Enclosed is a recent story from my blog:

66 PERCENT OF THE COCAINE AND METHAMPHETAMINES IN THE UNITED STATES ARE SMUGGLED THROUGH THE MEXICAN BORDER

Dear Isabella,

Enclosed are my thoughts of the day concerning the enormous amounts of drugs that get smuggled across the Mexican border each year. I am putting these thoughts down for others to read in hopes that you will grow up in a better and safer place. I sincerely hope that this log will not only enable others to become familiar with how dire the situation is, but will also motivate them to press our politician to do a better job at securing our borders.

Your loving father,

Shawn

One thing that has always puzzled me is why our politicians don’t seem to care about the destructive effects that cocaine and methamphetamines (or “speed”) have on the wellbeing of our country’s children. It seems that the “drug war” has been ongoing for my entire life. But instead to securing the Mexican border to limit the availability of such drugs in our country, our government finds seemingly more complicated ways of waging this war (such as conducting covert and other military missions inside Mexico and Columbia). For some reason, the efficiency of this military option (as compared to just securing our border) never really made sense to me.

It has been reported that 66 percent of the cocaine (and equal amounts of the speed) used in the United States is smuggled through the Mexican border through various means. There are many sources on the web that detail the specifics. One source (namely Wikipedia), which summarizes various DEA figures, asserts:

Drug statistics estimate that twenty-three metric tons of cocaine is smuggled into the U.S. annually, two-thirds of which enter across the U.S./Mexican border. Mexican black-tar heroin, which is produced in Mexico and smuggled into the U.S. predominantly by Mexican nationals is the most frequently consumed heroin in the western and Midwestern U.S. The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) estimates that 80% of the methamphetamine in the U.S. is either manufactured in Mexico or is manufactured in the U.S. by Mexican national drug traffickers operating under the direction of Mexican drug kingpins. These illicit drug sales in the U.S. have resulted in a boom of revenues for Mexico. In fact, after petroleum revenues, the second biggest revenue source for Mexico comes from illegal alien Mexican nationals sending money into Mexico from the U.S., and a significant part of those monies are illicit drug proceeds.

Based on the percentage of drugs coming across the Mexican border, I just don’t understand why our politicians haven’t done a better job securing our borders. The impact that these drugs have on our children can be devastating and ignoring this seems unforgivable. It is quite frankly disgraceful.

I do have a theory on this matter, which I label the “Enron Affliction.” The gist of this theory is that corrupt politicians have made the decision to put our economy’s growth before the wellbeing of our children -- even if it means ignoring fraudulent accounting and tax practices.

Right now, it is estimated that around 11 million illegal immigrants work in the United States. It is further estimated that at least 50 percent of such workers are paid “under the table.” That is roughly 5.5 million people that are illegally being paid under the table at great savings to the U.S. businesses employing such services.

To me this raises several “logistical” questions regarding the conduct of these U.S. businesses and their owners. For example, how do these businesses “account” for such expenses in order to reconcile their books? What type of criminal fraud is involved, and why is this issue never discussed in the media?

Furthermore, businesses are legally required to withhold income taxes and FICA on wages paid to their employees. Such businesses are also required to pay their matching share of FICA to the government. Based on this, I wonder how these legal requirements are dealt with (or avoided) by the various U.S. businesses paying these workers under the table. Not paying the FICA taxes would result in significant savings to these businesses and promote their bottom lines, but such acts could be construed as felony tax evasion. Again, I wonder why this issue has not been investigated by our media?

Based on these questions, and the current savings that businesses enjoy by illegally paying cheap workers under the table [e.g., reduced wages, taxes, and health insurance], it is my “feeling” that our politicians have adopted a policy of ignoring illegal immigration and fraudulent accounting and tax practices in order to promote our economy. To maintain this policy, it has become impractical for such politicians to secure our borders, as doing such would reduce the availability of cheap labor. In the end, our government has adopted this avenue of maintaining a strong and vibrant economy and has turned its back on the wellbeing our children by effectively permitting drugs to flow across our border.

Given this in action by our government (no matter the reason), I have taken the following action (and call for others to do so as they deem appropriate). From this day forward, I am officially boycotting products of U.S. companies that are manufactured in Mexico.

I know this doesn’t “directly” impact those that are violating the laws mentioned above. However, if enough people boycott such products, it is my hope that such companies will push their lobbyist to fight for securing our borders. Through such lobbyist, it might be possible for our politicians to learn to care about our children once again. The key is that we have strength in numbers. So if enough of us let our senators know that we will not buy “X” products until this situation is addressed (no matter how remote such products are to the situation) companies with much more influence than the average person will need to get involved or face losing revenues. [Basically, I am attempting get others with deeper pockets to help influence our government.]

SO PLEASE JOIN ME AND LET YOUR LOCAL POLITICIANS KNOW THAT YOU ARE OFFICIALLY BOYCOTTING PRODUCTS OF U.S. COMPANIES THAT ARE MANUFACTURED IN MEXICO UNTIL OUR BORDER IS SECURED. AS AN ALTERNATIVE, PLEASE EMAIL YOU LOCAL POLITICIANS THIS BLOG AND EXPRESS YOUR CONCERN.

http://adiarytomydaughterisabella.blogspot.com/