Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bachmann Wins Iowa Straw Poll.

Bachmann Wins Iowa Straw Poll, Cements Her Top-Tier Status in GOP Race!

VIDEO:

Ames, Iowa – Rep. Michele Bachmann won the Iowa Straw Poll Saturday, affirming her status as a top-tier candidate in the Republican race to challenge President Obama in 2012.

Bachmann received 28 percent of the nearly 17,000 votes cast. Texas Rep. Ron Paul was close behind her with 27 percent. Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty came in a distant third with 13 percent of the vote, followed by former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum with 9 percent and businessman Herman Cain with 8 percent.

Republican presidential candidate Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., speaks during the Iowa Republican Party's Straw Poll, Saturday, Aug. 13, 2011, in Ames, Iowa.

Republican presidential candidates, from left to right: former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum; former Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty; Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas; Rep. Thaddeus McCotter, R-Mich.; businessman Herman Cain; Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn. pose for a group photo at the Republican Party's Straw Poll in Ames, Iowa, Saturday, Aug. 13, 2011.

"We just sent a message that Obama will be a one-term president," Bachmann told her cheering supporters outside of her bus. Bachmann cast her victory as a "down payment on taking our country back."

"We just crossed a very important hurdle, but it's the first one," she said to Mike Huckabee. "This is a wonderful result today and we couldn't be more grateful to the people of Iowa."

The daylong political festival was the first indication of how these Republicans are faring with the GOP base. Nine candidates were on the ballot, and voting ran for six hours on the campus of Iowa State University.

Most of the buzz had revolved around Bachmann, whose supporters were a huge presence at the outdoor circus before the votes were cast.

But Pawlenty arguably had the most on the line as his aides had said that if he didn't finish at least second or third, they would have to evaluate whether he can move forward.

It remains to be seen how the third-place finish would affect Pawlenty's campaign. Poor showings usually force some candidates, mostly those who are not well-known and are struggling to raise money, to abandon their bids, and that could happen this year, too.

But Pawlenty, whose heated exchanges with Bachmann was the highlight of Thursday's debate in Iowa, immediately congratulated his Minnesota rival.

"We made progress in moving from the back of the pack into a competitive position for the caucuses, but we have a lot more work to do," he said in a statement. "This is a long process to restore America -- we are just beginning and I'm looking forward to a great campaign."

Paul, who has had the most devout and loyal following at the event this year, got the surprise showing he was looking for in hopes that it would convince Republicans that he was more mainstream than not in his second shot at the GOP nomination.

"Dr. Paul is surging in this race, and today's results show the strength of his grassroots support and top notch organization," Paul campaign spokesman Jesse Benton said. "These straw poll results, our growing poll numbers and our strong fundraising shows that our message is resonating with Iowans and Americans everywhere."

In the last few weeks, Santorum has been making noise with a family tour of the entire state of Iowa. And having barely registered in public polls for months, he got fourth-place finish he was seeking.

Two major Republican players -- former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and Texas Gov. Rick Perry -- are not on the ballot but their supporters were still trying to make a splash for them at the straw poll because for the first time, Iowans were able to submit write-in votes.

Perry, who announced his candidacy earlier Saturday, came in sixth place with 3.6 percent of the vote, ahead of GOP front-runner Mitt Romney, former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich of Georgia and former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman, all of whom didn't compete in the contest.

The poll results are nonbinding, amount to a popularity contest and offer candidates a chance to test their get-out-the-vote organizations.

Those willing to shell out $30 for a ticket were eligible to vote, though some campaigns paid for tickets they distributed to backers. Some also organized bus caravans to bring backers to the event. Turnout in the past has ranged from 14,000 to 23,000.

Bachmann's victory may provide a road map for the Iowa campaign heading into the caucuses that are just four months away. But the straw poll has a mixed record of predicting the winner of that contest.

In 2008, Romney won the straw poll, but the big news was the surprising second-place showing of former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee. Huckabee won the Iowa caucuses, but dropped from the race soon after. McCain, who eventually won the nomination, didn't compete in the straw poll and finished in 10th place.

Fox News' Carl Cameron and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08 ... z1UyV7GOB7
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: Bachmann Wins Iowa Straw Poll.

McCain, who eventually won the nomination, didn't compete in the straw poll and finished in 10th place.
    "Don't be fooled again America!"
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

RELATED

Bachmann wins Iowa Straw Poll - Perry Jumps Into Race
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-246875.html
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Here are the official votes from the Iowa GOP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1oU9_hy3mA

2011 Straw Poll Full Results (Votes, %)

1. Congresswoman Michele Bachmann (4823, 28.55%)
    2. Congressman Ron Paul (4671, 27.65%)
    3. Governor Tim Pawlenty (2293, 13.57%)
    4. Senator Rick Santorum (1657, 9.81%)
    5. Herman Cain(1456, 8.62%)
    6. Governor Rick Perry (718, 3.62%) write-in
    7. Governor Mitt Romney (567, 3.36%)
    8. Speaker Newt Gingrich (385, 2.28%)
    9. Governor Jon Huntsman (69, 0.41%)
    10. Congressman Thad McCotter (35, 0.21%)
    Scattering (162, 0.96 %) Includes all those receiving votes at less than one-percent that were not on the ballot.

At this time, I'm thinking of either voting for M. Bachman or R. Paul.

Remember that Ron Paul flip flopped on his illegal immigration stand in 2008. He is now a friend of La Raza, and against the American worker who have families to support.

From http://www.numbersusa.com/content/actio ... ances.html

Barack Obame 'F'

Ron Paul 'F'

Gary Johnson 'F'

Rick Santorum 'F'

Gingrich, Huntsman, Perry 'D -'

Palin, Romney 'D'

Cain 'C -'

Pawlenty 'C +'

Bachmann 'B -'
    Ron Paul in 2011 "[...]no amnesty should be granted. Maybe a 'green card' with an asterisk should be issued[...]a much better option than deportation."

Well what do you all think of this lady?
    http://video.foxnews.com/v/110970100200 ... t_id=87485

If she's the girl for us, we need to start campaigning for her hardcore!

Quote Originally Posted by GoodOleDays
    Remember that Ron Paul flip flopped on his illegal immigration stand in 2008. He is now a friend of La Raza, and against the American worker who have families to support.
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Ron Paul did not "flip flop" on his illegal immigration stance from 2008. He has always been against the American workers who have families to support. Myself and several others were telling you guys exactly this in 2008. Over and over.
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

Looks like Bachmann it is then. Can you imagine having a woman POTUS?

She might actually have a chance against "Scary Perry". I'm praying she doesn't say or do something stupid.....

The media is already raking her over the coals. Then again, I heard one talking head compare Perry to Bush and all their similarities.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by BearFlagRepublic
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodOleDays
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Ron Paul did not "flip flop" on his illegal immigration stance from 2008. He has always been against the American workers who have families to support. Myself and several others were telling you guys exactly this in 2008. Over and over.
    Well, Ron Paul's misguided fans keep posting what he said in 2008 about illegal immigration before people like Tom Tancredo set them straight this year, so I was just covering all the bases.

Fact is, even Obama has not talked about opening up our borders once the US passes a law that disallows illegal immigrants from receiving welfare, but Ron Paul has. So Ron Paul is to the left of Obama when it comes to fighting for the rights of the citizens.

I have a question. Since this is a forum for fighting any type of amnesty, why is there so much information that appears to be promoting/supporting the politician who seems to be at odds with those here who are fighting illegal immigration so hard? I don't get it.
    Ron Paul in 2011 "[...]no amnesty should be granted. Maybe a 'green card' with an asterisk should be issued[...]a much better option than deportation."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast