Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Ala.Rep. Gubernatorial candidate Moore: tighten immigration

Moore says tighten immigration
    Thursday, December 01, 2005
    WILLIAM THORNTON
    News staff writer
    Republican gubernatorial candidate Roy Moore said Wednesday that President Bush's recent policy stance on immigration shows he is "waking up" to a growing problem.

"It shows the states do matter, because that's who's been leading on this issue," he said. "It's time we closed our borders.

The former Alabama chief justice, who announced his candidacy in October, said he is for legal immigration, but maintains that illegal immigrants sap the nation's economic strength.

Moore had a busy day, speaking to the Leeds Rotary Club, a group at the University of Alabama and a group at a Northport church. Before a lunchtime crowd of about 30 in Leeds, Moore restated several policy positions on taxation and legislative reform as he vies for next year's Republican nomination.

Immigration was one issue Moore touched on during a 20-minute address. He is calling for legislation to impose fines and penalties on employers of illegal immigrants. Bush on Tuesday called for tighter borders with an increase in border patrol agents and a guest worker program granting limited work rights for illegal immigrants.

Moore said employers who rely on illegal immigrants are costing Alabama taxpayers in liability issues. He also blasted policies that allow immigrants to take the driver license examination in languages other than English.

"If you can't read the language on the test, then you can't read the signs on the streets," he said. "That's just common sense."

E-mail: wthornton@bhamnews.com
    http://www.russanddeeonline.com/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Surely

Moore is not stupid enough to believe that Bush is going to do anything!

I don't believe anything from Bush anymore!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

Re: Surely

Quote Originally Posted by ohflyingone
    Moore is not stupid enough to believe that Bush is going to do anything!

I don't believe anything from Bush anymore!
    I now trust Bush about as far as I can throw Texas.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)