Whether we like it or not, it is not likely that any solution will include sending illegal immigrants home who are already here--especially if they are employed. That being said, I'd like to see the following reasonable actions taken. Each one must be firmly established before the next can be taken on:
1. Secure the borders and ports
2. Penalize those who knowingly hire anyone here illegally
3. Then, have the discussion on what to do with those who are here. This should include (1) some kind of work permit that does not lead to citizenship; (2) the removal of automatic citizenship for babies born in the US.
4. I have not heard anyone mention this before, but I would like to see any money sent to Mexico from the US to be in the form of creating businesses that will provide jobs so people can stay in their own country. If one does not have money to live--that will cause anyone to do whatever is necessary to take care of themselves and family. No one would disagree with that, I'm sure. Mexico should be coerced to create more jobs for its people. Does anyone know if the US gives Mexico money? We give it to every other third world country, so I imagine we do.