Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

"Americas 2020" Summit planned; NOT GOOD!

Summit to put new focus on border issues
    By Eliot Shapleigh / Guest columnist
    Article Launched: 12/14/2007 12:00:00 AM MST

Today, our border is a national issue. As policies are crafted in Austin and Washington, D.C., our vibrant, binational region must speak with a firm, confident and united voice on fast, secure and smart movement of people and products. The massive and increasing congestion at U.S.-Mexico and Canadian ports of entry not only threatens the local economies of the border region, but also affects trade throughout the U.S.
    We on the border have the knowledge and expertise to make the border work. So, next spring, we will host an "Americas 2020" secure trade summit in Austin to ensure our priorities are heard. This summit will include a coalition of key organizations that will build on past work and successes.

In El Paso, those successes have included creating the International Transportation Research Center at the Texas Transportation Institute, launching the Camino Real Regional Mobility Authority (CRRMA), and piloting a FHWA demonstration project to roll out cutting-edge solutions to international trade.

When 85 percent of U.S.-Mexico trade is carried through Texas and the state's trade with Mexico is greater than all the trade it conducts with the European Union, federal and state officials must do more to listen to border communities and act with courage on border issues.

As chair of the Border Legislative Conference (BLC), an organization of legislators from the 10 U.S.-Mexico border states, I have had the opportunity to meet with community leaders along both the
    northern and southern borders. Last week in Canada, I met with British Columbia officials and the Pacific NorthWest Economic Region. In Texas, I met with the Texas Border Coalition and Border Trade Alliance. From Vancouver to Brownsville, we have common challenges and goals -- a fast, secure, and smart border.
    By working together on a shared vision, we will make a positive impact on our future. Our job as lawmakers and business leaders is to create secure and prosperous economic opportunity for millions, not react to the racism of a few. To date, the post-9/11 debate has focused too much on fences and the exclusion of undocumented people, and too little on creating rational policies.

In Texas, our priority is getting our enhanced driver's license program up and running. Last session, we passed S.B. 2027 to make secure, fast crossing work for all who live and work in our region. With federal passport requirements coming, other states, including Washington and Arizona, are weeks away from offering enhanced driver's licenses. Today, in Texas, six months after passage, our enhanced license program still sits on the governor's desk.

Other shared goals include increased port-of-entry staffing, accelerated bridge construction, one-stop inspection stations, integrated technology and infrastructure, ISO 25,000 secured manufacturing tax credits, and a comprehensive "Fair Migration Act of 2009."

Now is the time to recognize that a unique, vibrant binational economy is operating on the border.

Together, we will make "Americas 2020" in Austin a success, so that we can begin to shape national policy in this election season.

State Sen. Eliot Shapleigh represents District 29.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/opinion/ci_7713524

Banned
    As chair of the Border Legislative Conference (BLC), an organization of legislators from the 10 U.S.-Mexico border states...
    Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California....

Am I missing something here, or is he talking about the 'Aztlan' states???

Immigration is a federal issue because it affects the whole nation. The BLC would do well to remember that the border issues are now affecting states that are not on the border. Many of us do not see the grand benefits to illegal immigration at least, that a business in Texas may see.

An interesting point. As an aside, I was reading a few days ago and came across an article on the Zimmerrman Telegram. The third point on why Mexico refused was the part I found interesting. If you don't know what the Zimmerman Telegram is, look it up, its rather interesting in current context.

"Even if Mexico had the military means to re-take the territory she would have had severe difficulty accommodating and/or pacifying the large English-speaking population."

Quote Originally Posted by PinestrawGuys
    As chair of the Border Legislative Conference (BLC), an organization of legislators from the 10 U.S.-Mexico border states...

It is amazing, that no matter what the American people want, all of these organizations disguised as problem solvers, are acting as if illegals staying and continuing to come here is a done deal.

It is disturbing to me, that we don't count. We need to show up at some of these meetings in numbers and get some coverage from the media that we want the effort spent on STOPPING ILLEGALS, not helping to increase the problem.

I am tired of hearing about ways to trade with them, accomodate them, protect their rights, and more BS.

Let them trade with us on their terms. I don't need a darn thing from Mexico..NOTHING.
    I'm "Dot" and I am LEGAL!

Quote Originally Posted by PinestrawGuys

I assume he is talking about the Mexican States also.
    "Democrats Fall in Love, Republicans Fall in Line!"

Ex-El Presidente' www.jorgeboosh.com

California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas are AMERICAN territory, and to HELL with ANY Aztlan plan! I am an AMERICAN! And may I do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to REMAIN an American! Even if it may mean DEATH!