Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Arizona lawmaker set to ramp up fight against illegals

Arizona lawmaker set to ramp up fight against illegals

By Valerie Richardson

The Washington Times

7:59 p.m., Tuesday, December 28, 2010
    MugshotRussell Pearce

Arizona took a public-relations punch to the gut after passing the nation's toughest anti-illegal-immigration law earlier this year, but anyone who thinks (or hopes) the state Legislature will lower its profile on the border-security issue in 2011 likely will be disappointed.

The state is positioned like never before to expand its efforts to combat illegal immigration. The November election saw Republican Jan Brewer elected to a second term as governor, largely on the strength of her decision to sign the headline-making law, while the Republican Party added to its already sizable majorities in the state House and Senate.

Most significantly of all, Russell Pearce was elected Arizona Senate president. For those who may not have heard of Mr. Pearce, let's just say that the 63-year-old Republican from Mesa wants to crack down on illegal immigration like desert javelinas want to eat prickly-pear cactus.

"I'm not stopping until the problem is solved, and clearly the problem is not solved," Mr. Pearce said in a telephone interview. "The cost is destroying this country, and it can no longer be ignored. I think America's had it. I think that's why we had the results we did in the election of 2010."

It won't come without a political price. Arizona was subjected to a public tongue-lashing from President Obama and all manner of boycott threats after the April passage of Senate Bill 1070, which requires police to check individuals for their immigration status after traffic stops and other detentions.

Mr. Pearce is himself routinely described by the left as a nativist, a bigot and worse. His ascension to the top Senate post was greeted by the liberal Phoenix New Times with a story that described him as "Arizona's Pope of Prejudice."

Even so, Mr. Pearce says he has no intention of backing down. He noted that Senate Bill 1070 has received consistently strong support in nationwide polls, to the point where other states are considering similar legislation.

"America's on our side, so why would we retreat from doing what's right?" he said. "We have a direct moral obligation to enforce the laws of our nation."

First on his list is a bill to end birthright citizenship. Mr. Pearce and other lawmakers plan to unveil the measure at a Jan. 5 press conference at the National Press Club, five days before the start of the Arizona legislative session.

The idea is to make a big enough splash to catch the attention of other states that may be considering similar legislation. At least a dozen states are already expected to join Arizona in introducing legislation changing how they recognize the U.S.-born children of noncitizens.

Story Continues →
    ‹‹ previous123next ››

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -illegals/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... ls/?page=2

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... ls/?page=3
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

good for you
    this was on fox news to day about the Illeagl Immigrant they are hurt . they don't want to be call illegal Immigrant well they are they want to be call Latino's well in my book if your In our country Illegal well that what you are . On fox news that have vote to see what we have to say I say illegal Immigrant that what whey are no other way to Put it
    get them the hell Out
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Fox has been hitting this issue hard this morning

Banned
    Now isn't it racist of latino's to consider themselves all the illegals? We refer to "illegal aliens" and they say "hey thats us! But call us latino's...". What about all the other illegals out there who aren't latino. Now we see who's really racist yet again.

Journalists hate being told what to say and write!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

They are ILLEGAL ALIENS. I am a LEGAL AMERICAN. I think that is simple enough.

First on his list is a bill to end birthright citizenship. Mr. Pearce and other lawmakers plan to unveil the measure at a Jan. 5 press conference at the National Press Club, five days before the start of the Arizona legislative session.
    Now that is great news!

Hey Justthefacts, has FOX been talking about states looking into passing laws concerning the supposed citizenship of anchors?

Think I'll turn on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by stevetheroofer
    Journalists hate being told what to say and write!
    Unless they're paid to.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)