Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Where is some of that information coming from?? Income?? Children in household?? Education??

Interesting data, but where was it compiled from??

These are good questions folks.

How are they making these estimates and where did they get all this supposed data?

My best guess is that our ISPs might be sharing data with marketers?

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quantcast has partnerships with large ISP's (Comcast, etc.) and access to the ISP logfiles, as well as client information gathered by the ISP's and from other external databases (demographic data by zip code). That's how their can tell the gender, education level and income of web site visitors.

In both cases, the reported traffic statistics have an additional significant bias: traffic from sophisticated anonymous robots is not filtered out. This traffic introduces a bias in number of users, number of page views, pages per user per month and visit duration, and even in the top keywords associated with a particular domain.
    http://www.analyticbridge.com/group/web ... -quantcast

----

Quantcast's answer to these questions sounds very vague and evasive to me. They hint at using over ten million "web destinations" whatever that means....

A basic behavioral/demo question for you: In that user data is anonymized, how does Quantcast, or any behavioral firm for that matter, truly know that a user is a woman, for example?

The answer to the question is that no targeting solution "knows for sure" that a specific person has a particular attribute. Our approach is based not on targeting individuals, but rather, helping ad sellers and buyers transact groups of people that have above average propensity to align to a certain set of characteristics. There will always be some people in that group – for a whole host of reasons – who don't conform perfectly to the target, or at all. Our goal is to minimize waste as much as possible and enable delivery of enriched audiences that perform for our clients

The reason we're confident about our approach is because our programs have very broad participation. Over 10 million web destinations participate in our program, and collectively those organizations engage every US Internet user many hundreds of times each month. This provides the visibility necessary to construct accurate fine-grained models of virtually any audience.

http://www.adexchanger.com/ad-exchange- ... a-program/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thanks for the links cclarkkent and William, but I'm not sure I buy the explanation or statistics. The page itself has the disclaimer “Site not quantified. Data is estimated.â€
    I would never be so arrogant as to move to another country and expect them to change for me.

Quote Originally Posted by April
    In the the Demographic data it notes "There are more Hispanic visitors here than average."
    There are many good Hispanic Americans who are fighting against illegal immigration!
    I have two Hispanic men on my staff who feel just the same way I do about illegal immigrants. They also don't claim to be Mexican and instead are proud of their heritage of being born and raised in America. I think there are many more Hispanics who feel the same way. We just don't hear as much from them as we do the loud mouth minority.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiWatcher2
    I don’t understand how they can have the data for this site. Most don’t even put in their real name, much less the other data that they list.
    I agree with you, in fact after reading their statistics I would venture an opinion that they are lying. There is no way they can get this data from my computer and I doubt most others unless you have all of this data stored smewhere on your hard drive and they have found a way to hack into it.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

THEY ARE LYING!!!! AND IF THEY KNOW AND SHARE PERSONAL INFO ABOUT ME THAT I DIDN'T EVEN PROVIDE WELL THEN THAT IS A VIOLATION OF MY PRIVACY!!! WHAT THE HELL ELSE ARE THEY STEALING AND SHARING ABOUT ME AND WHO THE HELL ARE THEY ALSO SHARING IT WITH?! THIS REALLY BOTHERS ME!!!!

ANYBODY ELSE CARE ABOUT YOUR IDENTITY?
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

According to them I'm an addict!

Wow, I didnt expect this response. I actually sent a copy of this site to management and the response to me was " The Quancast numbers are estimates and we put very little stock in their accuracy"

Sorry for not responding sooner, but I am currently working overseas at the moment, since I cant find a job in my own country "America" due to the piss poor management of the economy!

I received a very good responce in that yes, many Hispanic Americans, join this site, not as spies or anything else, but, because they are as concerned as most other Americans are about illegal immigration.

I had to take 2 steps back and think about this:

I think many hispanic Americans, who are legal Americans, speak English, pay their taxes and make a living 9-5 like most legal people do, so they want immigration control and control of this problem, just as much as everyone else. I lived with an Hispanic family for some time and they are just as upset and angered about this problem as much as anyone. I would actually even go to the point say embarrassed.

I also advise everyone to go and read their End User License Agreement (EULA) that each provider has you sign. As far as data is concerned and data collection, many of them can harvest this data as long as the end user is not identified by NAME and IP address. Its all part of demographics and marketing with some types of accurate date. The data on the site, probally is somewhat accurate. They use that data to market themselves to other companies, so that advertisements that you see pop up on your computer or side bar are "tailored" to the end user surfing the internet.

OK, thats my 2 Kopects as they say here in Baku.

Matthew
    America <div>Home of the free</div><div>Home of the brave</div><div>Home of 20 million illegal*alien villagers*and counting!*</div>

I'm a proud American of Hispanic descent and I'm against illegal immigration. I wouldn't be surprised if there are pro-illegal Hispanics lurking this site though. There are many American Hispanics are against illegal immigration because they too have suffered as a result of illegal immigration and they respect the law. Many American Hispanics in various states have had their identities stolen by illegals. Some have victims of violent crimes committed by illegals.
    ProEnglish:The English Language Advocates
    http://www.proenglish.org/

Quote Originally Posted by browneyes106
    I'm a proud American of Hispanic descent and I'm against illegal immigration. I wouldn't be surprised if there are pro-illegal Hispanics lurking this site though. There are many American Hispanics are against illegal immigration because they too have suffered as a result of illegal immigration and they respect the law. Many American Hispanics in various states have had their identities stolen by illegals. Some have victims of violent crimes committed by illegals.

"Keep your friends close, but your enemy's closer!" Kind of a corny God Father quote, but it still rings true.
    America <div>Home of the free</div><div>Home of the brave</div><div>Home of 20 million illegal*alien villagers*and counting!*</div>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast