Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Anti-Sanctuary-City amendment Alert from NumbersUSA

Date: Monday 15oct07 8:30 p.m. EDT

http://www.numbersusa.com

Anti-Sanctuary-City amendment vote in Senate as early as Tuesday -- Phone early

DEAR OPPONENTS OF ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION,

You have a chance to help pass an amendment Tuesday that would effectively end the outlaw "sanctuary city" movement.

You have to start phoning first thing Tuesday morning and ask your Senators to vote FOR Sen. Vitter's anti-sanctuary amendment to the H.R. 3093 appropriations bill. This is known as the "CJS spending bill" (commerce, justice and science).

Phone 202-224-3121

See phone talking points below.

We will send you an email and post results on our website when your phone calls are no longer needed.

The amendment by Sen. Vitter (R-La.) would deny a popular federal police grant to cities that adopt "sanctuary" policies. These are policies that prohibit police from reporting illegal aliens to the feds.

If the amendment passes, it is unlikely that any city would give up the federal funding in order to continue to provide sanctuary to illegal aliens.

Generally, sanctuary policies instruct city employees not to notify the federal government of the presence of illegal aliens living in their communities. The policies also end the distinction between legal and illegal immigration--so illegal aliens often benefit from city services too.

NumbersUSA members have to carry the responsibility to get this passed. Talk Radio has not been revved up on this. This amendment has come up so fast that hardly any organization has notified its members.

The burden falls on you nearly half-million NumbersUSA members. The only way this anti-sanctuary amendment can pass is if you pick up that phone and make the calls. Only then will Senators realize they will be held accountable for how they act on this.

We will be grading this heavily in our Immigration-Reduction Grade Cards.

Large numbers of people have been robbed, raped, beaten and even murdered by illegal aliens who came in contact with police in sanctuary cities but were let go because the police weren't allowed to report them to the feds.

Even larger numbers of Americans have seen the quality of life of their communities and their occupations deteriorated because of the presence of masses of protected illegal aliens in these sanctuary cities.

And Americans everywhere tend to see more illegal immigration into their communities simply because the publicity about sanctuary cities entices more foreign workers to decide to move to the U.S. to become illegal aliens.

Let's put an end to Sanctuary City policies NOW!

PHONE TALKING POINTS

Call your state's two U.S. Senators at 202-224-3121.

If you have difficulty getting through, call one of their state offices. You can find those phone numbers and the names of your Senators by clicking on: www.NumbersUSA.com/myMembers

TELL THE STAFFER WHO ANSWERS THE PHONE SOMETHING LIKE THIS:

* I am calling about H.R. 3093, the CJS spending bill.

* I am urging a YES vote on Sen. Vitter's amendment to prohibit "COPS" money to cities that support sanctuary policies. (COPS is a federal grant program to state and local law enforcement agencies to advance community policing.)

THAT IS ALL YOU HAVE TO SAY AND THEN SAY 'THANK YOU.' OR YOU CAN CHOOSE TO PICK ONE TO THREE OF THE FOLLOWING ITEMS TO MENTION:

* Only Senators who seek to protect illegal aliens and promote illegal immigration would vote against the Vitter amendment. I am counting on Sen. xmxmxmx to vote YES.

* Sanctuary policies have been against federal law since the 1996 federal immigration la w required local governments to cooperate with Department of Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement. But many cities have refused to do so, adopting so-called "sanctuary policies." Unfortunately, the Clinton and Bush Justice Departments have refused to bring suit against these cities.

* The Vitter amendment would seek to eliminate sanctuary policies in local municipalities, whereby law enforcement officials are barred from asking suspects about their immigration status or reporting them to Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE).

* The amendment would ensure that existing law is enforced uniformly across the country by withholding COPS federal funding for cities that choose to violate section 642(a) of the 1996 Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act (IIRIRA).

* It is highly unlikely that any sanctuary cities in our state will lose funding because nearly all of them will end up ending their sanctuary policies once they see they will lose federal funding by keeping them.

BONUS AMENDMENT

When you call your Senators, also ask them to support an amendment from Sen. Elizabeth Dole (R-N.C.).

It would add $75 million for 287(g) program-related training, exercises, and technical assistance.

Scores of cities, counties and states across the country are in line to get the 287(g) program training so they can aggressively go after illegal aliens in their jurisdictions. But few can get the training because Congress hasn't appropriated enough money for the training.

While we put a stop to sanctuary policies in cities with officials who don't respect the rule of law, the feds should be doing everything possible to help those jurisdictions who are ready to do all they can to help identify and detain the illegal aliens in their areas.

Please check your Action Buffet corkboard for any faxes that are available for you to send on various immigration issues. (We are not posting faxes on the sanctuary amendment because it is unlikely there will be enough time for staffers to tabulate them and report them to the Senators before the floor vote.)

On your corkboard, you should see a phone note about this wonderful opportunity for amendments on the CJS spending bill. Please click the response items to let us know you have made your calls.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO CAN RESPOND QUICKLY,

ceelynn: Thanks for the info. Count me in - I'll call first thing tomorrow.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I will call also do not know if it will do any good here.

The two that are from the state of AZ are for letting the illegals from mexico stay in the U.S. Of A. free of charge
    BigMonkey

I sent emails this evening and will call tomarrow morning.

Thanks for the info. It will be a huge step in the right direction if we can eliminate the sanctuary cities. The illegals are leaving in droves from areas that are enforcing immigration laws.

If the entire country enforces the law, they will eventually be forced to return to their own country.

Please call on this!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

April
    I will be posting an action alert on this in the morning to get everyones attention. Everyone please be ready to act! We need to jump on this Patriots!

Great idea - thanks April. Will do - already planning on the usual round of phone calls/faxes/emails...

Thanks April; I'll be ready.

I can't wait until Cambridge, MA gets their funding cut! They're a bunch of globalist elitists who hate the USA. Believe me, I know some of them. They don't allow any patriots to live there.

How dare these cities defy federal law??