Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ALERT Following the oppositions next move

I know we are all busy doing work for W however I feel I need to post this right away. This is from the Chicago Tribune.
    They are brainstorming in Chicago.

"Advocates for illegal immigrants suggest a trade-off for legalization
    They press politically risky plan to Barack Obama, Congress
    By Peter Wallsten | Washington Bureau "
    March 27, 2009
    WASHINGTON — "With their prospects in Congress sinking along with the economy, liberal advocates of giving undocumented immigrants a path to citizenship are launching a risky strategy to push lawmakers and the White House to take up their cause.

They propose that Congress legalize millions of undocumented workers now in exchange for reducing the number of temporary foreign workers allowed to enter the U.S. in the future. It is a calculation that could win a new and powerful ally—organized labor—but risks alienating businesses that rely on temporary workers as well as key Republicans such as Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.).

With unemployment on the rise, the Immigration debate has moved to the back burner as lawmakers fear enacting a law that could be seen as benefiting immigrants at the expense of struggling American workers.

Advocates believe that winning support from the AFL-CIO, which opposed previous legalization plans, will help gain support from House Democrats and increase leverage with the White House.

"Last time the coalition was not quite as solid as we would have hoped," said Ali Noorani, director of the National Immigration Forum, one of the advocacy groups negotiating with labor leaders over the strategy.

Ana Avendano, the AFL-CIO's point person on the issue, said the labor federation believes the economic woes and Democrats' enhanced power in Washington represents a sea change in which liberal groups can forge ahead without working with Republican-leaning business lobbyists.

President Barack Obama told members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus last week that he would deliver a public statement of support this spring for a legalization plan. But White House officials have not committed to the new idea on temporary worker limits, nor have they signed off on pushing the legislation this year, as advocates have been hoping.

Obama reiterated his support for legalization last week during a stop in Los Angeles, but advocates are growing anxious he might prefer to delay what shapes up as a politically charged fight. Immigration advocates have already raised concerns that the Obama administration has not called off workplace raids.

Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.) said he and other caucus members leaned on Obama to act fast—pointing out he has managed to find time to satisfy other constituencies on issues not directly related to the economic meltdown.

"We're saying, 'OK, you took time out for stem-cell research and you're taking time out for health care,' " Gutierrez said. "And our communities expect you to take time out for our issues." Failure on the issue this year could be harmful to Democrats' hopes of building on their Latino support, and some close to the White House said in interviews that the administration might prefer to wait until 2011."

pwallsten@tribune.com

This looks like the same story that was posted previously here:

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-151423.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ELE

America is for Americans

I think this is a duplicate post as I recall reading this earlier. The trade off is unacceptable. America is in the midst of a dpression, illegals and foreign workers must stay in their countries-of-origin so that more American people have jobs. And our tax dollars are spent to help us and not people that have no right to be in our country.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

People try not to double post but many of us work and can't watch wha is posted throughout the day. I do the search option and it does not always pick up the article unless I use the right words.
    I come here for the information and if someone has seen the article twice most of us are seeing it for the first time.
    I quit posting because everytime I do someone gets upset and calls it a double post. We do the best we can for the limited time that we have.

Paige
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

I think one day I had three or four duplicate posts! It may be a new ALIPAC record!
    And right, Paige. I have used the search criteria, but it seems that unless the keyword is in the headline, it may not be picked up.

ELE

We have bigger things to worry about than double posts smile

It's no big deal to me if someone posts something that's already been posted. I figure that the person posting must have felt the need to post the article and so it just puts a little more emphasis on the subject presented. smile

The above article is not a duplicate although it is related and very similar.

Our search feature can be tricky and no matter how careful we are we all do them sooner or later. If anyone is interested this is what I do.

Under the Search Query section (use the one at the top of the forum but not the one in the left column),
    Search for Keywords:
    Type in your word to search and leave 'Search for any terms or use query as entered' checked.
    or
    Type in two words and check the box 'Search for all terms.'

I've found the Search for Author feature useless (however can put the author’s name in ‘Search for all terms.’

Under Search Options:
    Forum - choose one or leave as 'all available,' up to you. I generally use ‘all available.’
    Then across from there under 'Search previous:' I usually change to 7 days because it's usually a current article. I also leave the box checked 'Search topic title and message text.'

Note: I never use a word from the title as different sources often make up their own title to the identically same article.

That is all I usually do and have found it works quite well. Sometimes to double check I'll pick a couple more words to search for.

Hope this helps!
    Jean
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn