Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shapka
    Why wouldn't Gingrey and Bilbray vote?
    They were playing safety net. Before it was over, it became mathematically impossible for passage to fail, so they withheld their vote to the end in case someone switched on them.

This is not unusual. It happens all the time in close votes.

Dixie
    Thanks for the explanation. It struck at the time as puzzling, but that makes sense of things.
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

*IF* the twenty not voting all voted NO then the measure would not have passed

And i believe that if at least we would have had all of the 8 rhinos support, along w/ ALL Republicans voting ...the vote would have been split equally ....correct my math if wrong.

The only thing I can think of is that some repubs are SO sure it's dead in the Senate, that they aren't getting all worked up over it.

One can only hope.

Tomorrow a.m. ... my senator will be getting a call. Not that it matters w/ some these traitors ...

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    was the dream act attached to this bill,. cuz what im seeing on Thomas.gov does not give me any indication this is dream act stuff
    On Motion to Concur in Senate Amendments #1 and #2, and in #3 With Amendment -- by using a motion to concur in Senate Amendments they avoided a Motion to Recommit and they avoided allowing any amendments. It was basically a parliamentary manoever. What they did in effect was stuff the Senate Bill version of the Dream Act on to this bill about this whose actualy title is : To amend title 28, United States Code, to clarify and improve certain provisions relating to the removal of litigation against Federal officers or agencies to Federal courts, and for other purposes

But the heart of the bill for the Dream Act and the sneaky parliamentary manoeuver is : On Motion to Concur in Senate Amendments #1 and #2, and in #3 With Amendment

So this is how the trick worked.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    *IF* the twenty not voting all voted NO then the measure would not have passed
    Not necessarily - it would have raised the votes needed to 218. I suspect a lot of members already went home and many departing member may have already left.

Quote Originally Posted by jjmm
    And i believe that if at least we would have had all of the 8 rhinos support, along w/ ALL Republicans voting ...the vote would have been split equally ....correct my math if wrong.

The only thing I can think of is that some repubs are SO sure it's dead in the Senate, that they aren't getting all worked up over it.

One can only hope.

Tomorrow a.m. ... my senator will be getting a call. Not that it matters w/ some these traitors ...
    Well, we would have still lost. If the 8 Republicans who voted for it had voted against it, then the Nays would have been 206 and the Yeas 208, so we would have still lost by 2.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

in regards to the two from texas who did not vote, Granger and Marchant

Ms Granger was SICK
    Mr Marchant was back in texas recovering after minor heart surgery six weeks ago and doctor said no traveling

Bilbray had family matters in CALI to attend too.
    Gingrey was "detained" according to his staffer who would not give any more info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12