Against health plan
Don Reader
Created: 08/27/2009 08:21:36 PM PDT

I am writing this letter to oppose the government-sponsored health plan.

There are supposedly 46 million uninsured in the U.S. This breaks down as follows: About 20 million of those are uninsured because they don't wish to purchase insurance; these are the "immortals" who are usually young people who don't visit the doctor and won't go until they get sick. There are 6 million people who are uninsured who are in their late 50s to 64 who don't want to buy insurance because they are waiting on Medicare. There are about 8 million who are uninsured and eligible for Medicaid, but haven't signed up because they don't know the laws or can't get to the SS office. Lastly, there are 12 million illegals, noncitizens, who would benefit from the program by getting free insurance paid for by U.S. taxpayers.

We can't afford it! I have looked over the provisions of the government plan and the numbers don't add up. The government plan would cost $1 trillion. President Obama talks about cost savings, but there isn't enough of that available. The cost of the plan would have to come from additional payroll Medicare taxes, payroll withholding, taxes on insurance companies (which would make them raise their premiums) and even increases in senior contributions to Medicare premiums for Part B and Part D.

In addition to taxes on the public, working people and senior citizens, the government plan would have to take an additional $300 billion to $500 billion from Medicare itself which is currently underfunded to the tune of $37 trillion in the next 10 years.

What should we do? Congressman David Dreier has some positive suggestions regarding purchasing private insurance across state lines and more choice in types of plans. He also encourages some tax relief for families who purchase insurance instead of additional taxes on the plans.

I believe that we need real tort reform so that doctors can reduce their fees and not run unnecessary tests. We can continue to improve and approve brand name drugs early and give more access to generic drugs. We can continue to improve private plans that are consumer friendly.

Don't forget, in a recent poll 85 percent of insured people like their health care. That's a pretty good consensus.

DON READER
Upland

http://www.dailybulletin.com/ci_1322006 ... st_emailed