Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ACLU challenges SoCal city's law targeting illegal immigrati

sociated Press

SAN DIEGO - The American Civil Liberties Union and other groups sued the city of Escondido Friday in an effort to overturn a new law that punishes landlords for renting to illegal immigrants.

The lawsuit, filed in San Diego federal court, says the ordinance violates federal and state laws and puts landlords in an "impossible position" of enforcing immigration laws. It asks the court to prevent the ordinance from taking effect Nov. 18 in the city of 140,000 people, north of San Diego.

A 3-2 City Council majority voted last month to require landlords to submit documentation of their tenants' immigration status to the city, which would then verify that information with the federal government.

If tenants are found to be illegal immigrants, landlords would be given 10 days to evict them or face suspension of their business license. Repeat offenders could face misdemeanor charges and fines.

"The ordinance will have, and has already had, the effect of inducing landlords to deny housing to persons on the basis of race or national origin," the lawsuit states. "The ordinance is riddled with constitutional flaws and ignores the subtleties, complexities and primacy of federal immigration law."

Escondido City Attorney Jeffrey Epp said the complaint did not surprise him. He declined to comment on its merits but said the city will respond in court papers.

The suit was filed on behalf of two Escondido landlords and two women who live in the country illegally but whose children are U.S. citizens and attend school in the city. They are also represented by the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund.

Scrutiny of immigration policy has led to similar proposals around the nation. On Tuesday, a federal judge blocked the city of Hazleton, Pa., from enforcing a measure would have required tenants to register with City Hall and pay for a rental permit.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... tes/califo
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Escondido, has really been in the news for the last few days. Tonight they had a bunch from the "You Don't Speal For Us, Legal hispanic group along with some Minutemen, protesting the ACLU challange to the new city ordinances.

I saw that on the news today nitty. Brian Bilbray was there also. I'm proud of those people for speaking out as they are. Not finding much on the internet news but this is San Diego, a sanctuary city.

Here's a small article I found on it:
    http://www.kfmb.com/stories/story.68975.html

Hispanic San Diegans Against Illegal Immigration

Last Updated:
    11-03-06 at 5:35PM

Hispanic Americans against illegal immigration have formed a new political organization, and they opened a chapter in San Diego Friday.

There was screaming and pushing at the press conference to announce the new organization, after an opponent tried to crash the party.

The group is called You Don’t Speak For Me, and was formed by Hispanic Americans who feel others are giving the impression that all Hispanics support amnesty and illegal immigration.

“They are saying they represent all Hispanics in the U.S. -- we are all Hispanics and they don't speak for us. We are against illegal immigration, they are illegal,” You Don’t Speak For Me! Chairwoman Claudia Spencer said.

Police were called, but no arrests were made.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

You are right jean, I forgot he was there, I sure hope this guy wins out there.The You Don't Speak for Us group being there was an added kick, let the pro-illegals accuse them of being racist!

JAK
    I really like Bilbray...and I was happy that hispanic group spoke out!

They were great! (I saw that on the news also!)
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)