Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

FYI:

Good and bad news for McCain in Winthrop poll
    Saturday, October 25, 2008

..."In the U.S. Senate race in which loyal McCain supporter Lindsey Graham is being challenged by little-known Democrat Bob Conley, Graham holds a big lead at 32 percent to 10. BUT, 47 percent of likely voters say they are undecided. That’s a big number this close to Election Day, and a source of worry for Graham. If new voters show up en masse, the race could be much closer than the poll indicates."

http://www.timesanddemocrat.com/article ... 067534.txt
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Populist
    FYI:

Good and bad news for McCain in Winthrop poll
    Saturday, October 25, 2008

..."In the U.S. Senate race in which loyal McCain supporter Lindsey Graham is being challenged by little-known Democrat Bob Conley, Graham holds a big lead at 32 percent to 10. BUT, 47 percent of likely voters say they are undecided. That’s a big number this close to Election Day, and a source of worry for Graham. If new voters show up en masse, the race could be much closer than the poll indicates."

http://www.timesanddemocrat.com/article ... 067534.txt

Thanks for sharing this info Populist, but these numbers are insane. It is incredible that Senator Graham would only have a support level at 32%. Everyone in the state should know that guy and if they support him or not.

These numbers sound pretty crazy. Forty percent undecided?

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

47% undecided? That's odd this late in the game.

Lindsey probably voted for the bailout bill too and people are spitting nails over that issue.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Great ad! I hope it sends him packing! I'm sending my $$ so you can spread the word around SC.
    BTW, I tried to leave a comment for this video & also the one you have showing Graham's full comments, but for some reason, they wouldn't post! I wonder why?

Yes, regarding the poll quoted above, I agree that almost 47% undecided at this late stage does seem odd. I've never heard of this polling outfit before, and it also doesn't look like RCP includes these poll results in their listings & averages. But I still hope there are enough undecideds to pull an upset...

Here's another article that briefly discusses this poll, and quotes the professor who directed the poll:

Thursday, Oct. 23, 2008
    Undecideds to decide Graham, Conley race
    Roddie Burris - McClatchy Newspapers
    Whom do you plan to vote for in South Carolina's U.S. Senate race? Graham? Conley?

If you're like nearly half the 617 likely S.C. voters questioned in a Winthrop/ETV poll released Thursday, you don't know.

U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham of Seneca is seeking re-election to a second term. These days, Graham is known as a confidant of Republican presidential candidate John McCain. Previously, he won notice for his role in the impeachment proceedings against then-President Clinton.

Democrat Bob Conley of Myrtle Beach, a former Republican, is Graham's little-known challenger. Given a choice between the two, likely S.C. voters said they preferred Graham by 31.8 percent to 9.8 percent. Undecided, however, came in first at 46.6 percent.

Other polls consistently have shown the well-funded Graham with more than $4 million easily will defeat Conley, whose campaign is almost penniless.

Part of the problem may have been that the candidates' first names and parties were not included in the poll's questions, possibly leaving some voters unsure of the party affiliation.

Scott Huffmon, the Winthrop University professor who directed the poll, said the party-less methodology allowed him to measure voters' ``raw support'' for the candidates without labels.

S.C. voters aren't alone in their undecided-ness, the poll found.

Likely voters in North Carolina weren't sure who they wanted to send to the U.S. Senate next year to represent them either, according to the poll.

There, Elizabeth Dole, R-N.C., is running for her second Senate term. Her challenger, 55-year-old Democrat Kay Hagen, is a former state senator. Dole was preferred by 29.9 while 25.3 percent preferred Hagan, and 37.4 percent were undecided.

Almost 40 percent of N.C. voters in the poll said they were undecided.

Former Virginia Gov. Mark Warner was the only candidate who polled higher than undecided in his U.S. Senate bid. It was close, however.

Warner: 40.4 percent. Undecided: 32.6 percent. The GOP candidate, former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore, was at 18.2 percent.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/politi ... 41984.html

Link to polling firm:

http://www.winthrop.edu/sbrl/winthroppoll/default.htm

Ah, I understand their methods better now. Very interesting idea to strip away the fluff that will vote this way or that but cannot name either of the two candidates.

W

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12