Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Another email to me from Ky. Rep. Davis

Thank you for contacting me about immigration issues. I appreciate the opportunity to share my perspective given recent actions by Congress.

In September 2006, the House passed four bills, which I co-sponsored, aimed at securing our borders and curbing illegal immigration:

The Secure Fence Act of 2006 (H.R. 6061) authorizes a 700-mile barrier along vulnerable areas of our border with Mexico. This bill passed the House by a vote of 283-138 on September 14, 2006. It passed the Senate on September 29, 2006 by a vote of 80-19.

The Border Tunnel Prevention Act of 2006 (H.R. 4830) enacts criminal penalties of up to 20 years' imprisonment for individuals who knowingly construct or finance the construction of an unauthorized tunnel across a U.S. international border. This bill passed the House by a vote of 422-0.

The Community Protection Act of 2006 (H.R. 6094) allows the Department of Homeland Security to detain dangerous aliens beyond six months that cannot be deported for various reasons. This bill passed the House by a vote of 225-195.

The Immigration Law Enforcement Act of 2006 (H.R. 6095) reaffirms the inherent authority of State and local law enforcement to voluntarily investigate, identify, apprehend, arrest, detain, and transfer to federal custody aliens in the U.S. in order to assist in the enforcement of the immigration laws. This bill passed the House by a vote of 277-140.

In addition, I am proud to report that the House and Senate have approved the conference report for the Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act for FY2007. President George W. Bush signed this important legislation on October 4, 2006. The bill provides $21.3 billion for border protection and the enforcement of our immigration laws. Highlights include funds to: add 1,500 new border patrol agents; construct additional border fencing; increase, to seventy-five, the number of fugitive teams; add 6,700 new detention beds; transport and remove illegal aliens; and improve immigration verification systems.

I remain strongly opposed to the Senate's major immigration reform legislation because it includes provisions granting amnesty and makes security a compliment to that program. This legislation would allow most of the illegal immigrants to stay, work and ultimately earn U.S. citizenship. With all due respect to the Senate, we send the wrong message by granting amnesty to illegal immigrants. Any immigration reforms must focus first and foremost on security and strengthening our borders.

While strongly opposing this Senate action, I am proud to support the House's major legislation that will secure our borders and control illegal immigration without amnesty. This is the Border Protection, Antiterrorism and Illegal Immigration Control Act (H.R. 4437). This bill passed the House by a vote of 239 - 182 on December 16, 2005. This legislation will require the Department of Homeland Security to conduct a comprehensive risk assessment of all ports of entry and enhance surveillance along the U.S. - Mexican border while re-establishing respect for immigration laws. The Act proves that we can continue supporting legal immigration and secure our borders.

As a member of the Immigration Reform Caucus, I was a strong supporter of Congressman Virgil Goode's amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2007. His amendment, which passed the House of Representatives, authorizes the Secretary of Defense to assign members of the armed forces to assist in border protection. I commend President Bush for his decision to deploy National Guard troops to our southwest border.

In addition, I am co-sponsoring an important piece of legislation, the TRUE Enforcement and Border Security Act. This bill provides for a border fence along our entire southern border with Mexico, modeled after the highly successful San Diego border fence. This bill also:

Denies birthright citizenship to children born to illegal immigrants;

Fights abuse of the system by stopping illegal immigrants from collecting Social Security;

Stops employer tax deductions for wages paid to illegal immigrants.

Our desire to continue offering the American dream to immigrants seeking a better life must not outweigh the need to secure our borders against terrorists, drug smugglers and human traffickers.

Related to the issue of illegal immigration is our national policy regarding the status of the English language and related government policies, laws and regulations. I am proud to be the cosponsor of two bills which will make English our national language. The English Unity Act (H.R. 997) declares English to be the official language of the United States. The National Language Act of 2005 (H.R. 440 makes English the language of the U.S. government, including the ballot box.

Throughout our history as a nation, the English language has been and must continue to be one of the most important factors that unite us as a people.

Thanks again for contacting me about an issue of great concern to both of us. Please feel free to call me about this or any other matter. You can sign-up to receive the Fourth District E-Mail Newsletter at my website by visiting http://geoffdavis.house.gov/EmailSignup.aspx.

Sincerely,

Geoff Davis

Member of Congress
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

Did you get your yard signs yet? Will you be helping him in your neighborhood. I don't think there's much doubt he'll be our endorsed candidate. His candidate survey is in and I'll get it posted soon.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I live in okla, send me one and I will even put it out for him.
    Build the dam fence post haste!

We can't all help a local candidate. Some are no good. Instead, send dollars to a tough anti-illegal immigration tirebiter somewhere else to help them get elected. It still helps save the country and is not wasted money.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Today I sent out emails to friends and family, told them to forward it...to not vote for a Party, but to vote to secure our borders and for American workers!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!