Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Another pathetic slap to Veterans

Thieves Steal $65,000 Worth of Bronze Plaques From War Memorial

Published January 17, 2011

Authorities say a thief stole eight bronze plaques -- totaling $65,000 -- from a foreign war memorial, making off with the only official list of all the deceased veterans who belonged to the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6919 in Morningside, Md.

"It’s heartbreaking to have this happen to us," Post Commander James Holland told MyFoxDC.com.

Three of the plaques bore the faces and names of the soldiers for whom the Post was named, the station reports. Five other plaques, weighing about 120 pounds each, listed the names of the deceased veterans who belonged to the Post. The list reportedly dated back to World War I.

"It’s not about the money," said Post Quartermaster Thomas Pappas. "We want to recover the names. There are about 500 names or so that’s missing."

Holland told the station that he hopes scrap yards will recognize the plaques and refuse to buy them. He is calling for the thieves to return them or contact the Post to tell him where they can be located.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/17/th ... z1BL24fPCI

I saw this on the news tonight. They have no other copy of the names and so can not replace the plaques.

There was an interview from someone at a scrap yard. A guy in a white van tried to sell the plaques but when asked for ID, the man left.

Banned
    I hope they get these plaques back soon. I will be praying that they do. Our wonderful veterans deserve our utmost respect and this thief will get his.