Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Anti-terror laws keep Hmong refugees out of U.S.

Anti-terror laws keep Hmong refugees out of U.S.

Posted February 20, 2007
    The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Anti-terror laws aimed at keeping terrorists out of the United States have disqualified many Hmong refugees.

The Hmong only a few years ago received special recognition from Congress for their work as allies of U.S. troops during the Vietnam War.

Under provisions of the USA Patriot Act and the Real ID Act, the Hmong who fought alongside the Americans in the "secret war" against communists in Laos are considered terrorists and are therefore ineligible for asylum or green cards.

Ironically, in 2000, Congress passed a law easing the citizenship requirements for the Hmong in recognition of those efforts.

"Clearly, it's absurd that people who fought with us — people who have received special exemptions from the law precisely for that conduct — should be barred from coming to the U.S. as refugees as a result of that conduct," said Melanie Nezer, an attorney for the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society, who is coordinating a working group aimed at changing the laws.

The Hmong began arriving in large numbers during the 1970s, in the aftermath of the Vietnam War, and there were about 170,000 in the U.S. as of the 2000 U.S. Census, with most settled in California, Minnesota and Wisconsin. A later wave of about 15,000 settled here in 2005.

The anti-terror restrictions, which have ensnared other groups as well, also bar people who provided "material support" to terrorist organizations.

Last month the Bush administration announced it was granting waivers of that restriction to eight groups, but the Hmong were not among them.

In Thailand, 153 Hmong refugees have been in limbo as they await resettlement from an immigration detention center in the northern town of Nong Khai.

Xee Vang, of Menasha, said her brother-in-law, his wife and their eight children are among those at the detention center.

Vang said her brother-in-law, whom she declined to identify by name, had fought alongside the U.S. during the Vietnam War, then fled to the jungle.

"It's very emotionally draining and frightening to hear about him and his family," said Vang, who spoke on behalf of herself and her husband, Chou Vang. "My husband is taking it very hard."

She said they have given up hope that their relatives will be able to come to the United States.

"I think it's unfair and stopping a lot of people who are legitimate refugees, who have sided with the U.S.," Vang said of the U.S. restrictions.

Paul Rosenzweig, the Department of Homeland Security's acting assistant secretary for international affairs, said most Hmong families have members who actually took up arms and so would not be eligible for the material support waiver. He said the Bush administration is working on legislation to ease the restriction on the Hmong and other groups, which it will propose to Congress.

http://www.thenorthwestern.com/apps/pbc ... 00036/1987

Am I to understand that everyperson in the world will be coming to the united states to seek a better life ? Why can't other countries be made better ?

I stopped giving to any charities because of groups like this -

Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society ,

I think a lot of us are funding these types of groups when we donate to charity .

The United States is the ONLY place that they can come?? We have to take everyone???
    They all love Uncle Sap, er, I mean Sam.
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>