1982 — passed to deal with these very issues, still unresolved — needs to remain in effect in full and undiminished force.

Thank you very much for allowing me to comment on this important Public issue.

Sincerely,
    'Tolerance' just means 'Take it!'
    It's not about conforming your mind to reality — but conforming reality to your mind (your mind over matter, not matter over you).

Mexican Trucks

I just received this today from Congressman Berman of California.

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about a proposed
    pilot program allowing Mexican trucking companies to operate beyond a
    25-mile zone along the U.S.-Mexico border. I appreciate hearing from
    you on this important issue.

In January, Transportation Secretary Mary Peters announced the
    creation of a new pilot program that would allow more than 100 Mexican
    trucking companies to operate throughout the U.S. I share your concerns
    that Mexican commercial drivers do not have to meet the same safety
    standards as their American counterparts, and questions have been raised
    regarding lax commercial vehicle licensing in Mexico, which may allow
    unsafe drivers on America's roads. Furthermore, I am worried that
    customs and vehicle safety inspectors will be stretched thin by an
    increase in trans-border truck traffic.

I am not convinced by the administration's assurances that these
    concerns will be adequately addressed, and share the view of the
    Transportation Department's Inspector General, which found that the
    federal government is not ready to implement this program. As a result, I
    voted for H.R. 1773, the Safe American Roads Act, legislation
    prohibiting the implementation of this pilot program unless Mexican
    trucking companies seeking to operate throughout the US meet stricter
    safety criteria established by Congress. This bill, which overwhelmingly
    passed the House by a vote of 411-3, would also delay this program until
    Mexican officials allow American trucks to operate within Mexico-a
    condition they have so far been unwilling to implement.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact me about
    this issue. Please keep in touch.

Sincerely,

HOWARD L. BERMAN
    Member of Congress
    <div align="center">" Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore "
    </div>

Dear DOT Customer:

Thank you for contacting the Department of Transportation. Your email has been forwarded to the National Transportation Library Reference Service in the Bureau of Transportation Statistics. This is to acknowledge that we received your email message on Jul 5 2007 3:30PM. Your tracking number for this inquiry is 87988 .

We strive to answer each question we receive by referring you to the web page, publication, or person who can answer your question.

We try to respond within two business days.

Sincerely,

Reference Services
    National Transportation Library
    Bureau of Transportation Statistics
    Research and Innovative Technology Administration
    U.S. Department of Transportation

Above is the automatic response I received about two weeks ago. I sent my email to this address:
    'dot.comments@dot.gov'

Below is the follow-up response. Good luck to anyone who can find a link that will actually hook up with a live person.

Thank you for your questions and comments. You can file a comment on this notice in the US DOT's Document Management System (DMS) web site: http://dms.dot.gov/search/searchResults ... alue=28055

The docket number is FMCSA-2007-28055.

Click on "Comment/Submissions" to file your own comment.

The US DOT issued a press release on the new policy for Mexican and US trucks operating across borders: http://www.dot.gov/affairs/cbtsip/dot2107.htm

On June 8, 2007 a press release was issued about safety standards for the program: http://www.dot.gov/affairs/fmcsa0307.htm

More information (including a direct link to the docket) is available on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration web site at http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulati ... cat=notice

MW
    I want to commend and thank Duncan Hunter for taking the lead on this!

He has our well-being and safety at heart.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast