Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Aztlan reasoning is a joke..

Okay guys and gals..I just got into a brief message board spat with a zealous Aztlan supporter so I did a little homework. My source? The Mexican Government!! I found a history lesson for kids. This land they call Aztlan and claim to be theirs was actually conqeured by the Spanish in the mid 1500's. This land was briefly a part of Mexico via conqeust by Europeans. They act like it was always theirs and the Europeans took it from them. When in fact the Europeans took it FOR them and then lost it after Texas wanted no part of Mexico. If anyone has a legitimate complaint it is the Native Americans that lived in the area....not Mexicans or even the indigenous people of the Mexicas.

The Viceregal Authorities
    Colonial period

In New Spain, the Viceroy was the maximum authority. He oversaw viceregal policies, ensured that justice was imparted and administered the economy; he was also head of the army and was responsible for protecting the Catholic Church.

Aside from the Viceroy, there were two Audiencias or higher tribunals that dealt with the complaints of the inhabitants, imparted justice and ensured compliance with the laws. One of these tribunals was in Mexico City and the other was in Guadalajara.

The Alcaldes Mayores or magistrates governed the Indian villages, while the Corregidores took charge of the Spanish towns. The most important city authorities were the Cabildos or Town Councils. This town council system has lasted to the present day, and was brought to New Spain by the Conquistadors. At the end of the 18th century, New Spain was divided into Intendances, which formed the basis for the current political division of the Mexican states.

Although the Spanish population was initially concentrated in the center of Mexico, it soon spread to the modern-day states of Michoacán and Jalisco and continued northwards along the Pacific coast. The Spaniards occupied the Zapotec and Mixtec region, and later embarked on the difficult conquest of the Yucatán peninsula and the mountainous southeastern region, where they finally overcame the fierce resistance of the Maya people.

Towards the mid 16th century, the Spaniards discovered rich silver deposits in Zacatecas and Durango, which encouraged the exploration and conquest of northern Mexico beyond the Grande River (known as Río Bravo in Mexico), well into what is now the territory of the United States of America. The resistance of the nomadic tribes of this immense region made a stable process of colonization very difficult. The borders of northern New Spain therefore remained largely undefined for a long time, and were not officially established until 1786. At this time, the Colony covered an area of four million square kilometers, twice the size of modern-day Mexico.

Source: SEP, Department of Education.
    <div>"You know your country is dying when you have to make a distinction between what is moral and ethical, and what is legal." -- John De Armond</div>

i know.. it's amazing how their history gets all twisted.