Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Authorities Raid Little Village Mall

Authorities Raid Little Village Mall
    1. Several Agencies Target Counterfeit Document Ring
    Get breaking news alerts
    (CBS) CHICAGO U.S. immigration authorities were searching businesses Tuesday afternoon in the predominantly Latino Little Village neighborhood on the Southwest Side. People took to the streets in protest of the raid.
    As CBS 2’s Rafael Romo reports, there was no confirmation of the events from immigration authorities but witnesses say as many as 160 people were arrested in the Little Village Plaza strip mall.
    Anger, frustration and, ultimately, solidarity spilled into the streets of Little Village Tuesday afternoon. Chicago police only showed up after residents flooded 26th Stree and Albany Avenue. Participants held signs that said things like "no one is illegal."Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents were apparently targeting a ring that counterfeits and sells immigration documents in the area. Many people complained that others who had nothing to do with counterfeiting were also arrested.

"Selling illegal papers to immigrants so we can work, basically. That’s all we buy them for, is to work,” said Little Village resident Luz Nolasco. “But apparently that’s against the law and God forbid we help America!"

Several agencies participated in the raid and witnesses say they were heavily armed when they raided the businesses.

“They came out here and they had these big guns and they were looking for people under cars and in the stores,” said witness Jesus Figueroa.

Witnesses say up to 200 agents stormed the mall, locking it down and asking everyone inside and in the parking lot for IDs.

“They told me they had more than 122 people in custody, but they let them go, mostly. They got in custody 18 people,” Little Village resident Sandy Torres said friends told her.

Others have heard 16 people were taken into custody.

“Apparently they had 60 warrants. It appears that they rounded up over 160 people,” said Fr. Brendan Curran of St. Pius Catholic Church. “They have 16 detained at this moment… we’re not sure why.”

“It’s a show of force. We believe it was done to intimidate this community. We can’t see it any other way,” said Ald. George Cardenas (12th). “The number of people involved in this operation is just overwhelming.”

Ald. Ricardo Munoz (22nd) called the operation overkill.“It was way overkill. They had machine guns, shotguns, bullet-proof vests. It was a huge, huge endeavor,” Munoz said. “They struck fear into the heart of the Little Village community.

The operation took the community and police by surprise.

When asked if federal agents tipped Chicago police off to the raid, Sgt. Fernando Garcia said, “Not at all. We're not privy to that.”

Immigration authorities did not make any comments Tuesday afternoon. There will be a press conference early Wednesday to address questions about this raid. Representatives from the U.S. Attorney's Office, the FBI and Immigration and Customs Enforcement will be present. Some community residents are expected to protest there, calling for immigration reform.
    CBS 2's Rafael Romo and Dana Kozlov contributed to this report.
    (© MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

ALL I GOTTA SAY IS"WAY TO GO ICE.'
    ANYONE KNOW HOW I CAN CONTACT ICE AND COMMEND THEM FOR DOING THEIR JOB WHEN NO ONE ELSE WILL.

They were conterfeiting SS cards, geen cards, IDs and driver licenses.

"Selling illegal papers to immigrants so we can work, basically. That’s all we buy them for, is to work,” said Little Village resident Luz Nolasco. “But apparently that’s against the law and God forbid we help America!"
    Apparently that is against the law? Illegal aliens are against the law and document fraud is against the law and you are not helping america you are driving it into the ground so it can be just like where you came from
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"Selling illegal papers to immigrants so we can work,"

Did I detect the word illegal? Are they understanding that selling illegal papers to do work illegally is illegal.....that's a lot of illegals.

As far as helping this country. I worked in Mexico many years. As every day goes by our areas with high illegal influx looks more & more like Mexico. Thanks but no thanks for the help.

I told you the number for I.C.E. on another posting when it all happened.
    I asked everyone to call I.C.E. and thank them. 1-312-347-2210 I.C.E.
    We all need to call Monday and demand they go in and take Ms. Illegal
    Felon Fugitive from the Church May 1st. They should have a easy time
    doing this since they will all be out marching illegally on our street.

I live in a suburb of Chicago and have been following this story. The thing that has struck me is that these 'Little Village people' are genuinely angry that criminals in the midst of their community have been arrested. I have yet to hear one of them express relief that this forgery operation was shut down. It is almost as if they are mad that it was!
    Now this is the most amazing thing.........other minority communities are pleased when criminals are taken into custody. African-Americans in public housing want the gangs and criminals OUT! Other minorities seem to feel the same way. If there is criminal activity in their neighborhoods, they have set up neighborhood watch groups. I have seen people go on TV to request help in eliminating gangs and crime. They have staged rallies calling for more police presence. Then here we have these individuals complaining bitterly because law enforcement came in and removed the very criminals most people would be glad to be rid of! Next they will probably file a bunch of lawsuits.

You can help by simply leaving!!!!

The reason that Hispanics are unhappy about this raid is legal or illegal, criminal or non-criminal it is all about raza with them. I am sure that many of the arrested were illegals who bought these fake documents. I guess it is ok with the raza as long as it enables them to work in this country illegally. This will be our future folks if we don't fight!

This is why we must call and demand I.C.E. get Ms. Illegal out of church.
    They are setting up other sanction churches across the country - they
    figure this one is working why not set up more.
    Let your voices be heard tomorrow at I.C. E - we may not have another change.

Ironic, isn't it? All we have heard from the illegal sympathizers since day one is that it isn't local, state, county law enforcement's job to enforce immigration law nor should the MM be patrolling our borders. And yet have you noticed that with every federal raid to enforce our immigration laws all we have heard from them is screaming and complaining? Hypocrites!

I agree the feds need to flush out little miss felon in that church and disallow sanctuary in ciities and churches for law breakers.

ICE say that sanctuary cities and churches will not stop them from going in and arresting illegals who have been deported. I think we will see this happening and the arrest of church officials who think they are above the law. They are not acting in behalf of GOD but their own benefits. If the illegals are allowed to stay they will donate money. They are breaking Gods law as well as our law. God say that we are to respect the laws of the land and it say that illegals are illegally here and have broken the law.